• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey: Xbox Exclusive Game Drought is Officially Over

Zones

Exactly timed with project Athena being 2 years timed that is the new bar. So 2024 for Xbox fans to play Starfield. My favorite is Microsoft should just sit idle and let Sony content starve them with endless timed exclusives and don't return the favor. Sony wants to buy timed exclusives Microsoft gets more value buying studios for the dollar.
First of all, Microsoft can’t buy timed exclusivity because most games sell the overwhelming majority on PlayStation and third parties aren’t willing to forgo and upset that large install base for some upfront money (case in point: Rise of the Tomb Raider).

Second... both Bethesda timed exclusives have 1-year expiration period, so there’s a precedent in place already.

And third, you are absolutely living in a fantasy world in which you make up shit based on unsubstantiated hearsay and think you somehow know what was going to happen. If you don’t have a reliable source for the nonsense you spout regarding Starfield, then I suggest you keep all that false information to yourself (or don’t and make a fool of yourself publicly).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
tenor.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
First of all, Microsoft can’t buy timed exclusivity because most games sell the overwhelming majority on PlayStation and third parties aren’t willing to forgo and upset that large install base for some upfront money (case in point: Rise of the Tomb Raider).

Second... both Bethesda timed exclusives have 1-year expiration period, so there’s a precedent in place already.

And third, you are absolutely living in a fantasy world in which you make up shit based on unsubstantiated hearsay and think you somehow know what was going to happen. If you don’t have a reliable source for the nonsense you spout regarding Starfield, then I suggest you keep all that false information to yourself (or don’t and make a fool of yourself publicly).

Spidey Fan

Banned
The level of hate against Xbox on this website is next level. Seems any positive sentiments or news toward Xbox enrages so many users and gets drowned out in a sea of salty tears. Why?
This site is full of Sony fans. Been seen worst shit than this. This post is tame, compared to others.

Bethesda become shit, the moment Microsoft bought them. Before, people were hyped about starfield.

I am a pc guy, so I just stay away from them. The anger level they had for uncharted 4 was crazy here.

The level of hate against Xbox on this website is next level. Seems any positive sentiments or news toward Xbox enrages so many users and gets drowned out in a sea of salty tears. Why?

Yes, this place is referred to SonyGAF for a reason, but MS hasn’t released any games yet. Saying the drought is over is clickbait idiocy. Wait until some games come out and do well. This isn’t rocket science and shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend.

LastBattle

Yes, this place is referred to SonyGAF for a reason, but MS hasn’t released any games yet. Saying the drought is over is clickbait idiocy. Wait until some games come out and do well. This isn’t rocket science and shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend.
I don’t personally think there’s been a drought on Xbox. Always so much to play on Gamepass with new games being added every month since launch as well as a steady flow of third party offerings. Looks like second half of this year is pretty healthy in terms of games as well. I don’t see an issue with celebrating all the great content on the way for the foreseeable future.

I don’t personally think there’s been a drought on Xbox. Always so much to play on Gamepass with new games being added every month since launch as well as a steady flow of third party offerings. Looks like second half of this year is pretty healthy in terms of games as well. I don’t see an issue with celebrating all the great content on the way for the foreseeable future.

Even Ryan admits there has been a drought of exclusives. What big exclusive games have been available to play on the series consoles? I mean so bought a Series X because I’m interested in what is down the road, but all I play on it right now are old BC games.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Grownbreaking article from that fanboy gaming journalist - the one that had a meltdown when kojima made an exclusive for sony, the same who said “resolution doesn’t matter etc etc.

top notch journalism people! I totally believe is not biased towards Xbox ;)
Ryan is an MS cuck, no one is debating this.

Saying that you WILL have great exclusives in the next couple of years is not the same as having games NOW, I agree.

But that doesn't change the fact that MS in terms of first party development has never, EVER looked more confident and powerful.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

I feel like I've been hearing this for many years now.

Just fucking drop the games already, man.

