• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son Of Rome |Reviews| It's going to be a bloodbath!

so was Crysis 1 a fluke ? I question Crytek's ability to make overall good games anymore.
Na, EA just cut their balls off when they forced console compatibility down their throat in an attempt to bring in more cheese.
FarCry, Crysis 1, and Warhead were all great games... EA enters the equation and their next game, Crysis 2, is a turd. Crysis 3 wasn't much better IMO.

Crytek broke my heart when they shifted priority from PC development.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The original Crysis was a PC game designed for PCs.

Every other Crytek game since has been a console game designed for consoles.

It's obvious that Crytek would have been a good PC game developer. They're awful at console games though.
Original Crysis was, as far as I know, designed by people who don't work there anymore. I doubt it has anything to do with consoles as they've got Crysis 1 working on consoles anyway.

Sorry, I've been skimming this thread, but is it the case that you only use one weapon in this game during fights? Seems like a missed opportunity. Cliche as it is, they could have pulled a 'lost all my shit gotta find whatever is around me' Metroid thing. How cool would it be to wash up on shore, sneak up and bash motherfuckers with a bigass rock until you get a weapon? Or cobbling together a cestus? Or using random shit in the scene? I can forgive simple game mechanics if there is variety.

Original Crysis was, as far as I know, designed by people who don't work there anymore. I doubt it has anything to do with consoles as they've got Crysis 1 working on consoles anyway.
The shift from sandbox level design to corridor level design was most certainly a decision made due to the constraints of console hardware. And while they do have Crysis working on consoles it looks like ass (graphics neutered) next to the PC version.

I just came back to say that I really joined this forum as a place to share my love of video games, but didn't feel compelled to post anything until I saw how many people were unfairly bashing Ryse without even having played the game. I just wanted to let people know it's really not that bad a game, and if the subject interests you, to give it a try, because you might enjoy it, just because it's a simple game, and is repeditive doesn't mean it's not engaging. But the amount of self righteousness and vitriol of some of the members in this thread alone has made me realise this isn't really a community I want to be a part of.

There's a bunch of great guys here with common sense, I don't know how you put up with this rubbish :p

and hey, maybe give Ryse a chance one day, you might like it.... :)

i have ryse..and its a bad game..sorry man

It's a shame that people will buy this no matter what. It will just confirm to MS that their fans will buy anything, even a half-baked previously 360 Kinect title that was shoehorned into the next-gen with no real thought put into how bad an idea that might be.

Get a grip dude. Some people may try it and enjoy it.

been playing ryse
at first I was like wow this is crap
but as I played it more I decided the gameplay is decently fun there is just no depth at all because of lack of weapons/enemy types/combo system and apparenty the game is too short too but im not done it yet

the thing is though all those things could easily be changed in a sequel so I definitely do not want the game to fail

I Have been playing this and have been enjoying it..

I am playing it on the second hardest setting, and once you get the timing right, it is good.

Pure hack and slash fun with sexy grfx. Never goty, but a solid 7 IMO.

So what if it reviewed shit. My own personal review is more important..

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
The shift from sandbox level design to corridor level design was most certainly a decision made due to the constraints of console hardware. And while they do have Crysis working on consoles it looks like ass (graphics neutered) next to the PC version.

I'm sure Crysis 3 has areas as big as in Crysis 1.

i remember all the shit people got in the ryse thread because the fmv thing..this game uses a LOT of fmv,it obvious and the developers lied on that regard and a lot of people attacked others defending that lie

also the facial animation on a lot of cutscenes is a step back of games like beyond way way worse,see the first cutscene with marius and his father..horrible facial capture even the models arent as detailed as the ellen page model on beyond ( the faces..the eyes,the hair)

for a game who sell graphics some of the things that put on screen arent so incredible or good looking

I Have been playing this and have been enjoying it..

I am playing it on the second hardest setting, and once you get the timing right, it is good.

Pure hack and slash fun with sexy grfx. Never goty, but a solid 7 IMO.

So what if it reviewed shit. My own personal review is more important..

same here if i listen to most forums about most games I'd probably play 1 game a year lol

MilkBeard

i remember all the shit people got in the ryse thread because the fmv thing..this game uses a LOT of fmv,it obvious and the developers lied on that regard and a lot of people attacked others defending that lie

also the facial animation on a lot of cutscenes is a step back of games like beyond way way worse,see the first cutscene with marius and his father..horrible facial capture even the models arent as detailed as the ellen page model on beyond ( the faces..the eyes,the hair)

for a game who sell graphics some of the things that put on screen arent so incredible or good looking

Yeah, I think that's mainly because of being a launch/rushed game. I noticed that with Killzone as well. Killzone looks great, but it lacks in character animation and even character detail at times.

Beyond is a special game in that regard, because they put a lot of effort into that aspect and the game focuses on the characters. But that game obviously has a different focus than most games.

Apath

For some reason seeing Kotaku - YES in the middle of all those terrible scores made me laugh my ass off.
Eh, launches are pretty much the only time it's okay to buy shitty games. It's a $60 showcase for the fancy new graphics the system can output. Same reason I bought Killzone Shadowfall (not to say that's a bad game).

Ok I was actually loving this game to the point where I was going to 1,000G it BUT I've gone back to get all collectibles and the companion app shows I'm missing one I definitely picked up and I obviously can't pick it up again. It's leontius scroll on the second level so pretty much unmissable too. I'm so annoyed at this glitchy pish. Any ideas?

Top Bottom