• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Permanent Internet Connection UPDATE: Or maybe not?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hmm, I do wonder how they'll do the part of the game that downloads. I'm sure they have some tricks first against pirate groups that'll get all the content first and try to crack it. Would be interesting if the dev actually buys some decent time before it gets fully cracked

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fuck it. Now I won't buy your game at all. How's that anti-piracy measure working out for you?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jqm3o9.jpg

1-D_FTW

Green Scar said:

I was thinking shit sandwich, but that'll work too.

And everyone knows you play the STALKER games after the complete patches come out. I wonder if it'll be compatible with Big Brother.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man I've been waiting for STALKER 2 news for fucking ages goddamn I'm so happy that we finally WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT????????????????????

Big-E

Fucking asses with the internet always on bullshit. I am not in the Western world right now so internet is spotty. Loved the Stalker games but will pass on this if what is said in the op is what it sounds like. Grade A horseshit.

flyinpiranha said:
I don't mind the always on thing, but this basically means that I don't have the full game when I purchase it. Fuck that.
This is how I look at it, and completely agree.

For what it's worth, depending on how much content is stored server-side, this might actually make the game nigh-impossible to pirate (without losing some of that content). If it hurts pirates that's all good, but the whole "you don't get all the game content at purchase" turns this from a wait-for-Steam-sale-price to never-for-me-thanks.

The only thing that made the original Stalkers playable for me was the modding scene, wonder how this will impact mods, unofficial patches and such?

Grinchy

Banned
My internet connection is only down when there's a problem, which is rare, and I still have a big problem with this. It's nice when companies give me a reason to save my money. I wish there was a better anti-piracy solution.

And yeah, I guess there will be no way to mod the streaming sections.

Wthermans

Banned
Cool. I'll probably skip this game completely then instead of buying the entire franchise during a Steam sale for $2.50.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Fail,just pure and absolute fail,I am not buying it, I don't want to support this anti consumer crap.

IlludiumQ36 said:
First Carmack and now this. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Half-Life 3 to have SecuROM and require a permanent internet connection,only Win 8,only 2 resolution option in video setting, plus 360 controller required( No keyboard/mouse support)and it will be a port of the 360 version.

boiled goose

good with gravy
as a fan of the series. no buy for me.

fighting piracy by punishing those who actually pay for the game. awesome.

when will publishers learn that most pirates would never pay for the game anyways?
fight piracy, dont punish your customers.

-1 sale. there you go.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I thought the original game sold well? It sure as hell had a ton of sales over the past few years on steam that always pushed it to #1 on the charts.

evlcookie said:
I thought the original game sold well? It sure as hell had a ton of sales over the past few years on steam that always pushed it to #1 on the charts.

The lure of big money on consoles is enough to seduce any exclusive pc game companies into making stupid decisions.

notsol337

marked forever
I... I can't buy this now. This is awful. Am I a bad person if I buy it, then torrent it? Is that still piracy from a moral standpoint?

Kuran said:
Ugh.

And why does it need to be multi-console? It should've stayed on PC so it could actually, uh, evolve. Larger terrain/vehicles/etc. Not more confined and scripted like that Metro2033 garbage.
Give me a break.

More people getting to play a game is always a good thing. Don't be so elitist.

Red

I was not expecting this for a STALKER title. Color me disappointed.

Unless this changes, I will completely skip the game.

Jak140

Can't wait to see what new strawman they'll blame after this game flops harder than the average Walmart customer jumping into a pool of jell-o.

This sucks. I have a great internet connection, but I don't buy games which require one for singleplayer because the idea of not being able to play a game whenever I want is a deal-breaker, no matter how rare that situation might be.

Dead Man

Well shit. That's disappointing.

jim-jam bongs said:
This sucks. I have a great internet connection, but I don't buy games which require one for singleplayer because the idea of not being able to play a game whenever I want is a deal-breaker, no matter how rare that situation might be.
Exactly.

akira28

Get out of here Stalker. If they think...*sigh* I mean..what do they expect, an uprising of annoyed gamers to go out and kill pirates? This won't deter anything except some people from buying the game.

Kuran said:
It's not about elitist, but the game will be limited in scope due to this. It is also worrying that the Stalker franchise can't just be ported to console.. it is a very 'hardcore appealing' series. I'm afraid it will be watered down/scripted hot mess such as the case with Metro 2033.

Time will tell.
You're making an assumption that had Metro 2033 been developed on PC only, it would have been very different. Unless anyone has any insider info, impossible to tell.

Also open world games are made for consoles all the time. They don't look as pretty as PC games of course but it's doable.

Anyway I did really enjoy Stalker 1 so I'm hoping they're not changing the formula too much. And back on topic. always online DRM sucks a big one.

Edit: OK you changed your post, now I'm not sure what's going on.

Card Boy

Banned
markot said:
So stupid. Will the console versions also need a permanent connection?

Exactly, if your going to try cry piracy on PC and put this anti-consumer DRM in, then they should also do it for the Xbox 360 version where piracy is prevalent there aswell.

WTF is wrong with developers lately. They are turning into scumballs at a faster rate than usual.

Will buy Day 1 (on PC and probably 360 too if there is a console release), as I loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It is one of my all time favourite games, and I do want to support the developer.

I can see where they are coming from, but don't they realize this will do way more harm then good??

At the end of the day, all it's going to do is cause extremely low sales, piss off fans and perhaps delay the game being cracked by pirates by about a week.

Personally I think they would be better off with no DRM. DRM doesn't stop piracy at all (I cannot think of one game that has been hack proof), and is a waste of money. Better to lose out on some sales due to piracy then to lose ALOT of sales due to pissing off and turning legit buyers with bullshit DRM.

Top Bottom