Biggest issue I have is always the goddamn talking about how "it's going to turn around now."

Just turn it around first, and then can we rejoice in happiness instead of praising the gods for a drop of single, itsy bitsy, water during a 3-year drought.

Its always jam tomorrow with Xbox.

That said I reckon the SeriesX is going to be a really compelling proposition come 2022/23

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
All these games were coming to Xbox anyway it’s just now they have exclusive tagged to them and I can get them day one on game pass.

Will they be more enjoyable now? Or did not much really change for me, the end user?

This is the problem i have with people hyping up those acquisitions. All these titles would be coming to xbox anyway, so in that case…they don’t gain much from it.

Like what you are saying, but now a “exclusive” label is slapped on it and it’s available on their rental service. Imo there is nothing unique game wise going on here for xbox in terms of a shitload of new IP.

Shubh_C63

Maybe for 2022.
If next year Xbox releases Starfield, Halo-SP and whatever Redfall is, that is a huge step up from only relying on Gears, Forza and Halo.
Even with 3 months exclusivity, I can imagine half the sales of Stalker-2 being on Xbox/GP.

Xbox Exclusives,
Starfield - 2022
RedFall - 2022
Halo - 2022
Contraband - 2023
The Outer Worlds 2 - 2023

Timed Exclusives
12 minutes - 2021
Stalker 2 - 2022
Replaced - 2022

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's like telling people in a country with an actual drought that it is officially over because the weather forecast suggests there might be rain in a few months and even then there will be only moderate rain (maybe). Let's judge them by their output rather than their sales pitch. I'm fairly confident that by the end of 2023 we'll all swimming though.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Ryan McCaffrey
Jeff Grubb
Tom Warren

If ever I see these names I check out immediately and for a good and obvious reason.

As far as I'm concerned video game journalism is dead. All we have left is a bunch of fanboys trying to drive up web traffic by means of click bait articles.
That's all these guys are doing.

Add Destin Legaire and Paul Tassi as well as many more to that list.

Destin has his own Xbox channel on youtube where he is joined by Paul Tassi and another media guy to basically puff up and speculate what Xbox will do next. They also trash PlayStation any time they are mentioned.

I don't know what happened between PlayStation and the american media machine....but they just seem incredibly biased / opposed right now.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Grownbreaking article from that fanboy gaming journalist - the one that had a meltdown when kojima made an exclusive for sony, the same who said “resolution doesn’t matter etc etc.

top notch journalism people! I totally believe is not biased towards Xbox ;)
The same person that said timed exclusives are bad when Microsoft secured rise of the tomb raider as a timed exclusive and then praised what an incredible get ff16 was for Sony as a timed exclusive.

I think he is either inconsistent or his views have changed, who knows.

But anyway at this point its pretty trivial, to be upset about what someone said years ago.

MonarchJT

Banned
Ryan McCaffrey
Jeff Grubb
Tom Warren

If ever I see these names I check out immediately and for a good and obvious reason.

As far as I'm concerned video game journalism is dead. All we have left is a bunch of fanboys trying to drive up web traffic by means of click bait articles.
every side has theirs
Geoff Keighley
Jason Schreier
John Linneman
most Eurogamer
all IGN
all (some officially) biased towards Sony
it is what it is

Very Sony biast here plus not much to talk about in e3 week apart from photomode in ratchet and clank

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Flight Sim is about to launch. Forza and Halo later this year. More next year.

Seems over to me?

This isn't profound. Bring on the games yo!
Sorry, but Forza and Halo and Gears are not the point. They've always been there, they still sell, but they're unlikely to bring in anyone new who wasn't already Team MS. MS has been coasting on the same few franchises for a long time to diminishing returns.

2022 looks to be the start of something new though. We're seeing the Bethesda acquisition start to pay off, since they had some projects already in the pipe. Starfield and Redfall are a big deal for MS, their first exciting new IPs in a while. In 2023 we might start seeing the fruits of the Obsidian acquisition pay off. And then Double Fine maybe in 2024. This is a long road, but I think 2022 is where we really start seeing the harvest from these seeds they've planted.

