• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Permanent Internet Connection UPDATE: Or maybe not?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems we've finally gotten new details on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

DSOGaming said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will require a permanent internet connection
Posted on October 8, 2011 by John Papadopoulos

In a recent interview, Sergey Grigorovich revealed something that passed under the radar of all PC gamers. The head of GSC Game World stated that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will require a permanent internet connection when he was asked about the game’s copy protection. Although STALKER 2 is still pretty early in development, Sergey stated that software piracy is an issue for them and they try to fight it, but within reason.
As Grogorovich said when he was asked about the game’s copy protection:

GSC Game World said:
“Protection from piracy? Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection. Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason.

If people can not afford a licensed version, it is to our advantage if they download a pirated copy, and then want to buy a license. In Ukraine, there are different products that people love so much that they buy a license in principle. We want to create just such a product.”
Source: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-will-require-a-permanent-internet-connection/

Kuran

Banned
Ugh.

And why does it need to be multi-console? It should've stayed on PC so it could actually, uh, evolve. Larger terrain/vehicles/etc. Not more confined and scripted like that Metro2033 garbage.

Stitch

Gold Member
Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection.
no sir, i don't like it.

the games already have enough bugs without this, now imagine how the game will act when their server doesn't respond properly :O

Vaporak

I really hope they reconsider this decision before the game ships, but it sounds pretty unlikely. Very sad really, STALKER is my favorite FPS. :(

TUDrn.jpg

Emitan

Rickenslacker said:
I don't care about permanent internet connection, but downloading parts of the game as you progress? Ugh.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Fast Permanent Internet Connection

lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Get out of here STALKER (2).

I'm sure a pirate will fix this problem, and it'll be glorious for the pirates while legit consumers get screwed again.

Oh, PC gaming, you so pants-on-head stupid toward treating your buyers well.

Billychu said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Fast Permanent Internet Connection

lol
My main concern is the size/frequency of the downloading. I don't want to kill my monthly bandwidth because of a company's head up their ass single player DRM.

Jezan

No Stalker 2 for me then.

I mean, this week my connection is sucking and it will be repaired till monday, that means only SP for now, but apparently that wouldn't be possible in this case. No buy :(

TheSeks

Rickenslacker said:
My main concern is the size/frequency of the downloading. I don't want to kill my monthly bandwidth because of a company's head up their ass single player DRM.

Solution if you have bandwidth caps: Don't buy Stalker 2. Simple. Too bad you'll buy it anyway and send the message that it's completely okay to do this like most people will. :/

Card Boy

Banned
Once again legitimate buyers get punished and have a gimped version while the pirates get the better version. Never punish the legitimate consumer you shitty pubs/devs and never bite the hand that feeds you.

I must of missed the part about the always downloading, jesus christ its getting worse and worse.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hm. Not sure how I feel about this.

However I wont be affected by it since I am always connected to the internet. (In the off time that I am not I will find something else to do..)

Bring on some screens and video of this game though. Hoping it will blow minds.

Holy shit! Consoles are fucking ruining my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. THAT'S IT! I'm burning my Xbox 360 as I had promised if this were to happen.

I'm willing to put up with this for Diablo 3, but that doesn't mean I like it. There is a very short list of games I'd put up with this for, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 ain't one of 'em. Pass.

Rickenslacker said:
I don't care about permanent internet connection, but downloading parts of the game as you progress? Ugh.

This in particular is seriously bullshit.

TheSeks said:
Solution if you have bandwidth caps: Don't buy Stalker 2. Simple. Too bad you'll buy it anyway and send the message that it's completely okay to do this like most people will. :/
Yeah, it is too bad that I buy things that I don't want to support. Wait, when do I do that?

Derrick01

Banned
It's been a pretty rough last month for us PC gamers. Dead Island's launch, Rage's launch and then Carmack's betrayal, RO2's launch, BF3 Beta, and now this.

Whatever interest I had in this game is gone now. Congrats devs.

Zimbardo

echoshifting said:
I'm willing to put up with this for Diablo 3, but that doesn't mean I like it. There is a very short list of games I'd put up with this for, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 ain't one of 'em. Pass.

