• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Permanent Internet Connection UPDATE: Or maybe not?

Aselith

SolarPowered said:
You got a link? Just curious...

Yeah, I was about to ask about that. People can say whatever they want, but it is an educated guess at beast and bullshit at worst.

It's not like they can just zoom into the future and back when they want to see how their game will do under specific conditions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-30-how-bad-is-pc-piracy-really-article

"It's impossible to know how bad piracy is," agrees Michael Pachter, Wedbush Morgan analyst, "but it's pretty bad. Ubisoft told me that their PC game sales are down 90 per cent without a corresponding lift in console sales. Some of the decline is truly due to people migrating to consoles, but my guess is that 40 to 50 per cent of PC games played are not purchased."

The sad part being they think it's because of piracy.

gabbo

subversus said:
Yes, they WILL go down. But it's expected. I won't be playing this day 1 or day 3. Most likely day 40.

Grigorovich once told that they would have had sold 4x more STALKER games if it they weren't pirated.
Yes, they will go down. We agree. For a single player focused gamed, it is not welcome or expected day 1 or day 393. They can claim pie in the sky numbers for lost sales, but there is no way to back up such claims.

I consider parts of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC to be better than any shooter in the market. It ranks high up there along HL2 for me as best fps on pc. This is sad, to go down this punishing DRM path.

subversus said:
Grigorovich once told that they would have had sold 4x more STALKER games if it they weren't pirated.

Oh well in that case....

This would probably hurt the mod community too, right?

The STALKER games were made immeasurably better with mods.

I fail to see how it could not hurt the mod community. And was the first thing I thought of with this news. I can deal with draconian DRM for a great game, but the mod community for STALKER was one of the best and produced some of the highest quality mods Ive played.

Absolutely mandatory for the full STALKER experience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
x3sphere said:
Yeah, GSC confirmed it was multiplat in the initial announcement. It's still leading on PC, though

Leading on PC is bullshit talk with DRM like this. The console versions will likely be plug and play, meanwhile PC gamers are dicked over just trying to play the goddamn game.

I'm so unbelievably disappointed, especially given my anticipation for STALKER 2's reveal. By including this awful DLC to deter piracy, they've deterred me as a paying customer. I might just be giving this one a miss.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't know, if it works and the game won't be cracked this time or pirates will get an inferior game (they had a case because it took a few months to crack AssCreed 2) it will be awesome because other devs will be able to implement this model and focus onsingle player PC games again. But I think that protection will be cracked in first week and their servers will be down often, legitimate customees will be fucked, bad word of mouth will spread.

DTKT

So my main fear is that they go all "Red Faction" on this and strip everything that made Stalker unique. The atmosphere, the gunplay, the balance between mutants and human NPCs.

If it's just the zone and and a linear FPS, I fail to see how it could succeed.

subversus said:
I don't know, if it works and the game won't be cracked this time or pirates will get an inferior game (they had a case because it took a few months to crack AssCreed 2) it will be awesome because other devs will be able to implement this model and focus onsingle player PC games again. But I think that protection will be cracked in first week and their servers will be down often, legitimate customees will be fucked, bad word of mouth will spread.

The best singleplayer PC game this year could be obtained DRM free.

Meh. I'm a massive fan of the series, so while this isn't at all desirable, I'll be buying day one. I mean, shit, even if it's at Clear Sky level, it'll get modded into greatness.

jackdoe

HotHamWater said:
Meh. I'm a massive fan of the series, so while this isn't at all desirable, I'll be buying day one. I mean, shit, even if it's at Clear Sky level, it'll get modded into greatness.
Can you even mod with the way this DRM is set up? It makes it seem like some game data isn't kept locally on HDDs.

Lasthope106 said:
Aselith said:
Ah, thank you.
Aselith said:
The sad part being they think it's because of piracy.
This stupid corporate culture is really starting to get annoying. In simple terms... most companies are just full of yes men and the few that get it can't effect change no matter how forward thinking their ideas are unless the boss decides to steer things in a better direction.

It doesn't matter if another company like Valve gets it because company policy turns most companies into giant echo chambers where the same stupid shit repeats itself over and over regardless of how damaging it can be to business. If giant Banks and Megacompanies are doomed to fall to the same fate I don't see how stupid little video game companies can manage it any better.

The ones that get this are few and far between.
Dead Man said:
And yet they continue with this shit.
I hope it continues to fall apart until they change their naive and ignorant ways. There is no way in hell that I'm going to stomach DRM.

Pyrrhus

How much Drano did these guys drink before they thought they were in the same weight class as Ubisoft and EA?

Deadbeat

Banned
subversus said:
An exception that proves the rule.
its always an exception that proves the rule when it goes against common misinformed opinions. People just dont like being proven wrong.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Deadbeat said:
its always an exception that proves the rule when it goes against common misinformed opinions. People just dont like being proven wrong.

Name me one big high-profile single-player only PC game that sold the same numbers in the last two years.

subversus said:
Name me one big high-profile single-player only PC game that sold the same numbers in the last two years.

