• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Has Proven Very Unpopular on PC

Calverz

After the PC port of the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection set the record for the lowest player count of any Sony game at launch, Sackboy: A Big Adventure has come along and beat it by an alarming margin. Across its first weekend on sale, the highest number of players it had at any one time was just 610. Compare this to the 10,851 peak the Nathan Drake remasters recorded and it's immediately clear how unpopular Sackboy has proven on PC.

Ulysses 31

shame-pity.gif

Braag

Has sackboy ever been super popular? Considering Sony has still titles that would perform very well on PC (Demons Souls, Bloodborne, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon: FW) Sackboy was an odd choice to port.

nial

Gold Member
It's main purpose being ported will be to help fill the catalogue when PS+ PC (proper) eventually launches.
How could that be possible? They would not only need a proper storefront, but also a full catalog of games that have been released since November 2013. I really don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Tomi

Dont worry

Sony was probably aware that this wont sell well, but they will earn plenty of cash from all those other games ported to pc

yurinka

It was super obvious that Sackboy wasn't going to sell like GoW, Horizon or Spider-Man. Sackboy isn't a game that sells 20M copies, it's a way, way smaller IP.

And well, it also has been released in the busiest part of the year, and it's a full priced kiddy game. In fact a port of a 2 years old one, not even a new one.

I think Sony never expected this port to get big sales at launch. I assume they thought in the long term, the sales it may have over time during several years specially during sales or after price cuts. But even with that, I think they expected relatively low sales because I think that as in PS, the role of the game wouldn't be to get huge sales itself but instead diversify their 1st party portfolio adding a quality kid friendly 3d platformer game.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
How could that be possible? They would not only need a proper storefront, but also a full catalog of games that have been released since November 2013. I really don't see it happening.
It will happen eventually. Maybe not for a couple of years, but all the PC ports recently and those still coming, also people finding hints of PS PC Launcher in the PC code of some games. They don't have to just have PS games, GamePass includes third party games too, so if expect them to do the same.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Why is it unpopular?

No mods for a naked Sack Boy?

Cant run it overclocked at 520 fps?

Don't need to re-install Windows and sell your first born to the devil to get a driver to make it work?

No keyboard and mouse support?

You are the master race. Come on!!!!111!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The best part of it was when I loaded it up on Steam and game kept telling me I needed to log into my Epic games account just to play...

Spyxos

It is a good game, but it would be better when they would release 1-3 before that. And i dont think most pc players even ever heard about LittleBigPlanet..

ahtlas7

Why is it unpopular?

No mods for a naked Sack Boy?

Cant run it overclocked at 520 fps?

Don't need to re-install Windows and sell your first born to the devil to get a driver to make it work?

No keyboard and mouse support?

You are the master race. Come on!!!!111!
With that name I’m surprised theres no mod already.

Crayon

Has sackboy ever been super popular? Considering Sony has still titles that would perform very well on PC (Demons Souls, Bloodborne, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon: FW) Sackboy was an odd choice to port.

When little big planet was poppin, a lot of kids were onboard and i think sony was doing really good on dlc (of which there was copius amounts) for it.

Buggy Loop

Wow, I saw the speculation thread for sackboy and Returnal not long ago, I thought they were still in the rumour stage. Had no damn clue this released days ago. Did it have any marketing?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's the best Mario game I've played in years, people are missing out on a real gem.
People will say the same about Mario if it ever lands on PC.
These are games whose success is deeply tied to their native hardware and its fanbase. Bring them to PC and watch them become much, much less relevant.

Why the fuck does it matter? Most have either already played it or will do so in the future. I don't get the point of these numbers to scare studios into submission. I hope we also get Puppeteer and Tearaway including LBP Remasters just to piss people off.
I really hope nobody has to waste money on Puppeteer ever again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the game like a little gem on its own? At least I remember hearing good praise about it.
Launch game for PS5 showing off the DualSense features, of course it had good praise.
Two years later on PC, of course the music has changed.

It was a fun game, but nothing mind-blowing. A big selling point was that it was a launch PS5 game that showed off features such as the DualSense and the new PS5 Cards - two things that are irrelevant for a PC release.
Yep. But even if it could have those features, for the average PC player this is little more than another drop in the ocean.

kubricks

Sackboy/LBP is honestly not a recognizable IP outside of the Playstation bubble, simple as that. No marketing about the PC release also didn't help, although I doubt it will make a lot of difference anyway.

Sony probably knows it but released it anyway to test water.

Sentenza

People will say the same about Mario if it ever lands on PC.
These are games whose success is deeply tied to their native hardware and its fanbase. Bring them to PC and watch them become much, much less relevant.
Bollocks. A Mario Galaxy or Odyssey suddenly dropped on Steam would sell gangbusters (even despise the fact that both are incredibly easy to emulate).
Sack Boy is just nowhere near in terms of appeal.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony still holding onto Dreams for PS. If there's one game that makes sense on PC it's that one. Community creators and m/kb support and it'd sell great I'd think.

TLZ

Banned
It's the best Mario game I've played in years, people are missing out on a real gem.
This. It's actually the best Sackboy game imo. Used to find the old ones drab and bored me quickly. Definitely not this one. They took a different route with it and it worked well.

Sony still holding onto Dreams for PS. If there's one game that makes sense on PC it's that one. Community creators and m/kb support and it'd sell great I'd think.

Dreams is such an easy win with a PC port and add in a monitization system lets the creators make money off their bigger efforts. It could literally become its own legit marketplace. The fact it wasn't a simultanous release on PC, and that Sony is just letting it continue to lay on its deathbed on PS5 for years, is bonkers.

It was already sent out to die on Playstation (60$ / 70€ it still at that price). The price is outrageous (notably in Europe) particularly compared to gems like Stray (30$) or Kena (40$) which both sold incredibly well. Personnaly I would have bought Sackboy at launch at half-price and I instead bought Stray and Kena at launch because those were a no brainer.

I blame Jim Ryan. Those kind of AA games need people talking about them to encourage others to buy them. But who was going to buy the game at that absurd price? It's not Mario or Zelda IP. So stupid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom