• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Saagar Enjeti: This Could be the End of the GOP Forever

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
After an election, there is always something like “will the other side ever recover”

Reactions: Ornlu

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Doubtful. The pendulum is always in motion.

Reactions: Tesseract

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Agreed completely, the title is clickbait. But the question is what it's going to look like.

Starship Troopers - PosterSpy

LOL

Yeah Christopher definitely had problems. I remember reading Hitch-22 (his autobiography) and his mother committed suicide. She actually called his house before doing it and he was away with his mates IIRC. That kind of shit fucks a brother up for life man. It doesn't take Freud to figure out how the drinking started anyway.

Yeah, and I remember one of his interviews where Christopher basically said he has always hated his brother because of Christoper's strong Oedipus complex for his mother; dark shit, but he was very honest about it.
How many times a week do you think Saagar cranks one out while thinking about Krystal Ball?

I would hope zero; she's his boss.

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
They say this every time an election rolls round.

Trump will be forgotten by April.
I think everyone can agree that there has never been a President like Trump, so I think taking comfort in precedent is mistaken.

Reactions: Ogbert

Ogbert

Feb 21, 2018
I think everyone can agree that there has never been a President like Trump, so I think taking comfort in precedent is mistaken.
There have been plenty. They just weren’t on tv or our phones all the time.

We had the same thing in the UK. Corbyn (a plonker) was supposed to have destroyed the Labour Party. Six months later Keir Starmer is in. Much more sensible. Corbyn is no longer the story.

It just needs the GOP to work out what to do. A more centrist, perhaps Latino candidate. And they get to watch Biden slowly dement and the Left get ever more batshit crazy.

Biden won because of COVID.

Reactions: pramod

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Interesting, I don't think I ever saw that interview... do you know if you can still find it somewhere?

I tried looking for it; unfortunately it's probably going to be difficult to find. Finding a 30 second snippet contained somewhere within a sea of 1-hour+ long interviews isn't likely.

If I do come across it, I will post it here and tag you. :messenger_beermugs:

Reactions: QSD

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
After last November, it's clear that battleground states are going to keep our general elections as nail biters. So calling any party dead when it was so close is very premature.

It's also clear that there will be no movement from the Republican Party for the foreseeable future. If they have an opportunity to re-nominate Trump, then theyll have no one else. And all other GOP primaries will be the same. They will only allow candidates that are anointed by him.

Basically a strangle hold. Controlled and capitulant.

And since Trump is soooooooooo transactional, they might as well sign their souls over NOW. Because he's going to get something out of it.

It will be done with the understanding that if you support Trump there's no turning around later. It's like a joining a gang, the penalty for backing out is the GOP's own equivalent of being "canceled".

Or maybe they'll support him and still get nothing. Imagine Marco Rubio being primaried by Ivanka. That would be such a kick to his nuts! You defended, you supported, you carried water and even shit shoveled. And you still got cancelled.

Croatoan

Jun 24, 2014
Even if the GOP dies there will always be two parties. The Democratic party will likely split between moderates and progressives. Your an idiot if you think this will be a one party country...the whole system is set up for two parties.

Aug 28, 2019
The GOP somehow ends up almost always voting across party lines aside from a few Republicans who have refused the new wave of populism.

All that matters is the votes in congress really; also GOP continues to have the majority of governorships so they maintain a lot of power at the state level.

The real threat isn't themselves, but the growing number of people getting educated and moving to urban centers lol

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
People were saying this when Obama won. The republicans aren’t over, it’s a two party system where the other side will always have a way to bounce back.
It was sort of true when Obama won twice that the Republicans had to reinvent. The problem is that reinvention has just self-aborted.

fart town usa

May 31, 2009
midwest
If the GOP can truly ditch neo-cons and their corporate bedfellows, they could retain people who stopped voting Left and started voting Right. I think the main issue for a lot of people who recently started voting GOP is that the Democrats and their acceptance of Woke culture is more frightening than the current state of the GOP. I'm included in that camp.

We're seeing it now in that "Conservative" influencers are starting to build their own platforms that aren't beholden to Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. But like with any kind of alternative outlet, it's going to be demonized by political opposition and corporate news. We're already seeing it with Substack, mainstream news outlets are already making moves to discredit the people who use Substack. I think the biggest thing will be if Democrats pursue legislation that categorizes "conservative" outlets as domestic terrorism. That seems pretty insane to do but I wouldn't be surprised if congress unveils that type of legislation during Biden's first term.

perkelson

Dec 13, 2020
Caling Sagaar conservative is hilarious. He is the kind of hot dog type of Conservative that basically has like 5 issues and claims to be conservative where on every other issue he is left wing.

And his take here shows basically how he don't understand trump base. Because he can't for one he is not conservative, second his pet reasons for calling himself conservative would put him in RHINO camp not in TRUMP camp.

Right now it is open warfare between rhinos and trump republicans.

If anything Trump SAVED republicans because after Obama they basically had no message and they were gangbanged by left wingers left and right on every issue not putting up any fight.