• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku staffing changes and departures

Bryank75

Banned

Masayoshi Yokoyama is studio lead now.

2hNFVL3.jpg

JZM1R7u.jpg

Wait what, the guy who literally looks like a Yakuza member and the guy who has lead the franchise is leaving?

Huh. Odd to see that happen.

Hopefully the new head is of the same mind as Toshihiro and delivers the next entries well.

[Sigma]

End of an Era. Sad. Daisuke Sato is gone too. Interested to see what the studio does going forward and also interested to see where those to end up.

YukiOnna

Sad. I was hoping the silence meant the news wasn't true, but looks like it was. End of an Era for sure and thank you Nagoshi and Sato for your contribution to Ryu ga Gotoku Studio.

YCoCg

I think it's clear the studio is going in two directions now with the LAD series and Judgement series. The OG story of Kiryu is finished and the franchise is now a big name, it makes sense to be a stepping point.

bender

What time is it?
It will be interesting to see if the quality can hold up. Yakuza just might be my favorite series of all time. Like a Dragon was a neat departure and I know they are going to continue on with it, but I'll really miss the mainline series. Judgment is great though.

RavageX

It's good they were able to bring closure to the original series. Think about how rare that is for a moment these days for a long running single story (for the most part).

You can see where they were a bit lazy though, some animations.... The one I hate the most? When you are holding a weapon after a fight in Judgement and it just sort of flops out of your hand.

Some music....is it just me or is it the same music for sad story reflections?

YCoCg

Finally the series can be over.
The MAIN series is already over, Yakuza 6 was the last mainline game which ended the Kiryu saga. Yakuza 7/LAD is the start of a new protagonists story set a few years after 9with flashbacks weaving in and out of the original saga time periods) and JUDGEMENT is another new series following a detective in the same city.

ranmafan

Shame to see them leave the studio and Sega, but hopefully the series will not be hurt by it. I’m very happy with the direction they took Yakuza LAD and really want to see that direction continue. End of an era but hopefully the next one is even better for the franchise.

YukiOnna

The MAIN series is already over, Yakuza 6 was the last mainline game which ended the Kiryu saga. Yakuza 7/LAD is the start of a new protagonists story set a few years after 9with flashbacks weaving in and out of the original saga time periods) and JUDGEMENT is another new series following a detective in the same city.
Well, even 7 isn't ignoring the storyline of past games and that's made clear if you play. Nagoshi himself said they weren't aiming to get rid of Kiryu or anything.

YCoCg

Well, even 7 isn't ignoring the storyline of past games and that's made clear if you play. Nagoshi himself said they weren't aiming to get rid of Kiryu or anything.
Yeah but Ichiban's story is at least distant enough (along with the playstyle changes) to be considered a fresh break (or at least a break big enough for this series), the old stuff that is referenced feels more like a nod for the long time fans.

YukiOnna

Yeah but Ichiban's story is at least distant enough (along with the playstyle changes) to be considered a fresh break (or at least a break big enough for this series), the old stuff that is referenced feels more like a nod for the long time fans.
Yeah. In regards to Kiryu going forward, Nagoshi said the team wants to introduce him in a different way to newcomers now that his story is done and that they cannot ignore the conflicts between the alliances. I'd say they did well enough in making sure anyone can jump in with Ichiban and still enjoy returning cast members.

Kazza

End of an era! Here are the new gangsters in charge:

A few words from the new head of the Yakuza clan (see link below for full version):

Though, now that you see me acting all cool in this photo, it’s going be extra uncool if the games don’t live up to our standards, so I’m going to give it my all and stay true to my words.

I’m not going to say, “please believe in us!” We’ll continue to do our best and let our games do the talking.
And I hope that you would support and watch over the future endeavors of Nagoshi and Sato, who are embarking on a new journey just as we are.

Ryu Ga Gotoku’s predecessors have passed down their beliefs and know-how to each and every staff member. You can witness it in the recently released Lost Judgment and will see it in the upcoming sequel to Yakuza: Like a Dragon which will continue Ichiban Kasuga’s story.

This game is currently being developed by producer Sakamoto and directors Horii, Ito and Mitake. I myself along with Takeuchi and Furuta are working on the story.

Whether it’s six months or one year from now, I hope to show you a new Ryu Ga Gotoku title by a new Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio that is different but still the same, and something that will spark a feeling of “this is what we are waiting for” within you. I’d like to continue on my life as a video game creator with earnestness.

Announcement from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio | セガ公式サイト (ryu-ga-gotoku.com)

Last edited:
Top Bottom