• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber Interactive works on an Xbox One game, may be Halo 2 Anniversary

chadskin

First of all: Credit goes to Neuro for digging around and sending me a PM. Since he's a junior, I've opened this thread on his behalf. All hail Neuro!

So, Vyacheslav Solovov is the Head of Concept Art Department at Saber Interactive (portfolio, LinkedIn) who says he's working on an unannounced Xbox One title:

sFh0b6o.png

As some may recall, Saber Interactive was responsible for porting Halo 1 Anniversary Edition to 360.

With ntkrnls leak that Halo 2 Anniversary is coming, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe they are back for the porting job - which in turn would confirm ntkrnls leak H2A is coming to Xbox One (and may add credibility to his other claims).

Not too far fledged. However if anyone's porting Halo, it better be first party studio like 343.

Would be quite ridiculous that the best Halo game is not ported by Microsoft themselves.

Magwik

Banned
First of all: Credit goes to Neuro for digging around and sending me a PM. Since he's a junior, I've opened this thread on his behalf. All hail Neuro!

So, Vyacheslav Solovov is the Head of Concept Art Department at Saber Interactive (portfolio, LinkedIn) who says he's working on an unannounced Xbox One title:

As some may recall, Saber Interactive was responsible for porting Halo 1 Anniversary Edition to 360.

With ntkrnls leak that Halo 2 Anniversary is coming, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe they are back for the porting job - which in turn would confirm ntkrnls leak H2A is coming to Xbox One (and may add credibility to his other claims).

:( Halo CEA looked awful imo

Nibel

I guess this settles it then - wonder how H2HD is going to look like

R.I.P.D. in peace H2 surprise announcement at E3

Mikey Jr.

Not too far fledged. However if anyone's porting Halo, it better be first party studio like 343.

Would be quite ridiculous that the best Halo game is not ported by Microsoft themselves.

Its a port.......

Why waste an entire studio to port an already created game to another platform?

Its like asking Naughty Dog to waste their time porting Uncharted 1 to PS4.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
E3 '14 is gonna be so crazy for Sony. MS's E3 has been substantially dampened. All the cool reveals are gonna prompt a

"Oh yeah, cool, so that one dude was telling the truth." Should still be cool, though. Pretty excited for H2A. It's the only game in the series I beat on Legendary (although I didn't beat tartar sauce)

Overdoziz

Banned
:( Halo CEA looked awful imo
It was alright. Bit too busy compared to the original and some of the fog was missing in certain levels, but overall they did a decent job. The game had some gorgeous areas with great lighting and with tons of color. Especially the Library got a nice makeover.
It will never beat the clean look of the original, though.

Its a port.......

Why waste an entire studio to port an already created game to another platform?

Its like asking Naughty Dog to waste their time porting Uncharted 1 to PS4.

Dedicate a smaller team within 343 to port so that all Halo games in Xbox One can have one streamlined experience? Maybe I like things organized and not just a straight up port, or maybe I want companies to be equally involved.

But then again I'm sure they're smart enough.

Saber and Certain Affinity did Halo CEA. I think Saber did the graphics upgrade and CA did the multiplayer maps. I don't know who ported the game to have the graphics upgraded but presumably 343i will be well involved with everything

Chettlar

Banned
E3 '14 is gonna be so crazy for Sony. MS's E3 has been substantially dampened. All the cool reveals are gonna prompt a

"Oh yeah, cool, so that one dude was telling the truth." Should still be cool, though. Pretty excited for H2A. It's the only game in the series I beat on Legendary (although I didn't beat tartar sauce)

Not according to um, the actual guy that leaked all this. He said what he's saying wasn't a drop in the bucket or something like that. Like, there's tons more he hasn't told us yet.

Not that Sony won't bring the big guns. Boy oh boy I can't wait for their show, but it isn't as if Microsoft won't have a few pretty awesome things up their sleeve.

Notice we haven't heard a thing about Rare or several of MS's other studios.

Saber and Certain Affinity did Halo CEA. I think Saber did the graphics upgrade and CA did the multiplayer maps. I don't know who ported the game to have the graphics upgraded but presumably 343i will be well involved with everything

Oh that's cool. I hope they do justice to the game and I hope its not a quick cashgrab.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hope extra extra extra special care is given to the cutscenes in Halo2. They were so ambitious at the time, and kind of failed to live up to their scope. The cutscenes in Halo2anniversary need to have avatar levels of production values and direction to truly convey the enormity of what is happening in Halo2.

levyjl1988

Banned
Halo 2 Anniversary should be made on the Xbox 360 that way it looks good in my collection. There's gonna be quite the disparity when all of the Halo games are lined up together.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not according to um, the actual guy that leaked all this. He said what he's saying wasn't a drop in the bucket or something like that. Like, there's tons more he hasn't told us yet.

Not that Sony won't bring the big guns. Boy oh boy I can't wait for their show, but it isn't as if Microsoft won't have a few pretty awesome things up their sleeve.

Notice we haven't heard a thing about Rare or several of MS's other studios.

The only reason I believe this part of it is because, in the grand scheme of things, he didn't reveal too much. Especially if he said that certain things (like the H2A) were going to be revealed in March (I think this is what he said when he was saying that this would be announced really soon). He also didn't seem interested in talking negatively of Microsoft, so I'm gonna assume there was potentially a lot more than what he just gave us.

