• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku official site teaser (24.MAY)

Kikujiro

Protip for Yakuza threads: ignore Totobeni and east of eastside.
In every Yakuza threads they post about how shitty Yakuza 4 is and the amusing part is they are the only two people who think that (hardcore Yakuza fans my ass, more like hardcore Yakuza 4 haters).

I'm really curious to see this game. I love Yakuza formula, but after all these episodes I'd like to see something new.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Crap, I still need to beat Y4. Interested in seeing what they do to mix things up. Multiple protagonists in Yakuza 4 seemed indicative of the team being aware that they needed to change the formula a bit. And I'm not too concerned about this not getting a US release. Kenzan not coming over was a fluke, I mean we got Dead Souls! (for better or worse).

Yakuza 5 needs a new setting. Europe. America. Something.

Atolm

I'm really curious to see this game. I love Yakuza formula, but after all these episodes I'd like to see something new.

Yeah, I hope they introduce some innovations and changes as Nagoshi said months ago, the series formula dried up after so many almost identical games in so few years.

Protip for Yakuza threads: ignore Totobeni and east of eastside.
In every Yakuza threads they post about how shitty Yakuza 4 is and the amusing part is they are the only two people who think that (hardcore Yakuza fans my ass, more like hardcore Yakuza 4 haters).

Duly noted for when I finally buy a Yakuza game and discuss it here :D

Hardcore Yakuza fans are of the opinion 4 is shit. It's hardly a unique opinion. Easy aspects to point to are the dumbed down difficulty and shit boss battles compared to Yakuza 3. Story sucks too with really, really bad plot elements. That it is a huge rehash goes without mentioning.

What absolute fucking horseshit.

Hardcore Yakuza fans are of the opinion 4 is shit. It's hardly a unique opinion. Easy aspects to point to are the dumbed down difficulty and shit boss battles compared to Yakuza 3. Story sucks too with really, really bad plot elements. That it is a huge rehash goes without mentioning.

Hardcore Yakuza fans are wrong. They should consider becoming hardcore cricket fans and leave gaming forever.

putarorex

There is going to be a bunch of cities for this one right? I remember reading they were go add a Fukuoka and Sapporo setting to go with Kamurocho, Okinawa, and Osaka. I would be happy if they just got rid of Kamurocho though.

The multi-city thing could be interesting but I'm hoping for a better story this time around (I liked the second one the best, then Ryu Ga Gotoku 1, 4, and 3).

Hardcore Yakuza fans are wrong. They should consider becoming hardcore cricket fans and leave gaming forever.

Oi! Leave cricket out of this!

Yakuza 4 was great. Granted I've only played two of the four main Yakuza games but I really enjoyed it. Especially with that hi-larious cutscene where Taiga is carrying so many guns he has to shove one in his gob.

Really hope 5 gets released outside of Japan.

Xater

Those guys are not fans they are idiots. 4 was amazing. Yakuza 3 is the game that is awful.

I played all the mainline games.

Tizoc

Hopefully this doesn't mean Dead Souls is canon...
I wouldn't mind if there was a several years gap between 4 and 5.
Also, here's hoping it gets announced for english release during E3 =D

After finishing Black Panther 2 recently (and loving it) I'd love to see Tatsuya make an appearance as a playable character. That or having the multitude of fighting styles from that game make it into Yakuza 5.

Yuterald

Yeah, all this Yakuza 4 hate is baffling. I consider myself a "hardcore" Yakuza fan and Yakuza 4 (depending on my mood) might be my favorite of the bunch. I've also played all of the mainline titles so I definitely get why most people consider Yakuza 2 to be the best. Anyway, it's like some people are acting like Yakuza 4 is some sort of GIGANTIC departure from the rest of the series. Christ, we're not talking Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy XIII or Resident Evil 1 to Resident Evil 5 kind of jumps here.

The Yakuza titles are just good feel, heartfelt, warm games. To be an elitist with this franchise is just a completely unnecessary and uncalled for endeavor.

Damn I liked Yakuza 3 more than 4 :/. Yakuza 2 is my favorite. The difficulty in Yakuza 4 was just too easy.

Yakuza 4 is not garbage by any means. Whats the conscious on Dead Souls? does it have the traditional Yakuza formula? I need my yearly Yakuza fix.

Whats the conscious on Dead Souls? does it have the traditional Yakuza formula? I need my yearly Yakuza fix.

There isn't any hand to hand combat in DS, so you're going to be using guns. That can take some time to get used to because they're lock on based instead of free aim based. You should enjoy it as long as you can get into a groove with that. Some just can't get into it because they've become so accustomed to being able to free aim.

The story is really over the top like you'd expect from something like this. But I think it's still enjoyable. Plus you get more Majima and Akiyama, and that's never a bad thing. :)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After finishing Black Panther 2 recently (and loving it) I'd love to see Tatsuya make an appearance as a playable character. That or having the multitude of fighting styles from that game make it into Yakuza 5.

:mad: I want to know that feel, bro...

I can't wait for the announcement. I haven't played Yakuza or Yakuza 2 yet, and I probably won't for a while. 3 was my first, and 4 is definitely my favourite (although I really want to play Kenzan...). I hope Sega doesn't do something like Dead Souls again. Outside of using Majima and Goda it was not enjoyable and I just wanted to finish the story as quickly as possible.

Tutomos

I'm playing both Yakuza 4 and Black Panther 2 now. BP2 being their most recent game, even though it's not done by the main team but I can see where they can take the gameplay further in the Yakuza series.

Sega has been open in the past to letting other companies bring their games over. So maybe an Atlus or Xseed could pick it up if Sega doesn't want to bring it over?

But... but.... Valkyria Chronicles 3.... :'(

Let's hope it really happens!

Import! It's easily playable without knowledge of Japanese :)

I wanted to ask this, how's the Japanese in Ryu ga Gotoku series? Is it hard to understand? Full of slang and obscure Gokudou slang I bet...
I bought Kenzan considering that we will never see it in English, but the language barrier was 3 steps higher than normal.

Top Bottom