• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters

FranXico

Executive editor at IGN and Xbox guru Ryan McCaffrey said that he is dissapointed and letdown by Xbox Series X|S launch line up, when this was brought into discussion in the latest Unlocked podcast.

Link to streamable:

Edit: linking to source instead of twitter.

Edit 2: added a poll, as someone requested.

Edit 3: tweet confirming the statement, along with further elaboration.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Salient point. They seem to be intent on disseminating their games to every possible console.. i imagine some people are just gonna want good games on a good system.. when i realised that I'll be able to play every xBox game on my computer, any residual interest i ever held in getting an xsx just vanished in smoke~

Last edited by a moderator:
”What am I gonna do on this thing?” Play games on it.

”How am I gonna show it off?” Play games on it.

I’m sure Phil Spencer is even more disappointed than we are that there are no big launch exclusives, but it is what it is. Series X will still play all cross gen games better than XB1 and it will play next gen multiplats. If you want the new gen excitement then buy a PS5 now and check back with Xbox in a year or two. That’s all there is to it.

Last edited:

Bankai

I think it's great that he doesn't kiss Xbox's ass, just because he runs a Xbox centric podcast.

There are WAY more reasons to get excited about Xbox Series X, when you didn't get into Xbox One. I didn't get a Xbox One, got everything on PS4. Therefor I missed out on some great games like Gears 5, Forza series and something like Sunset Overdrive.

Though, I still won't be getting a new Xbox day one. First I want to see new AAA first party titles, like the new Fable. Then I'm in!

Why yes, Xbox Series games can be played on One X, this has been known and well publicised by Microsoft for over a year - yet somehow Ryan has a Eureka moment reading the lineup list that Xbox doesn't believe in generations.

If he can't see the difference between playing a game in 1080p/30 and 4k/60, or in 120hz, then that's his issue.

On another note, quoting straight Twitter warriors like The Red Dragon is poor form and you're better than it OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salient point. They seem to be intent on disseminating their games to every possible console.. i imagine some people are just gonna want good games on a good system.. when i realised that I'll be able to play every xBox game on my computer, any residual interest i ever held in getting an xsx just vanished in smoke~

You missed the entire point. Has nothing to do with if a Microsoft game is on a computer but more there isn't really anything "nextgen" on the console at the moment. I would argue NBA2k21 but I think many people in these circles are ignoring this game.

Last edited:
I made a thread on the industry implications of this.

It's bad. An Xbox lover like Ryan isn't hard to please and won over by MS - he's as hardcore to the brand as they come. So you know it's extremely bad when even he can't sugar coat it. It's laughably bad compared to previous Xbox launches according to this:

Kot.jpg

https://kotaku.com/let-s-compare-every-xbox-consoles-launch-lineup-1845097753

Obviously I get that casuals will buy it to play COD, Madden, NBA2K21 etc but for the hardcore, the likes which frequent Gaf to make excuses (they know better).... ooofff. Phil had 6 years to prepare and is asking for 2-3 more. Close to a decade. Biggest pimp to ever grace gaming. Then all he talks about is Gamepass. Where the damn AAA exclusive games?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Not true. PS5 launch ain’t the best but it’s still decent. Demons Soul, Godfall, Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man are good launch games . XSX has nothing
This is easily Sony’s best launch line up ever. Xbox has absolutely nothing. If people weren’t such fanboys and were actually looking for games to play on November 19th, PS absolutely smokes Xbox. MFs writing off Demon’s as ‘just a remaster’ are on drugs. The game looks absolutely unreal and unlike anything we’ve seen before in relation to console graphics.

