• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl — Gameplay Trailer

alife

lVepo3I.gif

bender

What time is it?
Cool. Weapons look very stock Crytek but that's an improvement over the originals of course.

The gun play looks like it has the weight and heft of weapons of a Call of Duty game. It's been ages since I've play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I remember the combat being more considered and tactical.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The gun play looks like it has the weight and heft of weapons of a Call of Duty game. It's been ages since I've play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I remember the combat being more considered and tactical.
Most of the considered and tactical aspects of the combat were a function of your weapons having 0% accuracy and bullets not going where you point your gun (until you get to late game weapons). It forced you to get creative with your tactics and that had its charms, but I'm okay with leaving those elements behind.

bender

What time is it?
Most of the considered and tactical aspects of the combat were a function of your weapons having 0% accuracy and bullets not going where you point your gun (until you get to late game weapons). It forced you to get creative with your tactics and that had its charms, but I'm okay with leaving those elements behind.

Good memory. That's probably exactly it. I guess the fork in the road of our opinions is leaving that behind that mechanic. It just fits the setting and theme of the world so much better. If it ends up being another amusement park shooter that will be terribly disappointing as the setting is pretty darned awesome.

Kuranghi

This looks and moves like its pre-rendered, I don't think its representative of the game at all.

Happy to be shame quoted later, but to me, the video moves like its pre-rendered, but you can see a strange stutter on the camera movements during the shooting section, like its all just pre-scripted movements that don't match up with the actual framerate they captured it at.

Ulysses 31

This looks and moves like its pre-rendered, I don't think its representative of the game at all.

Happy to be shame quoted later, but to me, the video moves like its pre-rendered, but you can see a strange stutter on the camera movements during the shooting section, like its all just pre-scripted movements that don't match up with the actual framerate they captured it at.
There was no text about it being in-engine/game footage and installing that scope without going through any HUD are to me dead give aways this is cgi or a pre-scripted high-end PC demo on display.

Not that I doubt this will still look leagues above the other STALKER games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

There was no text about it being in-engine/game footage and installing that scope without going through any HUD are to me dead give aways this is cgi or a pre-scripted high-end PC demo on display.

Not that I doubt this will still look leagues above the other STALKER games.

Really? I thought it said in-engine somewhere, I think I'm confusing it with other titles shown yesterday. Its just the same as Hellblade 2 then imo, a pre-rendered "engine target".

To me, this was the star of the show. Way more excited about this than Starfield even.

They basically showed everything a STALKER fan could hope for.

I know what you mean. I never trust the slow camera panning in these type of gameplay trailers.

Good memory. That's probably exactly it. I guess the fork in the road of our opinions is leaving that behind that mechanic. It just fits the setting and theme of the world so much better. If it ends up being another amusement park shooter that will be terribly disappointing as the setting is pretty darned awesome.

What do you mean by "amusement park shooter"?

The appeal of STALKER games was always its fantastic setting, atmosphere, hardcore gunplay, A-life system, vodka and sausages. Plus the incredible modding community.

Game looks interesting, the trailer was atrocious.
Being fluent in Russian, its quality is drastically enhanced when you are listening rather than reading subtitles. That said I know the feeling: I played all of Ghost of Tsushima with the Japanese audio (I don’t speak a lick) and its drama never quite struck a chord with me.

iHaunter

Being fluent in Russian, its quality is drastically enhanced when you are listening rather than reading subtitles. That said I know the feeling: I played all of Ghost of Tsushima with the Japanese audio (I don’t speak a lick) and its drama never quite struck a chord with me.
Bro, I'm Russian. I was born in Nalchik. It was still a terrible trailer. Though some of the dialogue wasn't fully accurate with the narration. I just think the trailer was put together poorly.

Bro, I'm Russian. I was born in Nalchik. It was still a terrible trailer. Though some of the dialogue wasn't fully accurate with the narration. I just think the trailer was put together poorly.
Елки палки.

Каждому своё. И ты прав что перевод по английским субтитрам не был точным и сбивает с толку, особенно когда лучший перевод имеется в наличии.

Sygma

Stalker was all about your gun's condition and the type of ammo you'd use (as well as optimal distance before bullet drop off). Condition was the most critical element to your accuracy tho. Same about the scopes not enhancing accuracy at all, whereas putting a silencer could drop accuracy up to 20%

I just hope the showing here was for the cinematic effect rather than changing the formula

tusharngf

gunplay is very smooth which i dont like. Guns in real doesnt have that accuracy. They are killing everyone with headshot in the video which is not possible in original games unless you get close to the target.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
First time I played Shadow of Chernobyl I didn't know this and was so frustrated when I fought my first few gunfights. I HATED it. Your right in that it does kind of force creativity but I'm glad to see it not really be a thing anymore. It doesn't bug me so much when a weapon breaks as that makes sense in my mind, but when I have a perfect shot, perfectly lined up square on an enemy chest and no reaction to being shot, feels like a bug. You don't get that response or reaction you expect so you think something must be wrong.

iHaunter

Елки палки.

Каждому своё. И ты прав что перевод по английским субтитрам не был точным и сбивает с толку, особенно когда лучший перевод имеется в наличии.
Yeah, kind of how I see it. Just how I saw the trailer, could be portrayed better. Subs were a little off. What can you do.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Easily my game of the show. STALKER is pretty dated these days -- I mean it was a game that started development more than 20 years ago -- but they were really ahead of their time in terms of open immersive FPS design. This is looking like a fantastic follow up.

Zuzu

This looks really good, but I'm worried that the gunplay has been too modernised. I like the difficulty of using the guns in the original games and the satisfaction of winning gunfights with old rickety guns that are somewhat unreliable. I don't want this to become Call of Duty set in Chernobyl. At the very least I'd like the guns to only become super accurate and powerful if they've had extensive upgrades that you had to collect throughout the world.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This looks really good, but I'm worried that the gunplay has been too modernised. I like the difficulty of using the guns in the original games and the satisfaction of winning gunfights with old rickety guns that are somewhat unreliable. I don't want this to become Call of Duty set in Chernobyl. At the very least I'd like the guns to only become super accurate if they've had extensive upgrades that you had to collect throughout the world.
I mean this stuff is in-engine but I don't think it's live gameplay, it's made for the trailer.

Shubh_C63

I don't remember when was the last time I played a good immersive FPS Single player campaign.

Titanfall 2 was great but maybe Cod-kills have bored me.
Doom'16 Yes.

I want more games where their campaign follows like Bioshock Infinite, FEAR or Half Life.

Flabagast

I don't remember when was the last time I played a good immersive FPS Single player campaign.

Titanfall 2 was great but maybe Cod-kills have bored me.
Doom'16 Yes.

I want more games where their campaign follows like Bioshock Infinite, FEAR or Half Life.
You might want to try Metro Exodus if you have not already. It can be a little inconsistent at times and all over the place, but it sure as hell pulls any string it can to immerse you in its world, most frequently with great success.

In fact, all Metro games are great at this, and the Half Life feel is there most notably for the 2 first entries, so be sure to check it out. It is less immersive and brutal than Stalker though, much more narrative / cinematic driven

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With Unreal 5 announced recently, and currently in early access, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Heart of Chernobyl’s visuals are out of date since it’s built on the “old” Unreal 4.

Using an older engine doesn’t necessarily mean poorer visuals. Arkham Knight, for example, one of the best-looking titles in the eighth-gen, was built on Unreal 3. GSC leverages the complete suite of scalable UE4 capabilities in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl to create something that genuinely looks “ninth-Gen,” a clear step over the cross-Gen content we’ve seen so far.

Top Bottom