• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2 DS remake official site opens

I'm not too sure if I'll get this. I regret buying Chrono Trigger DS. Most of the time, I regret buying remakes of games I've played before.

RedBoot

Urban Scholar said:
I first played Saga Frontier 1 or 2, chose some character named Lute and I was off. I played for a few hours and got wiped out by foes over and over. I couldn't understand how early in the game this was happening. I gave up

That would be SaGa Frontier 1. Lute's pretty much the worst character to start with, actually. He literally has no storyline due to the game being unfinished (you can get to his final boss in about 15 minutes), so essentially his whole quest is: Start, Grind high enough to beat the boss, Beat the boss.

The best characters to start SaGa Frontier with are Red or T260G, since they have fairly fully fleshed out quests that start out linear and build up gradually. Incidentally, I did start with Lute when I played the game. In some ways, he can be good to start with, since SaGa games have always kind of been about exploring and figuring things out for yourself (a nice way of saying SaGa games start you out without any idea of what the hell you're supposed to do). But for anyone sane, go with Red or T260G.

None of this applies to SaGa 2, though, which is a fantastic and well-paced game that we should all buy on the DS when it comes out.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Playing through Unlimited Saga right now and had to go back and read a mechanic guide to get refamiliar with the Panel system. Omg it gave me a headache :lol But I've got an idea now, on how I should handle Sparks, Panels and Magic.

SaGa 3/FFL 3 was the first I played in the series, so I was somewhat disappointed by the more traditional games, but I did play through 1 and Frontier as we ll as most of 2 (before getting to the "really hard dungeon" level and giving up) and Frontier 2 (before losing interest). I liked Minstrel Song, but didn't have time to play it, and Unlimited SaGa was about as much fun as a flat tire.

I know people say that Unlimited is much better if you really understand it, but even if the game were not so obtuse, I despise roulette wheels in games. I would have much preferred the random dice rolls that the wheels replace.

I'm looking forward to this game as SaGa 2 was pretty awesome and I'd love to try it again.

As for SaGa Frontier, I loved Lute's quest. I played it second to last, so I knew exactly how to play the game. I made Lute a Light magic wielding swordsman, so he could summon a light sword and kick ass with it. I loved the freedom of that chapter. The game alos had the most creative spells I can remember in an RPG.

jarrod

Banned
shykyoichi said:
Should I say port?
Yep.

DS Ports
-Chrono Trigger
-Dragon Quest IV
-Dragon Quest V (kinda)
-Front Mission

DS Remakes
-Dragon Quest VI
-Final Fantasy III
-Final Fantasy IV
-SaGa 2

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jarrod said:
Yep.

DS Ports
-Chrono Trigger
-Dragon Quest IV
-Dragon Quest V (kinda)
-Front Mission

DS Remakes
-Dragon Quest VI
-Final Fantasy III
-Final Fantasy IV
-SaGa 2

The DQ Games are also Remakes, since they aren`t Port s of the original versiones. Even if they was already a Ps2 Remake of 5, still doesn`t change the fact that the DS games are Remakes of the original games. Imo.

jarrod

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
The DQ Games are also Remakes, since they aren`t Port s of the original versiones. Even if they was already a Ps2 Remake of 5, still doesn`t change the fact that the DS games are Remakes of the original games. Imo.
They're conversions of remakes that already existed though. Same for Front Mission.

The DS version itself is literally not a "remake" in the pure sense, as there's a pre-existing version of it. DQ5 gets iffier because it's done ground up on a lower spec platform, it's more like the GBC conversions of the SFC DQ1-3 remakes, significantly different visually, but that's mostly it.

Symytry

My only gripe with remakes is that they lose some of the charm found in the older games.

However, the screens are looking good and the redone tunes sound great! The only thing I'd like changed from old to new is how all the weapons were breakable. What a pain the ass that was!

Let's hope the Seven Sword is in this one :D

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
yayaba said:
Oh man, I just found out about this just now. I'm pumped. FFL2 is probably my all time favorite Gameboy game. I must have beat the game around 10-15 times during my childhood.

I thought I was so cool for figuring out the: fight two battles, get random stat boost, turn off Gameboy, turn back on Gameboy, fight two battles, get random stat boost glitch. It took me maybe an hour or two to get up to 999HP in the first world and the rest of the game was a breeze.

Robots were awesome too. I think I actually finished the game a few times using just 4 robots. One with XCalibr, one with Gungir, and the others with the Dragon Sword I think.

Hell, I even managed to get a Seven Sword too off a Haniwa. Equipped that bad boy on my robot and even though it halfed the number of uses to 3 I could still kill Arsenel in like one or two hits after doing 2000-3000 damages.

Man I loved that game.

I found the 'Garbage Can' glitch and freaked out. :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So I've been playing the original in anticipation of the remake. It's still my favorite GameBoy game!

I know they've already indicated that they will be fine tuning the leveling system but I think it should still be noted, especially since I'm dealing with the fact that low agility in the second half of the game causes you to be BRUTALIZED. I think it'd be nice to give maybe a two or three point gains to a stat based on the current stat versus the level of monsters you're fighting in that particular stat is low. Some other things I'm looking forward to will be less ambiguity on what weapons do what (for example, indicating what stat they could raise), possibly new weapons and skills and hopefully some bonus dungeons (and possibly a new class or two).

I also hope that when selecting Human or Mutant or Robot characters, they offer at least a few different palettes in case you wanted to have more than one of the same character (my current party has two female mutants). I don't think this is a major issue for monsters but who would deny extra palette for them too? Not I.

What else is everybody looking forward to on the remake?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The site has been updated with some wallpapers and a blog.

There's a picture of a DS in the blog showing a screen that has "Character Edit" on the bottom screen. :eek:

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Demigod Mac said:

He said good though. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sword of Mana, but mainly out of nostalgia. The original game felt a lot more focused somehow, and some of the story changes were disappointing. The remake was decent, but could have been way better given the source material.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf, apparently Final Fantasy Adventure did get another remake. On mobile phones :/
Scroll down to Mobile of Mana.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/japan/mb110207.html

Damn, I'd so buy that if they'd release that over here. Almost identical to the original, but with updated graphics and an improved world map.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Princess Skittles said:
I think the general consensus is that if you actually spend (a lot of) time to learn the game's crazy mechanics, it can be quite enjoyable.

This sums it up pretty nicely. It's certainly not a game for the feint of heart.

Regarding this remake, am I the only one checking the site/blog on a daily basis? The anticipation is killing me...

RickA238

Farore said:
Is Unlimited SaGa any good?

I've spent ~40 hours with it (~50 including deaths). Aside from banging my head against the wall trying to figure out some of the more subtle behind-the-scenes mechanics of the game, I can honestly say it is one of the most original, complex, and fun RPG's I've ever played. Keep in mind that it would take 99/100 people several dozen hours to reach this level of enjoyment.

A world of advice: Don't start out with Laura unless you want an easy journey with a brutal last boss.

On another note, I really can't wait for the Saga 2 remake. This game is gonna be incredible.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Takeda Kenshi said:
Regarding this remake, am I the only one checking the site/blog on a daily basis? The anticipation is killing me...
I check it once a week and I perk up when the Japanese magazine news threads are created here each week (though news has been thin since the initial announcement). It is currently my most anticipated game of 2009. Of course, the real problem is how long it's going to take to get an English version.

Top Bottom