Yeah but not 500 bucks worthy
i disagree. I’m getting 5 launch games. The lineup is absolutely worth the entry fee.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Fairplay to Ryan. That’s why no worries about getting a Xbox series x, you should wait next year or 2022 to get the best of it (hopefully)

DonJimbo

This is easily Sony’s best launch line up ever. Xbox has absolutely nothing. If people weren’t such fanboys and were actually looking for games to play on November 19th, PS absolutely smokes Xbox. MFs writing off Demon’s as ‘just a remaster’ are on drugs. The game looks absolutely unreal and unlike anything we’ve seen before in relation to console graphics.

i disagree. I’m getting 5 launch games. The lineup is absolutely worth the entry fee.
And I disagree with you
When I can play the games that I interest on the PS4 pro aswell why should I spent 500 bucks on a new machine that makes no fucking sense

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Not true. PS5 launch ain’t the best but it’s still decent. Demons Soul, Godfall, Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man are good launch games . XSX has nothing
Both consoles? Sony is having one of the best gaming launches of all time.
PS5 launch is fantastic, DS, SM, Sackboy, Godfall, shortly followed by Rachet and God of War
I didn't mean based on a single thing (games).
Sony showed [launch] games, but was very silent most of the time giving info with a drip feeder, while MS did the opposite.

Last edited:
Genuinely surprised to hear him being honest about Xbox's horrible launch lineup. Come to think of it, this is the second time in 2020 that he's commented on Xbox's launch games -- or lack thereof.

Supporting oldass games is neat, but your new console can't rely on nostalgia. You need new stuff for your new thing. Sales will be strong at launch, but if the millions of people who buy your console find themselves with nothing new to play not even a month after launch then you've got a real problem on your hands.

DonJimbo

Genuinely surprised to hear him being honest about Xbox's horrible launch lineup. Come to think of it, this is the second time in 2020 that he's commented on Xbox's launch games -- or lack thereof.

Supporting oldass games is neat, but your new console can't rely on nostalgia. You need new stuff for your new thing. Sales will be strong at launch, but if the millions of people who buy your console find themselves with nothing new to play not even a month after launch then you've got a real problem on your hands.
Theyre compensating the lack of new games with Gamepass

ToadMan

I was surprised by this opinion coming from him. He has always been very hyped about all things Xbox.

I think the Geoff Keighley interview really spun him around.

You could see in that interview he really identified with Keighley and maybe even idolised him - at the end when Keighley wasn’t impressed with the direction MS had taken, I think it started McCaffrey questioning things too.

https://www.ign.com/articles/geoff-...kojima-xbox-vs-ps5-and-more-ign-unfiltered-53

They’re going to be playing Demon’s Souls. PC gamers and Xbox players will be playing CP2077 as they’ll have fuck all else to do.

Pretty much. I'm playing Demon Souls first, Sackboy second, then Godfall, then Spider-man.... and hopefully by the time I'm done with those CP2077 next-gen versions would have released and the game is at discount.

People are putting sooo much stock on a single game. If it doesn't deliver on a personal level.... what then? The whole narrative crumbles - whether they admit to it or not online for face saving reasons.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Do you honestly think PC gamers have nothing to play?

Because....

If you enjoy shitty games like Legion and Ass Creed, good luck to you
Remake2 was indeed fantastic, loved every second, but it didn't have Cyberpunk 2077 as competition when it launched.

Again, this is one of the most highly anticipated games ever. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. I’m looking forward to it but not until I’m done with actual next gen games. Looks phenomenal.

Last edited:

klosos

I can see his point about the lack of Day one exclusive content , However both Consoles are impressing me right now TBH , and i am looking for ward to see what they both bring in the next couple of years.

Lets not kid our self Xbox have gone the complete wrong way for the last 8 or so years but slowly they are turning it around. I mean Gamepass is excellent and Phil Spencer was left with a Train wreck by the previous head of Xbox ( i cant remember his name , a smug arsehole) and is doing a good job as far as i can tell.

TrebleShot

I have to say I'm sat here with my XSX pre order and I'm wondering why I need to keep it...

I was genuinely hyped to play the new Halo, I got myself a one s with the hope to relive the memories of Halo 1,2, 3 and the later entries.

I feel completely deflated by the launch and can't get excited about playing games I'm currently playing on my one s....I mean I guess forza horizon 4 will look nice but its 500 that I could commit to PS5 launch games.

Cant decide. Maybe I just keep it? Tide me over until the PS5 arrives.

Top Bottom