That's not as good an argument as it sounds on the surface. The decline in quality singleplayer experiences has coincided with the increased use of draconian DRM schemes. I'm not suggesting a relationship there by any means, but I don't think that the belief that publishers using more and harsher DRM will result in a sudden upswing in the fortunes of the singleplayer PC game fan is one which makes much rational sense.

DTKT

subversus said:

It's hard to judge numbers when most are digital and big players like Steam are not saying anything.

Tacitus_

I mean, I get where they're coming from since piracy is a huge issue in eastern europe, but doing always online drm for a single player game is stupid. Not to mention that the STALKER games were so buggy without mods.... this is going to blow up in their face.

x3sphere said:
Blizzard is doing the same thing with Diablo III. The game is still leading on PC so I'll probably buy it, despite the DRM.

Yeah, no. Different thing. Blizz made D3 a multiplayer only game.
which is what Diablo already was, despite the ramblings of some oldtimers, but lets not fight it out here

-BLITZ-

I hope and sure their servers will burn literally. The fact that hundreds of people will download the game simultaneously, everything will go blackout like APB servers in the next days. The game will have above 7GB and many will have their progress download in hours since not everyone has a smooth internet connection and speed and to not forget in case if their servers are crap because it happens to me as well to download with 5MB as usually from a server and from another one allows only 300kb.

However, we need to remember that every game has his own bugs, glitches that makes the game to freeze, similar to Fallout 3/New Vegas characteristics so is impossible that STALKER2 to not crash/freeze at some point of 00% of downloading because of some bugs that doesn't let you download from this point anymore and adding the tens of patches that we see from the previews games, this will be just the beginning.

I don't know why, but I got a feeling the game will end up badly. Man, when you are afraid of something and try to run from it, something that you have to face, the situation gets worst to you more and more. If they don't learn this, it's their fault. Is like this game will not end being cracked. Every game have been cracked so deal with it.

graywolf323

Gold Member
subversus said:
Yes, they WILL go down. But it's expected. I won't be playing this day 1 or day 3. Most likely day 40.

he's an idiot then

Blizzard

Banned
I bought multiple STALKER games. I think I double-bought one so I could get it on Steam. I even bought Pripyat right after it was released since I wanted to support the developers releasing it for a relatively cheap price, I believe.

I will not be buying or playing this one if the online requirement stays. This sounds even worse than Ubisoft since it actually requires game data transfer. o_O

-BLITZ-

From here I can say they are more as "We made the game like this; you buy it or not ?", like they don't care about any of us, no exceptions; doesn't matter the levels or the position of any gamer. To who are making this game then. Are they trying to get in spotlight, money now is the priority, something similar to NFS/Call of Duty Series, game every year.

Yeah good luck with that.

Ihya

Non issue. I can think of maybe a couple of occasions in 5 years when problems with a game working over the net have caused a real problem.

Sober

Blizzard said:
I bought multiple STALKER games. I think I double-bought one so I could get it on Steam. I even bought Pripyat right after it was released since I wanted to support the developers releasing it for a relatively cheap price, I believe.

I will not be buying or playing this one if the online requirement stays. This sounds even worse than Ubisoft since it actually requires game data transfer. o_O
I'm pretty sure it will be as much a hassle to pirate and only the really determined will try to figure a workaround, but will scare off anyone trying to pirate it anyways.

Meanwhile, legitimate users will essentially be streaming the game. I'm curious to see how much is actually missing and will require you to download as you play, especially if its worth more bandwidth than a few hours in a multiplayer game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. The fuck is someone supposed to do now? PC gamers are the reason FOUR STALKER games exist, now we get this? We buy it, we support this shit. We don't buy it, we ensure the console versions are prioritised even more from now on. Hell, if someone finds a work around they'll blame piracy and use even more aggressive measures. GG.

Card Boy

Banned
Alextended said:
Lol. The fuck is someone supposed to do now? The PC community funded 3 STALKER games, now we get this? We buy it, we support this shit. We don't buy it, we ensure the console versions are prioritised even more from now on. GG.

It's a lose lose situation.

Drazgul

JADS said:
If this fucks with mods in anyway ... No way that they are that stupid ?

Not necessarily, depends on how the modding support (if any) is implemented. It's a good excuse to ditch the support altogether tho and sell overpriced DLC's instead.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
JADS said:
If this fucks with mods in anyway ... No way that they are that stupid ?
We live in a world where the latest numbered Battlefield game isn't modable man. Lol. Bye bye Desert Combat, Project Reality, and other such caliber efforts.

Card Boy

Banned
The sad thing is there will be some publisher/developer in the future that will top these shysters in terms of worse DRM. We haven't even reached the stage of mandatory Battlenet type Authenticators where you need a pin to log in each time you want to play a single player game.

Gez said:
The sad thing is there will be some publisher/developer in the future that will top these shysters in terms of worse DRM. We haven't even reached the stage of mandatory Battlenet type Authenticators when you need a pin to log in each to you play a single player game.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 would like a word with you :p

Top Bottom