• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2 DS remake official site opens

duckroll

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/saga2/

There's nothing on the site except the key visual and a sample track so far, but it does list the staff for the game:

Executive Producer and General Director: Akitoshi Kawazu

Co-Executive Producer and General Supervision: Hiromichi Tanaka

Composer: Kenji Itou

Supervision: Youichi Yoshimoto

Character Design: Gen Kobayashi

Producer: Hiroyuki Miura

Based on the staff, I'm going to say it's more likely that this is being developed by Square Enix Osaka (Samura Legend, Re:CoM, Birth by Sleep) rather than Matrix.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
Based on the staff, I'm going to say it's more likely that this is being developed by Square Enix Osaka (Samura Legend, Re:CoM, Birth by Sleep) rather than Matrix.

Is that a good or bad thing?

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
Is that a good or bad thing?

Erm, I don't think facts can only be seperated into good or bad. I'm just saying who's more likely to be developing the game based on the staff involved. :p

It could also be TOSE, seeing how Hiroyuki produced the Dawn of Souls, and the FFV and FFVI ports to GBA. Either way, it's highly unlikely that this is a Matrix game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking of picking up the original on PSN. Does anyone have any thoughts on the game? I hear it is really open ended.

PolyGone

Banned
Ah... the music... so many great tracks in this one.
so many memories...

With two older brothers hogging the home's main console, the GameBoy was a godsend, and the SaGa series was pretty much the go-to game for my RPG goodness.

Zefah said:
I was thinking of picking up the original on PSN. Does anyone have any thoughts on the game? I hear it is really open ended.

Not the same as SaGa Frontier, dude...

duckroll

Zefah said:

The original..... on..... PSN? What? Only SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2 are on PSN. This is a remake of SaGa 2, the second game in the original SaGa series from the 80s. They were all on the original Gameboy. ^^;

Spiegel

duckroll said:

Are they big enough to make two games at the same time?

EDIT

Ah, I see it can also be TOSE

Ashour

At 1st I thought it's about Saga Frontier and I was like Ewww, but then I realized it's the Gameboy game SaGa which I never played but heard good things about.

Baloonatic said:
This game kicked my arse when I was a kid.

Man, me too!! My god this should be good! At least I hope so.
saga2.gif

My favorite thing about the game... I love that artwork. Probably my favorite Squaresoft-era work. It looks like Amano, am I correct in saying that it is?

wrowa

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Man, me too!! My god this should be good! At least I hope so.
saga2.gif

My favorite thing about the game... I love that artwork. Probably my favorite Squaresoft-era work. It looks like Amano, am I correct in saying that it is?
The DS game is a remake of SaGa 2 and not of Romancing SaGa 2 :p

FinalFantasyLegend2-j.jpg

Stumpokapow said:
why on earth would level 5 be on this

For that matter why on earth would he want TOSE to handle it?

I'm half-tempted to believe TOSE would add slowdown to the DS version of Saga 2 that wasn't originally in the GB version.

duckroll

john tv said:
I didn't even know there was a Square Enix Osaka. Is that a recent thing?

Nope. They've existed since PS1 days afaik. The "Osaka team" handled Parasite Eve 2, and I would believe by extension they handled Einhander and Brave Fencer Musashi before that. It's always been a small team that isn't really mentioned much. More recently they worked on Samurai Legend and Re:Chain of Memories. They're currently working on KH Birth by Sleep on the PSP.

The two main connections to the Osaka team from the staff here is Yoichi Yoshimoto and Gen Kobayashi. Yoichi is the director of the Musashi games, and the co-producer on both Re:CoM and BbS. Him being a supervisor on the project indicates to me that the team is at least handling the design development in SaGa2. Gen Kobayashi on the other hand is just a S-E artist/designer. I'm not sure where he's physically located, but he's worked with the team before on Musashi Samurai Legend, before he did the character designs with Nomura on TWEWY.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PolyGone said:
Not the same as SaGa Frontier, dude...

duckroll said:
The original..... on..... PSN? What? Only SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2 are on PSN. This is a remake of SaGa 2, the second game in the original SaGa series from the 80s. They were all on the original Gameboy. ^^;

Oops! Well that shows what I know about the SaGa series!

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Gen Kobayashi on the other hand is just a S-E artist/designer. I'm not sure where he's physically located, but he's worked with the team before on Musashi Samurai Legend, before he did the character designs with Nomura on TWEWY.

