• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-E news: New Agni's Philosophy in June 2013, (very) small VXIII and LR:XIII update

Reveirg

Source: http://www.ffdream.com/news-14010.html (french)

Interview with Square-Enix's World Technological Director. Basically:

-Something "different" about Agni's Philosophy will be shown in June 2013 (E3?), on "something other than PC". Based on the guy's smile, it's clearly next-gen platforms.

-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans. Also, he said that on a technological level, Versus XIII elements were used for this game. It will keep some elements from FFXIII/XIII-2 but will be quite different from every FF that's come out so far.

-Type-0: No plan as of now, but they'd like to localize it eventually. (same old news -.-)

-Versus XIII: Definitely still in development. The project is very, very ambitious according to this guy, and that is why it's taken so long. He says once the project will be fully revealed, people will be happy to have waited so long. Also, Yoichi Wada is determined to push the development team as far as they can.

-FFXIV: He praises Yoshida's direction of the project, says it will be "quite different" from the original FFXIV. He also says that people from S-E outside of Japan also believe in the project, that it's not a "Japan-only" thing (whatever that means).

-Asked what games he was eager to play, he said he was going to try out all the big open-world/sandbox games. He thinks "many Square-Enix IPs" would benefit from more openness, and from a storytelling that's less linear. He wants to take inspiration from games like GTA5 to be able to help the company achieve this on a technological level.

(oops, typo in the title, should read "New Agni's Philosophy developement")

-Versus XIII: Definitely still in development. The project is very, very ambitious according to this guy, and that is why it's taken so long. He says once the project will be fully revealed, people will be happy to have waited so long.

Yeah right. 6 years and counting.

Seda

Might as well post this too I guess:

A6ymYjtCUAAlOA1.jpg

new artwork (from the UK concert)

weee

DarkKyo

-Versus XIII: Definitely still in development. The project is very, very ambitious according to this guy, and that is why it's taken so long. He says once the project will be fully revealed, people will be happy to have waited so long.

At this point it better redefine the genre. That's the only way people are going to be "happy" with a 7-8 year development period.

iavi

They're focus grouping Lighting Returns, non-news on Type-0, Non-news on Versus, standard praise on FFXIV. The only concrete thing to come out of this is that we'll see Agnis, a tech demo--again.

I'm really getting tired of SE.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Something "different" about Agni's Philosophy will be shown in June 2013 (E3?), on "something other than PC". Based on the guy's smile, it's clearly next-gen platforms.

I'll take a wild guess and it'll probably be a Final Fantasy graphical demo for PS4. Hope it's FFX's sending remastered using Agni's Philosophy tech.

-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans. Also, he said that on a technological level, Versus XIII elements were used for this game. It will keep some elements from FFXIII/XIII-2 but will be quite different from every FF that's come out so far.

Buildings and Skyscrapers?

Nvm.

Still looking forward to this though, then again my expectations are still the same as they were when they showed the gameplay trailer, which admittedly are pretty high, but had been the same before that since the initial reveal was made. The idea of expectations building more and more just seems kinda weird to me.

-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans. Also, he said that on a technological level, Versus XIII elements were used for this game.

Oh boy, focus testing.

-Versus XIII: Definitely still in development. The project is very, very ambitious according to this guy, and that is why it's taken so long. He says once the project will be fully revealed, people will be happy to have waited so long. Also, Yoichi Wada is determined to push the development team as far as they can.

It better be the most amazing game ever made, then. We're approaching seven years since the debut trailer.

Pooya

-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans.

If these are the same focus groups they used for 13-2, good luck.

Reveirg

General vibe I'm getting from the interview is that they'll be showing it as an open-world game at next E3. But that's probably just hopeful thinking.

I'll take a wild guess and it'll probably be a Final Fantasy graphical demo for PS4. Hope it's FFX's sending remastered using Agni's Philosophy tech.
That would be a great way to make everyone feel really shitty about FFX HD, but at least it'd prevent rumors of a full remake so people wouldn't freak out about it for half a generation.

Stark

Banned
Good to hear about LR development going well. I hope it's the right focus groups. Interesting they are using Versus technology.

Might as well post this too I guess:

A6ymYjtCUAAlOA1.jpg

new artwork (from the UK concert)

weee

That's nice. Wonder if it's a hint at her new outfit- well, cape.

Does this imply Agni is to be a game?

UberTag

Until I see something that would indicate otherwise, Agni's Philosophy is just more of Square Enix dabbling in CGI movie making.
Albeit very pretty CGI movie making.
Show me gameplay, something that isn't a mere tech demo and some actual concrete progress and I'll believe this isn't just another Last Guardian money sink.

-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans.
SE needs to cut this focus group pandering shit out. There is no such thing as "right focus groups". It's destroying the franchise.

Also, he said that on a technological level, Versus XIII elements were used for this game. It will keep some elements from FFXIII/XIII-2 but will be quite different from every FF that's come out so far.
I'm expecting something along the lines of Resident Evil 6's QTE-riddled mess.
We all loved RE6 right, guys?

Persona86

Banned
They can take how long they want on Versus, I'll play it when I play it, time is irrelevant as long as I'm alive and get to play it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If these are the same focus groups they used for 13-2, good luck.

No kidding. That game was focus tested to death... I'm sure LR will be too. Actually, I'm sure they will after that godawful Lightning survey they just had on their site.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No kidding. That game was focus tested to death... I'm sure LR will be too. Actually, I'm sure they will after that godawful Lightning survey they just had on their site.

I wonder... If majority of the feedback says "fuck Lightning, get her outta there", does that mean they'll change Lightning to someone else? :p

Takao

Banned
Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV and releases on PS3/360/PC in mid-2014
Final Fantasy XVI: Agni's Philosophy announced for PS4/720/PC part of new Final Fantasy XVI subseries that will span multiple games

Durante

Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV and releases on PS3/360/PC in mid-2014
Final Fantasy XVI: Agni's Philosophy announced for PS4/720/PC part of new Final Fantasy XVI subseries that will span multiple games
That would make sense.
Far more likely:
- Versus stays PS3 exclusive and is released in late 2014 (after PS4)
- Agni's is announced PS4 exclusive, then moved to 720 as well. PC gets a Facebook companion game

:(

dramatis

Why on earth would you say such a thing? That would be as awful as giving full creative control to every SE series to Toriyama.
To be honest, tri-ace is much better at gameplay. You might want to just argue that neither side deserves creative control over story and characters, but there's no question tri-ace can make a mean battle system. They're a plus in that regard, especially since LR is supposed to be more action-oriented.

Assuming they have any work to do at all :(

Don't care about Lightning Returns a single bit which is kind of sad considering how big of a FF fan I am. But the Versus XIII news and the news about Agni's philosophy probably being shown for next-gen consoles has me hyyyyped. Just know it's going to end with "final fantasy XV".

Reveirg

How does this guy know anything about Versus?

He's Square-Enix's World Technology Director.

Why on earth would you say such a thing? That would be as awful as giving full creative control to every SE series to Toriyama.

Tri-Ace developped a good part of XIII-2. With most of S-E's staff busy with FFXIV and Versus XIII, it'd make sense for LR to be developped externally, thus Tri-Ace would make sense.

Besides that, they have good experience with Action RPGs.

He's Square-Enix's World Technology Director?

So he's involved in engine creation? What does this position entail? Is he located in Japan?

OK, I just clicked the link. He definitely doesn't look like someone who would be intimately aware of what's going on with Versus.

Top Bottom