• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2 DS remake official site opens

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Anyone know how Minstrel Song did in America? I want to say this will come over, but I'm not too sure =/

What does SaGa2 actually play like gameplay/mechanics-wise? I don't really have much experience with the series.

The game's also a lot more linear than recent SaGa games too IIRC.

PolyGone

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Anyone know how Minstrel Song did in America? I want to say this will come over, but I'm not too sure =/

Keep the faith. S-E has been pretty great so far with their releases...

RedBoot

Lost Fragment said:

I was kind of worried about this too, but think about it: When was the last time we didn't get a SaGa game in the US? Romancing SaGa 3, assuming you don't count the Wonderswan SaGa 1 remake (and I wouldn't, since the Wonderswan, you know, didn't come out in the US).

Also, what DS games has Square not brought over here as of late? We're getting all the Dragon Quest games, even.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
RedBoot said:
I was kind of worried about this too, but think about it: When was the last time we didn't get a SaGa game in the US? Romancing SaGa 3, assuming you don't count the Wonderswan SaGa 1 remake (and I wouldn't, since the Wonderswan, you know, didn't come out in the US).

Also, what DS games has Square not brought over here as of late? We're getting all the Dragon Quest games, even.

sigma harmonics :(

RpgN

The song is very nice, I like the direction they're taking with this remake. I hope they'll update the site with more info soon.

I can see this is going to confuse a lot of people for a long time. :lol

Konami should remake Metal Gear so everyone can complain about/get hyped for another Metal Gear Solid remake!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Conrad Link said:
I can see this is going to confuse a lot of people for a long time. :lol

Maybe this will help:

eg1ac.jpg

I played this game ages ago and it gave me nightmares. I had to start all over again because I was stuck on a boss and the party I chose gave me no chance at beating him.

Then there was some BS thing near the end where you're sliding down this slide and there's impossibly hard random encounters every 5 seconds. I had to save the game, turn it off every 3 seconds and repeat to avoid them.

I've still got FFL2 kicking around in my basement, and my-oh-my has it been a long time since I played it. I remember abhorring the mechanics but enjoying the concept. My favourite of the GB trilogy was FFL3, but probably only because it was the most traditional (and that's what I was into at the time).

I'm glad that SaGa2 is getting remade instead of 1, which was a pile of shit and already got a Wonderswan remake. Maybe SaGa3 will get similar treatment, but time has not been kind to the bastard child of the SaGa series (no involvement by Kawazu).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, it's nice that SaGa2 will be exposed to a new audience, but I really have no desire to play through it again, remake or no.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hope it gets localized and properly named, would love to give it a shot. I am guessing SaGa 1 and 2 have no story connections?

lupin23rd

Can someone enlighten me on why this game is so awesome (and why they chose this one to port)? Pretty sure I played FFL2 and it wasn't that special.

From the artwork, it looks like SE made a mistake and started remaking a Far East of Eden game.

If SE is working on this and not something important like FF5 Remake someone needs to be fired.

Rpgmonkey

lupin23rd said:
If SE is working on this and not something important like FF5 Remake someone needs to be fired.

As much as I absolutely love V, nice to see GAF is as strong with their opinions as always. :/

A FFV remake would probably be outsourced anyway, just like III and IV were, don't think SE is exactly prevented from having both made unless Matrix (or whoever they decide to go and make FFVr) is busy.

JayDubya

Banned
This is the one with Apollo and Odin and all the different theme worlds and you're collecting Magi, right?

Good game. Everything else SaGa I've touched has been pretty awful, but I remember FFL2 fondly.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, those screens are really nice.

Speaing of Unlimited, is it worth playing? I've played a few other SaGa games, and even though it was critically panned, it always seemed very intriguing.

Teknoman

I would play other SaGa games...but dont have access to any. Would be nice for S-E to toss both frontier games on PSN at least. Became a fan with the PS2 remake. Kenji Ito needs to compose for more RPGs than just SaGa (unless there are others I dont know of).

ivysaur12 said:

Speaing of Unlimited, is it worth playing? I've played a few other SaGa games, and even though it was critically panned, it always seemed very intriguing.

I've wondered that myself. Romancing Saga got bad ratings as well...but kicked all kinds of ass gameplay, graphics, and audio wise. Still need to knock out the other stories beside Albert's.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Teknoman said:
I would play other SaGa games...but dont have access to any. Would be nice for S-E to toss both frontier games on PSN at least. Became a fan with the PS2 remake. Kenji Ito needs to compose for more RPGs than just SaGa (unless there are others I dont know of).

I've wondered that myself. Romancing Saga got bad ratings as well...but kicked all kinds of ass gameplay, graphics, and audio wise.

I liked Unlimited, it definitely has quite a learning curve. Most people (I would imagine) gave up quite early on without really delving into it (the same goes for SaGa Frontier.)

Itou-san has done a couple other games that I know of, including the newer Mana titles and most recently Culdcept Saga.

Teknoman

shykyoichi said:
There is a SaGa DS game? Is it in English?

No, they are just saying the DS remake of the GB game SaGa 2 is just that, a remake. Someone said it was a port earlier.

EDIT: I might have to snag Unlimited SaGa sometime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2lzFRuqzE

Watching this...the battle system doesnt look that hard to manage. I mean you can stop the reel spin whenever. Seems easy to spot a strong attack too, unless there is more to this than what i'm seeing.

d+pad

Dragona Akehi said:
The screens look great. I'm looking forward to this as one of the few SaGa fans in existence.

Let me second both of your comments. Oh, and add this: I hope SaGa 3 is being similarly remade for DS. And then maybe they can start working on console remakes of Romancing SaGa 2 and 3? Pretty please??