TWEWY was the first thing I thought of when I saw the character designs on the website. That explains it.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
hopefully this is an internal project, no idea why people would want tose (though it probably is. the "osaka" staff just comprises of a supervisory role and character designer. heck all the SE staff seem to just have a supervisory role in this game)

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
Llyranor said:
What does SaGa2 actually play like gameplay/mechanics-wise? I don't really have much experience with the series.

it's kind of a random mess tbqh. each class gets stronger differently depending on what items you give it, monsters can't even hold/equip items but they transform randomly whenever you give them meat (it's a gamble), and your stats improve randomly no matter what class you are (you can't grind and expect your strength to be 100 by the end of the day. you could grind and all your stats could be high BUT strength. anything goes, it's completely random). and weapons can only be used a limited amount of times - think fire emblem (though i think magic is regenerated whenever you sleep at an inn)

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Llyranor said:
What does SaGa2 actually play like gameplay/mechanics-wise? I don't really have much experience with the series.

It's an old-school setup: You choose your 'main' character and party from a list of classes, ranging from 'Human', 'Esper', 'Robot', and 'Monster.' Each class has it's strengths, such as the Human being able to equip almost all weapons and armor and the Robot being able to use weapons over and over. You buy weapons and armor and weapons have 'charges' that you use up. Espers gain Magic and Abilities after successful battles such as Fire, Ice, Lightning, being immune to certain spells, etc.

Monsters are like robots and espers in that they have abilities that can be used over and over (recharge them at an Inn) plus you can morph them into stronger monsters by eating meat after battles. For instance, after a battle your Werecat might eat a meat that would transform it into a Slyph, giving it a whole new skill set. Being able to customize your party to your specifications is awesome. Absolutely loved this game.

RedBoot

Heh, before I even clicked on the link to the site I knew what the song would be. Actually, I can remember a lot of the music from the game, even after this long. I carried the GB version of the game around with me for years, if this remake manages to be just as good, I may do the same again.

As for SaGa 2's gameplay, I certainly wouldn't call it a "random mess," but SaGa games usually always have a bit of randomness in the character development. Still, all four races had their own method of development, and you generally had a pretty good degree of control over how your guys grew.

I'll be the first to admit the SaGa series's faults, but this game and SaGa Frontier were good enough to make up for Unlimited Saga and more.

RickA238

This is probably my most anticipated game at the moment. I absolutely love the SaGa team's work. I even loved Unlimited SaGa; the series' games are such a wonderful deviation from the standard JRPG gameplay formula. The graphics in SaGa 2 look awesome too. I wonder how they will handle the music?

Yaweee

Llyranor said:
Thanks.

And what do the actual battles play like?

Pretty standard turn-based stuff. You give commands to all of your party members at once, and it gets sorted out from there, like other RPGs of the era. For the remake, the camera positioning seems to make it look a lot like Minstrel Song.

RickA238 said:
This is probably my most anticipated game at the moment. I absolutely love the SaGa team's work. I even loved Unlimited SaGa; the series' games are such a wonderful deviation from the standard JRPG gameplay formula. The graphics in SaGa 2 look awesome too. I wonder how they will handle the music?

Interestingly, Kenji Ito is listed as the composer, where as the RS remake got somebody else to do the rearrangements of Ito's work. He's a good composer that doesn't seem to do enough nowadays.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Llyranor said:
Thanks.

And what do the actual battles play like?

Turn-based in first person. Monsters can be stacked, so as you do damage you kill off the stack. Can lead to some pretty hectic battles.

Interestingly, Kenji Ito is listed as the composer, where as the RS remake got somebody else to do the rearrangements of Ito's work. He's a good composer that doesn't seem to do enough nowadays.

Yeah I loved his work in SaGa Frontier 1. Some absolutely memorable tunes in that arrangement (especially the battle themes.)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why are there so many people in this thread that can't tell the difference between SaGa, Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Princess Skittles said:
Probably due to lack of exposure in the US and Europe.
Or more likely due to the fact that all three SaGa games were renamed to "Final Fantasy Legend" in NA. So as far as most westerns know, Romancing SaGa was the first SaGa game.

ampere

Ooooo I like how they've redone the music (the music on the website)
Can't wait for this, but I hope I can choose the race of the main character

Top Bottom