This in particular is seriously bullshit.

Diablo, in my opinion, is only worth playing when you're online anyway, so requiring the internet connection for that game is no big deal for me.

Zimbardo said:
Diablo, in my opinion, is only worth playing when you're online anyway, so requiring the internet connection for that game is no big deal for me.

I actually enjoyed playing Diablo II offline quite a bit, and I resent the always-online "feature" ...but it's Diablo. It's my favorite franchise of all time. I'd put up with a lot of shit for Diablo...not for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

TheSeks

Rickenslacker said:
Yeah, it is too bad that I buy things that I don't want to support. Wait, when do I do that?

ModernWarfare2BoyCottSteamGroup.jpg

People say they hate the movements developers do, and then buy the shit anyway. I'm not saying you in general will, but most people will bitch and then buy it anyway.

TheSeks said:

People say they hate the movements developers do, and then buy the shit anyway. I'm not saying you in general will, but most people will bitch and then buy it anyway.
Yeah fair enough, wording had me off.

Blizzard doing this? Sure, their games are in that much of a demand. But doing this for STALKER? Their loss. I don't mind the always on thing, but this basically means that I don't have the full game when I purchase it. Fuck that.

Emitan

Brannon said:
I'll bet the 360 version won't require constant internet connection *pinky to lips*
If I buy this, it'll be on PS3. Fuck this shit. I'm going to be buying Diablo and STALKER on consoles instead of my amazing PC. WTF is wrong with devs?

TheSeks said:

No matter how much I want to play Diablo 3 I can't because of how much of a fuss I've made about boycotting it :/

TheSeks

Billychu said:
If I buy this, it'll be on PS3. Fuck this shit. I'm going to be buying Diablo and STALKER on consoles instead of my amazing PC. WTF is wrong with devs?

Part of the problem. You're playing EXACTLY into their hands. Console developers that have PC ports/versions WANT you to buy the console version. Why? "DERP PIRACY" but more so the fact they can stop supporting the PC and get more money in the long-run for doing console versions.

As much as PCGAF bitches about shit like this and then buys the game anyway, that should stop. You don't like what they're doing? COMPLETELY IGNORE THE GAME. Don't buy it. Don't rent it. Think it's dead/canceled to you. If more people did this, the developers would get the message
while also completely killing PC ports because console versions would sell more than the PC version.

Bitching won't really do much.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is STALKER 2 going to have some kind of dedicated multiplayer component? Like running into other human STALKERs as you play? That'd be pretty cool. If not then this is horseshit.

Emitan

TheSeks said:
Part of the problem. You're playing EXACTLY into their hands. Console developers that have PC ports/versions WANT you to buy the console version. Why? "DERP PIRACY" but more so the fact they can stop supporting the PC and get more money in the long-run for doing console versions.

As much as PCGAF bitches about shit like this and then buys the game anyway, that should stop. You don't like what they're doing? COMPLETELY IGNORE THE GAME. Don't buy it. Don't rent it. Think it's dead/canceled to you. If more people did this, the developers would get the message
while also completely killing PC ports because console versions would sell more than the PC version.

Bitching won't really do much.
I'm not terribly interested in STALKER 2 and I'll only be getting D3 on PS3 if it's particularly amazing. I have Path of Exile (which I forgive for being online only due to it being F2P) and Torchlight 2 to keep me occupied.

Please for the love of that you hold most precious, don't go the Ubisoft way GSC Game World!

This is a recipe for disaster. Just take a look at what your neighbors in Poland are doing with the Witcher franchise. They aren't bitching about piracy, CD Projekt is embracing DRM free. This is how you build unwavering support from your fans. Please don't fuck this up! Gah damit!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Make a niche game for the hard core PC gaming community.

Strap that game with DRM that the paying hard core PC gaming community hates.

Watch as your friendly neighbours the Russians crack the game in a week.

Recipe for success.

Vaporak

The Dev's really should talk to Ubi about how well this strategy worked out for them, iirc Ubisoft has seen a 90% decrease in PC sales.

Top Bottom