• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Permanent Internet Connection UPDATE: Or maybe not?

Gez said:
This is the part where i say 'thatsthejoke.jpeg' to cover for my forgetfulness.

Hah, nah it's a fair distinction really. They still don't mandate it for everyone, though I think that a whole lot of people, myself included, thought that would change after they released WoW Cataclysm.

jim-jam bongs said:
Never fear my comrade, there will always be developers making PC games that don't suck or use idiotic DRM systems. Keep the faith!

Ah, thanks, I needed that.

ONE DAY WE SHALL LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE THERE EXISTS NO DRM!

General Shank-a-snatch said:
N.O.T.H.A.N.K.S.

ahaha

that says it all!

Vaporak

subversus said:
I don't know, if it works and the game won't be cracked this time or pirates will get an inferior game (they had a case because it took a few months to crack AssCreed 2) it will be awesome because other devs will be able to implement this model and focus onsingle player PC games again. But I think that protection will be cracked in first week and their servers will be down often, legitimate customees will be fucked, bad word of mouth will spread.

And your reason for believing this is what exactly? The evidence is that Ubi went down this path and lost 90% of their PC sales.

itxaka

Defeatist
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 to require a crack to be played by legit customers.

Scene groups saving legit customers against developers. What a strange industry this is.

And your reason for believing this is what exactly? The evidence is that Ubi went down this path and lost 90% of their PC sales.

Not only that, but legit customers were unable to play thanks to ubisoft servers crapping down and even we had to resort to use cracks for the legit version as the launcher will not connect for whatever reason (Happened just 15 days ago to me)

Dead Man

Durante said:
So the theme of this thread is "Blizzard can do it, but if anyone else does it it's the devil" again?
Only if the theme of your post is 'Hey, I didn't read the thread but I feel like being contrary so I feel cool'.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Durante said:
So the theme of this thread is "Blizzard can do it, but if anyone else does it it's the devil" again?
Huh? Blizzard has yet to do it and there were plenty people whining about it @ the Diablo III announcement thread. Just also more defenders since Diablo III does have a sizable multiplayer-only fanbase that doesn't care some people can't play offline anymore. But S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't even multiplayer focused, so, yeah...

Longshot

Begs the question, what will happen in 5 - 10 years time when those servers are shut down? Everyone who bought a legit copy is screwed.

Alexios

Sigma Storm said:
Begs the question, what will happen in 5 - 10 years time when those servers are shut down? Everyone who bought a legit copy is screwed.
Guess gog.com will evolve into making a living by launching authentication services for by then old ass games, lol, for their own version only of course (seems like that would be less work than completely reworking such a system to include that data client side, but maybe I'm wrong and it would be doable).

robin2

EatChildren said:
Leading on PC is bullshit talk with DRM like this. The console versions will likely be plug and play, meanwhile PC gamers are dicked over just trying to play the goddamn game.

I'm so unbelievably disappointed, especially given my anticipation for STALKER 2's reveal. By including this awful DLC to deter piracy, they've deterred me as a paying customer. I might just be giving this one a miss.
This.

Durante

Dead Man said:
Only if the theme of your post is 'Hey, I didn't read the thread but I feel like being contrary so I feel cool'.
I did read the thread, and I don't think anyone who did that and read the equivalent Diablo 3 thread can deny that here the general feeling is one of outrage, while with Diablo 3 it was tempered with a lot of acceptance and even quite a few defenders. Now, one can make a point that it's because of the game's multiplayer focus, but even so I doubt it would have been accepted as easily from any other developer. Except maybe Valve, they have similarly dedicated defenders. (Which admittedly irks me)

Kill Strelok DRM.

This is a shame. I don't see myself ever being away from an internet connection for any great length of time, much like most people I'd assume, but it's not quite the way things should be...

...unless there's more to the story, with the alluding to missions, items, etc. being streamed from central servers? If there's a host of fresh material...or perhaps big quests run by admins in realtime for all Stalkers to find a particular object shunted into the world (I'm picturing small squads of Stalker teams pouring over maps or engaging other squads in a bid to locate rare artifacts etc.), then that sounds pretty nifty.

They just need to make sure there's an incentive, not just to counter piracy, but to take advantage of the link and offer the player a raft of options and reasons to accomodate. There really needs to be a switch in the psychology of an always-online DRM scheme, if we're to have it around from this point.

Love the games but I would be a bit worried about not being able to play when my internet drops out.

so...what happens when the servers for that game shut down?....yeah...
They will chuck a patch up online for people to distribute with the code needed to play it offline. Not fair to make the community keep it up but it is better than nothing.

StuBurns

Banned
Metalic said:
I hope this doesn't become a standard and every PC game must have an internet connection, then PC gaming will be dead for reals.
It wouldn't kill PC gaming at all. The largest growth areas within PC gaming for years have been always online games, facebook, F2P stuff etc. The forty million or so Western 'core' PC gamers for the most part almost certainly have good internet connections.

I don't care so much about the DRM but the fact that it is apparently EARLY IN DEVELOPMENT? What? They said it would be out in 2012. :(

Durante said:
I will never touch the single player portion of Diablo III. After I discovered the online mode in Diablo II, I dropped the single player portion and never looked back. The Diablo series is meant to be played as a multiplayer game, and so while I don't like the principle of having always on DRM in the game, it will not affect me since I have no plans to play single player. If Blizzard makes a game that I want to play single player and I have to have an always on online connection then I will not buy the game.

