• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu ga Gotoku 4 Announced

~capsule

Neo Member
semiconscious said:
same! :) ...

y'know, by the end of y3, i kinda thought kiryu'd be taking something of a back seat in y4, & it'd appear he will be - i think it's a great decision...
Yeah I was hoping for the same and I'm glad it turned out this way. Maybe they can use this as a transition into another character's story so Kiryu can finally get a break (isn't he in his mid/late 40s now or something?). I'm really excited about the new characters and I can't wait for some gameplay footage.

Maybe it's time to learn Japanese now so I can play the game without looking at walls of text.

Can someone tell me if there's a way to replay chapters in Yakuza 2?

Here's the deal -- I lost my Yakuza 2 save file on my PS3 so I want to dload a virtual save off of gamefaqs. But the only one they have is of a NEW GAME +, 100% complete. So is there anyway I can just boot up to the chapter I was on?

Any way at all?

GeoramA

SolidSnakex said:
yakuza-4-20090923083511105.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14347894/imgs_1.html
:eek:

Sega sure built one fine engine for this.

GeoramA said:
:eek:

Sega sure built one fine engine for this.
Ehn, wait for the real thing before heaping praise. SEGA used bullshots to promote Kenzan and RGG3, wouldn't be shocked in the least if they were doing it again here.

Yeah I wish Yakuza 3 looked like that (or atleast from what I played of the demo). It is very blurry and doesnt have nearly the draw distance of that shot.
Maybe they've done some work on it? I mean its not a terrible engine, just saying.

Any hope for animation revamping in this one? Or is that a stupid thought.

At this point shouldn't Sega just forget about localizing 3 and move straight to 4? All the hype is building around 4. Just give it a subtitle. America won't know the difference. Past story arcs can be summed up in a few movies, like past Yakuza titles do anyway.

zoku88

CartridgeBlower said:
At this point shouldn't Sega just forget about localizing 3 and move straight to 4? All the hype is building around 4. Just give it a subtitle. America won't know the difference. Past story arcs can be summed up in a few movies, like past Yakuza titles do anyway.
That doesn't sound very smart, though....

onken said:
Yeah I'm calling bull on those shots unless they've really cranked the engine this time. Nice to see they've added rain, at least.
Are you sure there wasn't rain in 2?  I thought there was...

onken

zoku88 said:

Localizing Yakuza games full stop isn't smart, which is why it won't happen. RGG3 has THOUSANDS of lines of dialog and would be a real job to port. Not to mention being full of stuff which would seem down right creepy to westerners (pulling out someone's teeth with pliers one minute, picking accessories to match your floosy's nail polish the next). It would bomb. Hard. Guaranteed.

Are you sure there wasn't rain in 2?  I thought there was...

None in 3/Kenzan though.

simtmb

Sega should period, just forget in general about localizing the series. Not going to do them any good given how long they sit on it 'Hmmm'ing' on localization talk. It's just gonna hurt them in the end.

Either way though, after the crap that happened with Yakuza 2, taking a bit tooooo long for it to release, from them, i just said screw it, day 1 import upon whenever they come out. If by any chance they do get localized, i'll have two copies.

I don't see the problem of letting some other company localise and publish it, let them worry about it.
They could potentially just start fresh with the series even. As in give it a new name etc.
In all honesty calling it Like a Dragon or whatever it translates as is cooler than Yakuza. Then that removes the "I must play the previous 2 before this." factor. But I'm just talking out my ass here so whatever.

Fuck you guys for telling them to give up, though.

Back on topic, I enjoyed the part in the trailer with the guy (new playable character?) holding a gun in his mouth and shooting shit up. Also, the premise of 4 intertwining story arcs has me excited.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming they don't have any problems with all of the licensed products and stores in their games then I don't see why they should not do at least translate the text and subtitles and release the games outside of Japan. If Atlus can make money off the Persona games then I see no reason why Sega wouldn't be able to satisfy the hardcore fans while making some kind of profit off the RGG games.

kiryogi said:
3 new characters to play as? Oh man. Fuck yes. And I totally want a capture of the 4 of them walking down Kamurocho. So badass.