I'm going to caveat this: What he revealed was A LOT given how many leakers don't reveal much at all. However, as for the number of games he revealed, it wasn't that much. A lot of them weren't even releasing until 2016 and the only ones that he revealed that were new as well as coming this year was Forza Horizon 2 and Halo Anniversary 2.

Chettlar

Banned
The only reason I believe this part of it is because, in the grand scheme of things, he didn't reveal too much. Especially if he said that certain things (like the H2A) were going to be revealed in March (I think this is what he said when he was saying that this would be announced really soon). He also didn't seem interested in talking negatively of Microsoft, so I'm gonna assume there was potentially a lot more than what he just gave us.

I'm going to caveat this: What he revealed was A LOT given how many leakers don't reveal much at all. However, as for the number of games he revealed, it wasn't that much. A lot of them weren't even releasing until 2016 and the only ones that he revealed that were new as well as coming this year was Forza Horizon 2 and Halo Anniversary 2.

Exactly, and both weren't even that far-fetched or surprising either. The fact that he was so excited about what they're doing for Halo 2 anniversary gets me pumped, but it's something we know was coming eventually. Forza Horizon 2 was also pretty expected as well.

Great news, but I think they've still got a bunch more to announce.

I loved Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary but if this is for the XB1 they need to really overhaul the engine, it looked terrible in HCEA.

udiie

I just hope they restore the original multiplayer. If I could have that same experience as halo 2 but with updated graphics I might have a new competitive shooter take the throne finally

Chettlar

Banned
I loved Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary but if this is for the XB1 they need to really overhaul the engine, it looked terrible in HCEA.

ntkrnl (I think) said they were going at H2 Anniversary with a bit of a different philosophy. I hope that affects how they approach the graphics.

I'm curious, does any body want to play Halo 2 Anniversary with the older graphic ala Halo CE Anniversary?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, does any body want to play Halo 2 Anniversary with the older graphic ala Halo CE Anniversary?

lol hell no, that game is ugly as sin.
The original just looks sooooooooo much better. I know theres a lot of scale stuff in H2 that on a technical level blows what was going in the first game out of the water but good god that game looked like trash.

EBE

ntkrnl (I think) said they were going at H2 Anniversary with a bit of a different philosophy. I hope that affects how they approach the graphics.

Halo CE still works. Halo 2 looks pretty bad now. time hasnt done it any favors.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweeeeet. They did a damn good (though not perfect) job on CEA. I hope they're working on H2A.

Chettlar

Banned
lol hell no, that game is ugly as sin.
The original just looks sooooooooo much better. I know theres a lot of scale stuff in H2 that on a technical level blows what was going in the first game out of the water but good god that game looked like trash.

Same here. I actually sort of hope the Halo 3 HD ntkrnl said we were going to get bundled with it (in the "War Bundle" thing) would be redone sort of. Like, different textures and faces.

Gadzukes people's faces in Halo 2 and 3 are ugly. Good lord.

CE is still very pretty though. Just goes to show what a good art style can do for ya.

amnesiac

I hope they keep the campaign the same for the most part. Obviously improve the things that are in need of improvement though.

ntkrnl said there'd be tons of stuff added or something, so that makes me a little cautious. I hope it's not a "reimagining" of Halo 2, so to speak. There's too much they have to do to the original to make this game last 2 generations later, IMO...

They probably should've done this earlier so we could have gotten all the Halo games in true HD on the 360.

Pudge

I wish this was Halo Trilogy on PC...

That's never coming out is it?

*cries and shakes in a corner*

Chettlar

Banned
The Halo 3 port would just be a direct port, not an actual remake like H2A would be.

I hope they redo the textures and faces like I said before. Halo 3 is a pretty impressive game graphically, but art style wize it is the ugliest, second only to Halo 2.

But 1080p scarab battles can kindly enter my veins when they get the slightest inclination to. :D

I wish this was Halo Trilogy on PC...

That's never coming out is it?

*cries and shakes in a corner*

200_s.gif

*goes crazy and just starts repeating "Halo. On PC. Halo. On PC. Oh Halo will come to PC. Oh yes it will. It will. It's just, just around the corner. It will. Halo. On PC. Halo. On PC." maniac laughter*

blamite

Real talk, if H2 Anniversary has the original Halo 2 multiplayer with all the original maps and nearly identical gameplay, I would seriously consider buying an Xbone just for that.

Otherwise I'm buying a PS4, and probably never playing a new Halo game again.

The tech/engine that let CEA switch between the fairly seamlessly between old and new graphics assets was Sabre's.

Neuro

The best Halo game was Halo Imo...Halo 2 multiplayer was awesome granted but the original Halo cannot be beaten IMO...I think 343 will be overlooking the entire project like they did for the first one

The best Halo game was Halo Imo...Halo 2 multiplayer was awesome granted but the original Halo cannot be beaten IMO...I think 343 will be overlooking the entire project like they did for the first one
And here we go!
It was alright. Bit too busy compared to the original and some of the fog was missing in certain levels, but overall they did a decent job. The game had some gorgeous areas with great lighting and with tons of color. Especially the Library got a nice makeover.
It will never beat the clean look of the original, though.

I was impressed with how CEA turned out. I was expecting more of a lame texture-bump style anniversary edition, but 343 hit it out of the park.

as a long time halo fan I actually enjoyed Halo CE anniversary, i can see the color palette being too much for some people, but thats how i always envisioned those green, purple, orange and blue shades in my head. I think that was a big part of why I felt Halo 2 felt kinda drab when it came out, especially earth

Top Bottom