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
thetrin said:
Why are there so many people in this thread that can't tell the difference between SaGa, Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier?
Well, the last SaGa game we got was a remake of RoSa1, so seeing the 2 on this remake, I can see the confusion there. Where Frontier comes into all of this, I don't know.

yayaba

Oh man, I just found out about this just now. I'm pumped. FFL2 is probably my all time favorite Gameboy game. I must have beat the game around 10-15 times during my childhood.

I thought I was so cool for figuring out the: fight two battles, get random stat boost, turn off Gameboy, turn back on Gameboy, fight two battles, get random stat boost glitch. It took me maybe an hour or two to get up to 999HP in the first world and the rest of the game was a breeze.

Robots were awesome too. I think I actually finished the game a few times using just 4 robots. One with XCalibr, one with Gungir, and the others with the Dragon Sword I think.

Hell, I even managed to get a Seven Sword too off a Haniwa. Equipped that bad boy on my robot and even though it halfed the number of uses to 3 I could still kill Arsenel in like one or two hits after doing 2000-3000 damages.

Man I loved that game.

What a coincidence, i just bought the remake for the PS2 (romancing saga). Problem is i dont like playing games on the NDS, but as a fan i will definitely buy also this game.

Shiggie

Grazypanda said:
What a coincidence, i just bought the remake for the PS2 (romancing saga). Problem is i dont like playing games on the NDS, but as a fan i will definitely buy also this game.
PAY ATTENTION!!
You FAIL!

jeez, get a live! I did read Teknomans post. I just pointed out that i bought a remake, sorry if you get the idea i linked it with Final Fantasy Legend. I liked this game in the old days and thats why i will buy this one. Just like the FF remakes. Remakes, you know.

hayama987

I remember beating final fantasy legends 1-3 on gb is this the one where
last boss is like big orb with laser canons or something?
been long long time since I've played them.

RickA238

Teknoman said:
Watching this...the battle system doesnt look that hard to manage. I mean you can stop the reel spin whenever. Seems easy to spot a strong attack too, unless there is more to this than what i'm seeing.

And that's precisely where most people lose Unlimited Saga; there is a ridiculous amount of stuff going on behind the scenes. As was said before, it has a very high learning curve. Without a FAQ/Walkthrough, you're looking at ~40 hours of playtime before you really have any idea what's going on. The battle system is very unorthodox beneath the surface and takes a long time to get a feel for. On top of that, Laura, the character with the most traditional quest, has to fight the second hardest form of the final boss. This requires a lot of grinding late in the game, grinding which isn't usually required to reach the final boss. The game also loses people here, as grinding in this game is possibly the most unorthodox part about the game.

If you can learn to embrace all this, plus the board game non-graphics style, then you will find one of the deepest and most entertaining RPG's around. It also has some of the best artwork and music you will find in any game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ivysaur12 said:

I remember liking it but being confused by what I had to do at some points. Also the game is absolutely unforgiving. I played it when I was younger though, I have more patience for these things now so I'm giving it another go. From a visuals standpoint, its a beautiful game.

Yaweee

RickA238 said:
And that's precisely where most people lose Unlimited Saga; there is a ridiculous amount of stuff going on behind the scenes. As was said before, it has a very high learning curve. Without a FAQ/Walkthrough, you're looking at ~40 hours of playtime before you really have any idea what's going on. The battle system is very unorthodox beneath the surface and takes a long time to get a feel for. On top of that, Laura, the character with the most traditional quest, has to fight the second hardest form of the final boss. This requires a lot of grinding late in the game, grinding which isn't usually required to reach the final boss. The game also loses people here, as grinding in this game is possibly the most unorthodox part about the game.

If you can learn to embrace all this, plus the board game non-graphics style, then you will find one of the deepest and most entertaining RPG's around. It also has some of the best artwork and music you will find in any game.

There's the "GAF plays Unlimited Saga" thread I created a few months back, rendered with so many typos in the title to be unsearchable.

Most of the main complaints get addressed in the thread. Some of them are people just not understanding what the hell is going on (a SaGa tradition), while others are true even after playing the game many times, notably the possibility of extensive lost progress and sometimes arbitrary LP loss. If you've played other games in the series, it should make some sense, but it's definitely the most unique SaGa.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm starting to warm up to the screens but I still wish they went 2D. Glad to hear Kenji Ito is back on soundtrack duties.

wrowa said:
The DS game is a remake of SaGa 2 and not of Romancing SaGa 2 :p

FinalFantasyLegend2-j.jpg

Oh geez, my fault. I didn't read it thoroughly I guess! Thanks for pointing that out. Still awesome though as I loved that one just the same.

thetrin said:
Why are there so many people in this thread that can't tell the difference between SaGa, Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier?

I don't see what the big deal is. It was a mistake, no need to crucify people for the confusion.

Game is looking really awesome though. I'm excited to see it's transition.

Saga series...

I first played Saga Frontier 1 or 2, chose some character named Lute and I was off. I played for a few hours and got wiped out by foes over and over. I couldn't understand how early in the game this was happening. I gave up

Later we have Unlimited Saga and yeah...that game. I enjoyed nearly everything about the game except the actual playing of it...sort of. Music-yes, art-not bad, in game plot- tolerable. Played Ventus whole story in the span of 20 hours and once I lucked out a win with his final boss, I could stand no more.

Then it was Romancing Saga Minstrel Song. I honestly told myself I can do it and forge on through. Yeah, got to some sewer of some mansion and ran around in circles with foes either being pushovers or hard like no tomorrow. Couldn't even make heads or tails of where the game wanted me to go.

So...Saga 2 remake on DS. Am I really going to give this a shot.........yeah sure what the hell I'll bite. I'm willing to give it a shot and at least complete one of these games while enjoying the ride.

Top Bottom