Yeah, I loved playing as Kiryu in the first 3 games, but having a different perspective in #4 is something I'm really looking forward to :)
Also, agreed about the badassness of the shot of the 4 of them walking :D

kiryogi

Banned
More stuff on the 4 leads. Courtesy of ThePatrick as always. I'll only summarize it quick. read the rest here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=974869&topic=51558904

- Gameplay includes rooftops and sewers and there will be rain (not that big a deal to me, actually)

- Pachinko Slots returns from its noted absence in Ryuu ga Gotoku 3 (groan), plus "Hot Springs Ping-Pong" has been added as a game to play against cabaret club girls. It showed a picture of the girl in the hot springs bath after the match, plus shots of Kiryuu and the girl wearing bathrobes as they played ping pong. Maybe you win the chance to get in the bath with her...?

- Fishing, "Make the #1 Cabaret Club Girl," and Karaoke return. You can sing duets in Karaoke now.

- There are four different fighting styles (of course). They describe it as being able to control "Speedster Akiyama," "Unrivalled Lightweight Suejima," and "Detective Action Tanimiya," for whatever that's worth.

- Revelations return. Tanimiya is shown writing down something in his memo pad as if he's getting a new move, but they specifically do confirm the return of this system in the text.

- Chase Battle (no!) returns. That must be the whole "Speedster Akiyama" thing. Well...I guess he's kinda a loan shark. Probably has lots of dudes running from him. There are a few pictures of the supposedly evolved system featuring Akiyama chasing some dude.

- There are four different fighting styles (of course). They describe it as being able to control "Speedster Akiyama," "Unrivalled Lightweight Suejima," and "Detective Action Tanimiya," for whatever that's worth.

And we see a pretty good example of some of the new styles we can to play with. IE you can see Tanimiya doing a heat take down and cuffing a guy. While I think Akiyama has some mean kicks.

Also on the previous video, looks like the new areas will be within tokyo. Underground malls, sewers and more.

kiryogi

Banned
The 7 lucky ladies!

02.jpg

Not in any certain order and based off facts anoop's site had:

Noa Mizutani: Ballet Teacher, 20
Maya Mori: Magazine Model, 23
Aihara Elena: Hostess, 24
RIO: Sexy Talent, 22
Saito Shizuka: Oldest candidate, veteran of japanese dance, 28
Kawasaki Himeka: Hostess, 23
Ikki Chihiro: Experienced in Kabuki, 20

Miburou

I liked RgG1 and 2, but it's really Kenzan and 3 that made me a fan of the series, and I'm still not fed up with so I welcome 4 with its new features.

By the way, people keep bringing up how the Sega has made the series a yearly installment now, but aside from the gap between 2 and Kenzan (15 months, due to transitioning from one console to another), the games have always had a year or less between each installment.

Cyntec

MidnightScott said:
I would love to play those games with English translation. They can leave the voices in Japanese for all I care, just give me subtitles!

your wish will be granted...

Yesterday Sega told me alot about Yakuza 3, after begging for more information about a western release.

To short this up: Sega brings Yakuza 3 with an english translation. Japanese voice, english subtitles - just like Y2. No internal release-date set so far, but I guess it will hit early 2010.

There are some funny background-information about the western release, but can't tell yet. Maybe I'll doo after Sega officially announced the game.

lupinko

Miburou said:
I liked RgG1 and 2, but it's really Kenzan and 3 that made me a fan of the series, and I'm still not fed up with so I welcome 4 with its new features.

By the way, people keep bringing up how the Sega has made the series a yearly installment now, but aside from the gap between 2 and Kenzan (15 months, due to transitioning from one console to another), the games have always had a year or less between each installment.

The gap between 2 and Kenzan was covered by Takashi Miike's RGG live action movie.

Man, that movie was totally ass. :lol :lol

I still had fun though. :lol

Cyntec said:

Yesterday Sega told me alot about Yakuza 3, after begging for more information about a western release.

To short this up: Sega brings Yakuza 3 with an english translation. Japanese voice, english subtitles - just like Y2. No internal release-date set so far, but I guess it will hit early 2010.

There are some funny background-information about the western release, but can't tell yet. Maybe I'll doo after Sega officially announced the game.

yay!
(early 2010 is the new October/November :( )

Do you know if they even consider the same treatment for Yakuza Kenzan? It's setting would actually be kinda more interesting, maybe if Y3 performs good in the west?

edit: eh? nobody else cares about this conformation of a western release? :lol

Cyntec

SolidusDave said:
yay!