Pylon_Trooper said:
They just need to make sure there's an incentive, not just to counter piracy, but to take advantage of the link and offer the player a raft of options and reasons to accomodate. There really needs to be a switch in the psychology of an always-online DRM scheme, if we're to have it around from this point.
I like the way you think, and yeah, if the online component was integrated into the design and truly added to the game then this would be less of a bitter pill. But as it sounds its just DRM that will only lead to annoyances and disappointment.

Leonsito

I have the three STALKER released so far, I love them, I can't wait for STALKER 2, but now I won't buy the game, it's hard to pass on something you really were expecting, but I don't approve of this shit, they can rot in hell, this is stupid, and I hope sales reflect that this is a mistake.

Leonsito said:
I have the three STALKER released so far, I love them, I can't wait for STALKER 2, but now I won't buy the game, it's hard to pass on something you really were expecting, but I don't approve of this shit, they can root in hell, this is stupid, and I hope sales reflect that this is a mistake.

I'm suddenly very interested.

NullPointer said:
I like the way you think, and yeah, if the online component was integrated into the design and truly added to the game then this would be less of a bitter pill. But as it sounds its just DRM that will only lead to annoyances and disappointment.

Yeah, sadly it seems that way. However, I'm a glass-half-full kinda fellow, so we live in hope.

Sye d'Burns

Sigma Storm said:

No, no, no. See, people didn't buy a legit copy. People licensed the usage of a legit copy and agreed in the EULA that the service can be shut down with 30 or 90 days notice.

See, you're falling into what I like to call the ownership fallacy.

1-D_FTW

Alextended said:
We live in a world where the latest numbered Battlefield game isn't modable man. Lol. Bye bye Desert Combat, Project Reality, and other such caliber efforts.

As bad as that is, at least you can (in theory) still play the main game and enjoy it.

STALKER games have been pretty horrible without the mods. If this locks mods out, I wouldn't touch their game with a ten foot pole. That's a huge distinction. Forget about wanting extra content, I just want the main content to be playable (something they've proven not very good at without outside mods doing their job).

Durante said:
I did read the thread, and I don't think anyone who did that and read the equivalent Diablo 3 thread can deny that here the general feeling is one of outrage, while with Diablo 3 it was tempered with a lot of acceptance and even quite a few defenders.

And I'm sure you only haven't posted the names of the specific individuals who accepted the one but decried the other because you had to get a sandwich... right?

Metalic said:
I hope this doesn't become a standard and every PC game must have an internet connection, then PC gaming will be dead for reals.

Indie games have been rushing headlong in the opposite direction for several years here and they're the lion's share of what's really unique and special about PC gaming anyway.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Welcome to the future..

..oh well.. I've never really cared, to be honest. I just play games, and my internet connection is always on.. if it's down.. I go outside.. I so want to join the outrage on DRM.. but I just can't muster it.

I just want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

Bazhard

Banned
StuBurns said:
It wouldn't kill PC gaming at all. The largest growth areas within PC gaming for years have been always online games, facebook, F2P stuff etc. The forty million or so Western 'core' PC gamers for the most part almost certainly have good internet connections.
Problem with that is the most part (in NA) have bandwidth caps.

Not everyone is blessed with fios.

When someone comes out with a crack that disables this and allows me to play off-line then ill buy it.

Bazhard said:
Problem with that is the most part (in NA) have bandwidth caps.

Not everyone is blessed with fios.

When someone comes out with a crack that disables this and allows me to play off-line then ill buy it.
How much bandwidth does this use?

Serious question. I imagine it must be tiny.

Emitan

Foliorum Viridum said:
How much bandwidth does this use?

Serious question. I imagine it must be tiny.
With services like Netflix and Youtube being common place, how much room left does the average person have in their plan?

Hey, I have a 60gb/month limit so you're preaching to the choir.

I just have no idea how much something like this would use in terms of bandwidth. I'm not defending it - I'm just seeing if it is quite a significant amount.

bengraven

I will be purchasing STALKER 2 and I'm always online, so I have nothing to fear.

That said, if my internet goes out, I'll just play another game.
if the internet goes out during the first couple weeks that S2 is out, I will rage

NervousXtian said:
Welcome to the future..

..oh well.. I've never really cared, to be honest. I just play games, and my internet connection is always on.. if it's down.. I go outside.. I so want to join the outrage on DRM.. but I just can't muster it.

I just want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

If my connection goes down, I tend to reach for a single player game to play until it comes back on. In any case, it's not just your own connection, it's the game's servers as well.

Asparagus

Sad thing is I'm not even surprised, or angry anymore. I'll just skip their games and spend my money on other things like I did/do with Ubisoft.

aasoncott

An official response is incoming. From the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Facebook page:

I understand you are all concered about this DRM "news" that was published. I will confirm its legitimacy next week. As far as I know this is just hearsay.

So I guess other companies didn't learn from the huge loss of PC sales from Ubisoft.
Oh well, they'll never learn

EDIT: Oh maybe they did, seeing that response

Clevinger

Tunavi said:
Who will be playing this game without internet?

I live in an area where weather frequently cuts out the only broadband providers we have. I'm sure I'm not alone in rural America, even if we are a minority. Plus it sucks for the people who can only get dialup. Yes, they're a small minority, but it sucks when it's you.

gabbo

Clevinger said:
I live in an area where weather frequently cuts out the only broadband providers we have. I'm sure I'm not alone in rural America, even if we are a minority. Plus it sucks for the people who can only get dialup. Yes, they're a small minority, but it sucks when it's you.
Not American, but I know the pain of which you speak quite well.

Alexios

It's not like it's an only an issue due to malfunctions like that either...

Why have a single player game stall/lag/freeze/disconnect (!) just because someone on the same network is downloading stuff...

Top Bottom