• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Will Require A Permanent Internet Connection UPDATE: Or maybe not?

sca2511

I'd still buy it unfortunately, but at the right price. Downloading parts of the game while playing, ridiculous.

Eusis

I'd probably just end up getting on consoles... if I even bothered period. It seems to me like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. really shined BECAUSE of the mods, and DRM that HAS to kill any potential for that (or at least unofficial patches that fix bugs in said quests) for the sake of grabbing a few potentially lost sales isn't something I want to put up with at all.

Of course, it's moot if this is somehow a gigantic hoax or (more plausibly) something they backpedal on very fast, but I'm not feeling too optimistic with how insane publishers/developers are getting these days.

DSN2K

no problem really for me if they choose to do this...someone else will just get my money and I wont play Stalkers II.

Hylian7

Tunavi said:
1. This is a horrible idea.

2. Who will be playing this game without internet?
Probably all of us will at some point. I was so glad Steam offline mode existed when my dorm's internet connection was not working. I just kept playing my 150+ games on Steam during that time that I couldn't play TF2 (since that's multiplayer only). The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were games I played during that time.

Has anyone pointed out that the quote in question was a Google Translation?

Google Translation:

GAMERU.NET: - What is the security system will be in STALKER 2?

- Protection from piracy? Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. We need constant access to the Internet. Will finish the text information, code and maximum game. Software piracy hurts us to beat, we fight with him, but in moderation. If people can not buy a licensed version, it is to our advantage, so he bought a pirate, and then wanted to buy a license. In Ukraine, there are different products that people love so much that he buys a license in principle. We want to create just such a product.

Original:

GAMERU.NET: - Какая система защиты будет в S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2?

- Защита от пиратского копирования? Часть контента будет находится на сервере и скачивается по мере прохождения игры. Нужен постоянный доступ к интернету. Будет доканчиваться текстовая информация, максимум код и игра. Пиратство больно по нам бьет, мы боремся с ним, но в меру. Если человек не может купить лицензионную версию, то нам выгодно, чтобы он купил пиратку, а затем захотел купить лицензию. В Украине есть разные продукты, которые человеку нравятся на столько, что он покупает лицензию принципиально. Мы хотим создать именно такой продукт.

Might be a mistranslation?

Dead Man

crimsonheadGCN said:

Google Translation:

Original:

Might be a mistranslation?
Surely they would have said that if it was teh case.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't pass on a new STALKER, so I hope that GSC are really reconsidering the DRM. It's not nice to fuck over the people who buy your games.

samjaza

I got the last three games, I'm not sure about this one though.
Seems even worse than clear sky's DRM.
Il have to wait for more proof to make a proper decision.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

zkylon

zkylewd
Reverse confirmed!

http://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker/status/123028034835062784 said:
DRM was only mentioned as a possibility, not a choice. We're still looking for a method that is acceptable for both GSC and the community!

edit: you guys are fast...

Backtracking indeed. It's pretty hard to see how Google could have mangled it that badly. Comments like "content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. We need constant access to the Internet. Will finish the text information, code and maximum game" are fairly straightforward and comprehensive as far as details, so I also find it hard to believe that this was "just a possibility".

Either way, if it doesn't happen then I guess I'll buy the game which would be nice.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's no way such detailed DRM plans were given out as some kind of mistake.

But hey, say whatever you want to save face. Just make the right decision.

markot

Banned
You know whats shocking?

Most Pirates would turn in their watery graves if they knew that this 'piracy' was now associated with their name >.<

Gvaz

Banned
I love the stalker series but that thing in the op makes me pause and cry out "uguhhhhhh"

I'll wait to see if it's really the case, or when it gets patched out or is very cheap, whichever's sooner.

I've bought every single one of their games so this is kind of shitty to me.

Corto

Why won't they go and visit Poland to go talk with GOG guys? This game would have a crazy amount of goodwill in this day and age if they went no DRM at all. I reckon some people would buy the game just on principle.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Has anyone google translated the rest of the interview?

It says it will pretty likely be released on 360 as well, but it's not as likely on the PS3, at least not on launch as I understood it.
The 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games have sold slightly more than 5 million units in total.
It will be a trilogy of games like the first trilogy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.
The plan is to release it in 2012 but only if it's finished in time.
They want to make something good for multiplayer, if they are to include an MP mode, they'll see.
The graphics will be modern, and therefore system requirements might not be that low.

Top Bottom