This is the thing about people not understanding starfield. The fact Sony was going for it, makes it a great game. No way Sony would have touched starfield after f076. What they saw about it, changed their mind.
Yeah Starfield is going to be a prestige IP, the first MS has had in a while that can probably go head to head with Sony's in terms of reviews and GOTY chatter and general mindshare. That matters a lot.

I do think there's a good chance it slips to 2023. The date they set is not crazy aggressive, but MS isn't going to let this one ship if it's not ready for prime time. They have a lot riding on it.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Sorry, but Forza and Halo and Gears are not the point. They've always been there, they still sell, but they're unlikely to bring in anyone new who wasn't already Team MS. MS has been coasting on the same few franchises for a long time to diminishing returns.

2022 looks to be the start of something new though. We're seeing the Bethesda acquisition start to pay off, since they had some projects already in the pipe. Starfield and Redfall are a big deal for MS, their first exciting new IPs in a while. In 2023 we might start seeing the fruits of the Obsidian acquisition pay off. And then Double Fine maybe in 2024. This is a long road, but I think 2022 is where we really start seeing the harvest from these seeds they've planted.
gt,Uncharted,God of war,now the last of us, rachet ...all or very old franchises that people can't wait for....same goes for halo , gears , Forza.... the downplay of those games is silly

Not yet. I dont think any of the big hitters are hitting until 2022. Halo is at the end of the year and then we might have another year long wait until Starfield and Redfall come out.

The fact that Hellblade 2, Fable, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Avowed and State Of Decay 2 werent at this show tells me that they are at least 2 years away.

I think late 2022 onwards Xbox will become an exclusive machine. This article is like a year too early.

I don't think the fact that these games were not shown tell that they are in any case at least these 2 years away. I think it's possible that MS has kept some ammo to be shown later this year, to counter some Sony's announcements etc...

Mr.ODST

It’s weird that we are all supposed to pretend that all these Xbox games are exclusive when we all know they are on PC also.
Not being funny but were gonna be saying that about Playstation games released now, that they are just timed exclusives on Playstation.

PC is an XBOX platform, you play on Windows your already in that eco system if you buy their games on GP or Steam

Mr.ODST

I don't think the fact that these games were not shown tell that they are in any case at least these 2 years away. I think it's possible that MS has kept some ammo to be shown later this year, to counter some Sony's announcements etc...

Not going to lie, sonys showing in possibly a few weeks is going to bang and create hype for PS again no doubt about it, makes sense from marketing point of view that MS keep these games as a counter.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's all good except the "exclusive" word, MS has been open about wanting to reach as many platforms with GP as possible so many times already, wonder how many years it'll take for the people and journos to finally swallow it? I think somewhere halfway through the generation once GP gains enough traction and Sony releases more of their games on PC the word "exclusive" will have little to no meaning in the gaming world.

mejin

Ryan McCaffrey
Jeff Grubb
Tom Warren

It was always like that. It is just more shameless now cause of MS marketing is not subtle.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
[/QUOTE]
gt,Uncharted,God of war,now the last of us, rachet ...all or very old franchises that people can't wait for....same goes for halo , gears , Forza.... the downplay of those games is silly
I would probably put Ratchet and Uncharted in that some category, these reliable series that aren't doing anything new and everyone takes for granted at this point. If games like that were all Sony had, they'd be in bad shape.

God of War is a bit of an exception, though, that game was basically a soft reboot and really did bring in a lot of new people. It was much more than "another God of War." MS isn't going to do that with Halo Infinite.

But remember, Sony also brought the new IP last gen, they had Horizon, and Ghost of Tsushima, and Spider-Man and Death Stranding. They aren't just pinning their hopes entirely on Ratchet and Uncharted over and over. I do think MS learned from their mistakes last gen, but I think it's going to take time for these investments to pay off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom