• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sack Lather: Sony exec confirms LBP2, supports Move

Yoboman

Seriously, what could they add to the same sort of game that they haven't already done or could do with DLC packs or another "GOTY edition" upgrade

jiggle

badcrumble said:
So, Sony at E3:

-Twisted Metal PS3
-LittleBigPlanet 2

Are just about certain. Good stuff.

M3, K3, R3, starkhawk sounds pretty certain too, and G5 release date
edit: insomniac showing multiple projects apparently?

big MEH for me. gimme dark cloud and legen of dragoon!
SCEJ is so fucking useless

gbovo

Yoboman said:
Seriously, what could they add to the same sort of game that they haven't already done or could do with DLC packs or another "GOTY edition" upgrade
Probably address some of the complaints of floaty physics when platforming that were leveled against the first game. I didn't have a problem with it, but I can see how some people would want more accuracy when jumping from platform-to-platform.

well, seeing as it's a sequel to a game that got tons of upgrades, it's probably going to be a complete revolution, something that would break the upgrade path and just be too hard to retrofit.

i can't wait to see it!

gbovo

jiggle said:

...and spell check.

For those saying a sequel would fracture the community, I ask, how much of the community is actually left? I'd be curious to see how well the PotC DLC did as I imagine it was a fraction of what the MGS DLC did.

I know from my experience that I haven't put my LBP disc in for months and months, I haven't bought any DLC since the MGS DLC and probably never will, but I would be there day one for LBP2. While it's nice in theory to think that they could just keep releasing patches and updates, I don't think the console market is ready for that kind of release model, and in the current gen drawing a line under LBP and bringing out an LBP2 that refines the controls, adds new features and puts out a package equalling or exceeding the first would serve MM, Sony and the audience better.

Yoboman

gbovo said:
Probably address some of the complaints of floaty physics when platforming that were leveled against the first game. I didn't have a problem with it, but I can see how some people would want more accuracy when jumping from platform-to-platform.
Most people wouldn't even notice, and those people who really have a problem with it would probably write it off from the start if it looked the same

Now I wouldn't really mind if they did the same sort of thing but went with a whole different sort of aesthetic, got rid of sackboy and made it look totally unique from the first game. But if it just looks like the first game with promises of tighter controls, why would the people who had no problem with the first game's controls be interested?

Dogenzaka

Banned
I want this if the sequel is a robust 3D platforming/action-adventure creation tool.

LBP1 was incredible for 2D content, but being able to make my own 3D action-platformer would be amazing. We could make the Banjo Kazooie Rare never gave us.

Please...

Please.

C'mon E3.

I understood, but never agreed with those complaints.

The physics were likely the most realistic platforming physics we've seen. That's what pissed people off. Of course they had to invent their own rules for a sackcloth jumping in the air, but the system of physics the game used was unprecedented and amazing. If you practiced, you got used to Sackboy's jumping physics quite easily, or at least I did.

Then again, I aced everything and got my LBP Platinum trophy within 2 days of launch.

GeoramA

jiggle said:
edit: insomniac showing multiple projects apparently?

I'm hoping for a new Survival Horror from the Siren team.

SCEJ surely has other games in development other than The Last Guardian and GT5...right?

Yoboman

GeoramA said:
I'm hoping for a new Survival Horror from the Siren team.

SCEJ surely has other games in development other than The Last Guardian and GT5...right?
Maybe, hopefully, a new Demon's Souls

But SCEJ is garbage and I get the impression they are kind of small

cakefoo

Yoboman said:
Most people wouldn't even notice, and those people who really have a problem with it would probably write it off from the start if it looked the same

Now I wouldn't really mind if they did the same sort of thing but went with a whole different sort of aesthetic, got rid of sackboy and made it look totally unique from the first game.
They'd have to get rid of the name LBP too- because anything that indicates it's that game with the floaty jumping physics is apparently a no-no. Seriously, that's like asking Mario to shave the mustache.

But if it just looks like the first game with promises of tighter controls, why would the people who had no problem with the first game's controls be interested?
Presumably for the promise of new tools, new powerups, new levels, new bosses, new community features, etc. You act like they're going to just tweak the jumping physics and called it LBP2 and slap $60 on it.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
For those saying a sequel would fracture the community, I ask, how much of the community is actually left?

Well it tells you in the game menu now. Over 2 million levels created. 15,000 to 80,000 (roughly) online players depending on the day of the week...
But LBP2 would be nice.

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
I want this if the sequel is a robust 3D platforming/action-adventure creation tool.

LBP1 was incredible for 2D content, but being able to make my own 3D action-platformer would be amazing. We could make the Banjo Kazooie Rare never gave us.

Please...

Please.

C'mon E3.

I understood, but never agreed with those complaints.

The physics were likely the most realistic platforming physics we've seen. That's what pissed people off. Of course they had to invent their own rules for a sackcloth jumping in the air, but the system of physics the game used was unprecedented and amazing. If you practiced, you got used to Sackboy's jumping physics quite easily, or at least I did.

Then again, I aced everything and got my LBP Platinum trophy within 2 days of launch.
I don't want to play a 3d paltformer. It is going to be empty walking most levels. Boring as hell. I want a tuned version of littlebigplanet. unlocked planes (should be free move between the 3 planes), power ups, add music midi composer, revamped physics between the planes. That is what I want. This will allow for games like crash bandicoot to be possible. And would allow for more gameplay. I can't see a 3d platformer be that great due to size of levels and load times.

There are tons of unfixable problems in littlebigplanet. The search feature sucks. The automatic lock on plane system sucks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Massa said:
I remember an interview with Shuhei Yoshida where he said SCEJ would focus on PS3 in the future.
I do too, but I get the feeling he was counting games they're publishing like WKC2, since nothing seems to have appeared on the PS3 front for a very long time since that interview.

Edit:

Actually, maybe they're behind some of these PlayStation Move titles.

Ranger X

What LBP2 needs besides being server-based instead of P2P is to have an interface similar to Youtube.
People need to access community levels everywhere and being suggested all the time. They need a true rating system, true profile pages, favorites, etc.

If the community side of LBP wasn't completely broken (as it is now), they wouldn't even want to make a LBP2. Let's hope they don't miss the train this time.

Jeels

Die Squirrel Die said:
For those saying a sequel would fracture the community, I ask, how much of the community is actually left? I'd be curious to see how well the PotC DLC did as I imagine it was a fraction of what the MGS DLC did.

I know from my experience that I haven't put my LBP disc in for months and months, I haven't bought any DLC since the MGS DLC and probably never will, but I would be there day one for LBP2. While it's nice in theory to think that they could just keep releasing patches and updates, I don't think the console market is ready for that kind of release model, and in the current gen drawing a line under LBP and bringing out an LBP2 that refines the controls, adds new features and puts out a package equalling or exceeding the first would serve MM, Sony and the audience better.

There are always a bunch of people online, at least the month before and following the Pirates DLC coming out. I haven't played since then either.

kevm3

They need to put in an organic creature creator. As much as I like the original, a lot of the stages feel more like obstacle courses than anything because there's not really actual 'creatures' there.

Yoboman

I guess I just recognise MM have creativity in spades and I'd be disappointed to see them go down the path of every other developer in just making sequels, UNLESS it was still as creative

Dogenzaka

Banned
wizword said:
It is going to be empty walking most levels. Boring as hell.

Takes a load off my mind! Whew. I'm so glad you know so much about what a 3D LBP would be like.

There are tons of unfixable problems in littlebigplanet. The search feature sucks. The automatic lock on plane system sucks.

Those things have been, and will be, and are, easily patched. You don't need a new game for that. They've been editing the online system since launch.

They need to put in an organic creature creator. As much as I like the original, a lot of the stages feel more like obstacle courses than anything because there's not really actual 'creatures' there.

This. I think we can unanimously agree that creature AI and creation needs to be more robust.

Ranger X

Yoboman said:
I guess I just recognise MM have creativity in spades and I'd be disappointed to see them go down the path of every other developer in just making sequels, UNLESS it was still as creative

Anyways we don't know what the sequel is.
They could pull off a sequel that is in fact an immense "fix" of the first game. Also, all the stuff you bought or created in the first game could be compatible with the second one. That could be as awesome as something completely different.

Slavik81

Yoboman said:
The original game they made was so unpolished and clunky that they absolutely need to go back and do it right. The second time, they could do it a thousand times better.

Dogenzaka said:
Those things have been, and will be, and are, easily patched. You don't need a new game for that. They've been editing the online system since launch.
Obviously not THAT easy, because search was broken for months. And I really don't think plane movement can be readily changed. You might end up screwing up already existing levels by changing the mechanics like that.

iceatcs

A Link to the Snitch said:
Could LBP be upgraded to support Move?
There is a video demo but it's seem co-op move gameplay so far. Example someone open the door for you using pointer.

Let me in

I can get on board for an LBP2. I wish there was an install option for the game, it's the kind of thing I would boot into every week if I didn't have to take out the disc I was currently using.

GeoramA said:

Yes, Yoshida has even said that one of the things he was aiming to fix when he moved back to Japan was SCEJ's PS3 output. He said that we'd be seeing the results of that this year.

thuway

SolidSnakex said:
Yes, Yoshida has even said that one of the things he was aiming to fix when he moved back to Japan was SCEJ's PS3 output. He said that we'd be seeing the results of that this year.

Hopefully he doesn't mean dozens of PS3 Move titles aimed squarely at casuals. SCEJ is the weakest link in the WWS.

Azerach

Banned
thuway said:
Hopefully he doesn't mean dozens of PS3 Move titles aimed squarely at casuals. SCEJ is the weakest link in the WWS.
Except that the biggest Sony franchise is developed under SCEJ.

hxa155

badcrumble said:
So, Sony at E3:

-Twisted Metal PS3
-LittleBigPlanet 2

Are just about certain. Good stuff.

add

Agent full reveal
resident evil psp
the last guardian reveal
playstation move launch titles
gran turismo release date
final fantasy versus 13 trailer
final fantasy xiv trailer
soe's games
demon's souls 2 announcement

i can dream right

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd be OK with them canceling every other presentation and just saying "Demon's Souls 2, Fall 2010" and exit stage. Best E3 ever.

I do want more LBP, though. Even though I'm a little weary about this (only because I <3 LBP/MM) I'll be on board for whatever they do next.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yoboman said:
Probably a whole new engine (or revision, most likely) to better use of the PS3's hardware, I'm guessing. Maybe it'll have better AA and no screen tearing :O (vsync)

hxa155

Yoboman said:

i think it will be a new game that's different from the first one

Man

GeoramA said:
They're responsible for the two best games this gen (Siren Blood Curse and Demon's Souls).

Top Bottom