Do you know if they even consider the same treatment for Yakuza Kenzan? It's setting would actually be kinda more interesting, maybe if Y3 performs good in the west?

edit: eh? nobody else cares about this conformation of a western release? :lol

yeah, I asked for Kenzan, too. But they don't have any plans to release it in western countries. Actually I hope it's gonna be released on a bonus disk with Y3 or something... but the translation of Y3 is already expensive enough. :-(

Ah yeah, by the way: the hostess mini-game will be included. Sega has no idea who came up with the idea this would be excluded.

Cyntec

SolidusDave said:
yay!

Well it might be released still this year, but I really doubt that since Sega doesn't even have an internal release-date yet.

It's just a bit pitty that Sega's not going to translate it in different languages besides english. Of course I don't mind, but in order to reach a greater audience it might be better

klee123

Cyntec said:

It's gonna be a PSN release right? Like how it was mentioned in the leaked Sega document right?

klee123

Cyntec said:
no, retail.

On the PSN-stuff they didn't comment.

The document also mentioned something about timed exclusivity. I was assuming that Sega would try its luck with the western markets and port it to the 360 as well.

Cyntec

klee123 said:
The document also mentioned something about timed exclusivity. I was assuming that Sega would try its luck with the western markets and port it to the 360 as well.

I really really doubt that Sega is gonna release the Yakuza-Series on the 360.. at least not in the near future. I guess a 360-PS3-port is more expensive that just to translate the game.

But maybe someday, since I never expected the Tekken-Series to hit any other console but Playstation... ^^

klee123

Cyntec said:
I really really doubt that Sega is gonna release the Yakuza-Series on the 360.. at least not in the near future. I guess a 360-PS3-port is more expensive that just to translate the game.

But maybe someday, since I never expected the Tekken-Series to hit any other console but Playstation... ^^

Well, Tekken is popular worldwide so that made sense.

Yeah, it would be more costly to port the game to the 360 than have a few extra sales.

De-mon

Cyntec said:

He is right :D Remember...

Cyntec

klee123 said:
Well, Tekken is popular worldwide so that made sense.

Yeah, it would be more costly to port the game to the 360 than have a few extra sales.

Did you already play Tekken 6?

Omg, it sux so much. I mean how the hell could they abdicate unlockable stuff? That's so ugly

klee123

Cyntec said:
Did you already play Tekken 6?

Omg, it sux so much. I mean how the hell could they abdicate unlockable stuff? That's so ugly

Still waiting for it to be released. Got the PS3 version preordered.

Yeah, it's a normal tradition for unlocking shit in Tekken. Annoying but what can ya do. SF4 definitely takes the cake tho.

Cyntec

klee123 said:
Still waiting for it to be released. Got the PS3 version preordered.

Yeah, it's a normal tradition for unlocking shit in Tekken. Annoying but what can ya do. SF4 definitely takes the cake tho.

Never mind, the gameplay itself is pretty flawless, might say even better than in SF4. But it's really a shame that they didn't include any unlockable stuff. You can buy new things, eg clothes for the fighters tho

Gorgon

Gameplay includes rooftops and sewers and there will be rain

I finnished playinf Yakuza 2 a few months ago and there was rain in that game too. What's the novelty?

EDIT: WAIT, SHIT, Yakuza 3 is going to be released for certain, and by SEGA!?!?!? SHIT JUST MADE MY DAY!!!

klee123 said:
It's gonna be a PSN release right? Like how it was mentioned in the leaked Sega document right?

Yakuza 3 on PSN? :lol

Im pretty sure the leaked document was detailing the PS2 versions in corellation with the leaked PS2/Dreamcast store.

So Mari Yaguchi is going to be in RGG4 as a massage therapist

As detailed earlier, Yaguchi will be appearing in Yakuza 4 as the voice actress and face of Mari, a massage therapist who works in the city of Kamiyacho.

Mari's role in the game appears to be minor -- just an NPC who doesn't play a role in the story. But Sega has given her dozens of lines, some even containing references to her Morning Musume days (Sexy Beam!).

At the press conference, Mari admitted to being a bit shy about some of the lines she was required to read, including such smut as "Big brother, you've gotten really hard."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/14/yakuza_voice_acting/

ryu01.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091113_328945.html

Dali

SolidSnakex said:

Holy crap!! Is that a black guy?! Like just an average respectable looking black dude? No bird's nest fro? No ridiculous stereotypes? I... I didn't think I'd ever see the day.

Top Bottom