• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Note: As this adaptation aims to be closer to the manga's storyline, please spoiler tag any major manga events. Major events from other series, such as the original anime, are fair game.

Flh2oCL.png

Sailor Moon Crystal is a 2014 Anime made by Toei Animation, that is adapted from the 1992 manga Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi. The series follows the adventures of Usagi Tsukino, a clumsy crybaby who transforms into the titular character Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon battles the forces of evil while gaining new allies in her journey. The main difference between this series and the original 1992 cartoon is that Sailor Moon Crystal aims to be closer to manga's storyline, while the original anime did its own thing. The series will air biweekly starting from July 5th, and will be available to legally watch on websites such as Crunchyroll and Hulu. However, those sites may not be available depending on what region you are in.

A third season, set to cover the Infinite arc, will air weekly in Japan starting April 4th. It will also be streamed on Crunchyroll, Hulu, and VIZ Media’s website.

Cast & Crew
Company: Toei Animation
Director: Munehisa Sakai (Season 1 & 2), Chiaki Kon (Season 3)
Composer: Yasuharu Takanashi
Art Directors: Takashi Kurahashi, Yumi Hosaka
Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno
Rina Satou as Rei Hino
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino
Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino
Kenji Nojima as Mamoru Chiba
Ai Maeda as Setsuna Meiou
Misato Fukuen as Chibiusa
Junko Minagawa as Haruka Tenou
Sayaka Ohara as Michiru Kaioh
Yukiyo Fujii as Hotaru Tomoe
Ryou Hirohashi as Luna
Yohei Obayashi as Artemis
Daisuke Kishio as Jadeite
Kousuke Toriumi as Nephrite
Masaya Matsukaze as Zoisite
Eiji Takemoto as Kunzite
Misa Watanabe as Queen Beryl
Hiroki Takahashi as Rubeus
Houko Kuwashima as Esmeraude
Mamoru Miyano as Prince Demande
Hiroshi Iwasaki as Wiseman
Yuki Nagaku as Mimete
Chiaki Takahashi as Eudial
Rina Hon'izumi as Viluy
Naomi Ōzora as Tellu
Umeka Shouji as Cyprine
Hikari Yono as Kaolinite
Takuya Kirimoto as Professor Tomoe
Takaya Hashi as Pharaoh 90
See more of the Cast and Crew at Anime News Network

With the exception of Usagi, every character has received a recast. A lot of people (including me) were upset that Toru Furuya and Keiko Han did not return to reprise their roles as Mamoru and Luna, but lets give the new voice actors a chance. Remember, the characters personalities vary per adaptation, so perhaps the recasts are for the best. Our composer is Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippuden, Fairy Tail) and director is Munehisa Sakai (Suite Precure). However, for the third season, Chiaki Kon (Golden Time) has taken over as director.

Character Profiles:

Usagi Tsukino
4lvSS7g.jpg

Usagi Tsukino is Sailor Moon, a klutzy crybaby forced to fight after the revelation that she is the super heroine Sailor Moon.

Ami Mizuno
l2mH3JS.jpg

Ami Mizuno is Sailor Mercury, a genius bookworm who fights with Water.

Rei Hino
TpLwm6s.jpg

Rei Hino is Sailor Mars, a shrine maiden who fights with with Fire.

Makoto Kino
9jdBnlU.jpg

Makoto Kino is Sailor Jupiter, a tomboy who fights with Thunder Thighs.

Minako Aino
9LtpBLK.jpg

Minako is Sailor Venus, an extroverted romantic who fights with the power of love.

Mamoru Chiba
pfl7XUN.jpg

Mamoru is Tuxedo Kamen, a mysterious man who appears during times of danger.

On Our Composer: (by forum member R_thanatos)

I think that the ambient music of fairy tail is well done and suit what the show needs. I don't like the first music themes but they get better afterwards. I especially like the use of violins in many of the music as it give FT a widely different feeling that other Shonen. I say this as whole because i don't have a particular track that i think is the best but IMO the music overall quality is FT strong points.

On Our Director: (by forum member madp)

Munehisa Sakai is a relatively new director with Toei, but he's exhibited a considerable amount of improvement in a short time. His first and only series direction credit was in 2011 with Suite Precure, the eighth season of Toei's magical girl franchise Pretty Cure. While the season received little positive critical reception, this was partially due to hasty writing changes to make the show "happier" in the aftermath of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami that prevented Sakai from executing his vision to completion.

Since then, Sakai has gone on to prove in smaller projects that he is equally capable of orchestrating entertaining action and producing high-quality individual episodes with dramatic themes that far exceed expectations for content in young demographic programming. His single film credit is One Piece: Strong World, which received praise for its stylish, energetic approach to typically-bland original films of shounen anime. His three episodes in Smile Precure (2012) are the best in the season and contain such evocative, atmospheric cinematography and storyboarding in addition to emotionally-mature, poignant stories about family, loss, and uncertainty that it's easy to forget that you're watching a show that sells plastic toys to five-year-old girls.

Sakai has proven himself as both a film director and as an episode director, so will he finally manage to succeed as a series director? Even at a time at which Toei Animation seems to be limiting its creative talent's freedom more than it ever has, Sakai is still the best person Toei has to faithfully adapt a magical girl franchise with a colossal legacy.

Also, feel free to visit the Sailor Moon Community Thread to talk about the franchise in general.

Contributors: Ayumi, Bikkun, Bladenic, Box of Bunnies, cj_iwakura, Hitokage, Hours Left, KDash31987, lazybones18, Lord Ghirahim, madp, MikeHattsu, Pluto, ReXXXSoprano, R_thanatos, shadowkat, SpikedGunner, Syrinx, Zoe

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Can't wait.

They've been releasing the manga volumes for the first time (!) here in Brazil and I'm picking them up as soon as I can. Love me some Sailor Moon.

Snaku

Banned
Still have vivid memories of the dub of season one airing, and catch myself humming the theme song to myself from time to time. I hope this turns out well.

I'm excited, I actually do like
the CG transformation sequence(apart from a few nitpicks)
plus I want to see that opening.

...subscribed!

Super excited about this! I've been rereading the manga, just got to the dark circus arc. I was hoping to finish it before watching the first episode, but tomorrow I'll be out of town until sunday night.

Brakke

Banned
A primer.

That sounds dumb.

I know! And it kind of is! It’s also the best!

Why are they wearing sailor uniforms?

The now-iconic, oft-parodied sailor fuku is a riff on the typical uniform worn by junior high and high school girls in Japan. Takeuchi has said the idea came to her as a way to make a powerful superheroine that was relatable to a typical young girl. She is also very, somewhat mercenarily aware of how that image has been co-opted sexually by the non-junior-high girl audience. She seems OK with it.

And that’s what’s both frustrating and interesting about Takeuchi-san — she can be radically progressive when it comes to gender roles and feminism, but also is a girly-girl who talked in her footnotes in the Mixx manga translations about how she just wanted to write a story about cute girls and handsome boys. The anime and manga are not without their gratuitously pervy moments. I’m sure there are corners of the Internet dedicated to frame-by-frame analysis of the silhouetted transformation sequences. On the flip side, much has been written about typically feminine objects — compacts, mirrors, schoolgirl uniforms — recoded as weapons in the Sailor Moon universe. Sailor Moon can be read as third-wave feminism taken to the max, reveling in its girliness and positioning traditionally “female” traits (emotions, sensitivity, cuteness) as the only forces that can save the world.

Wait, back up … are you calling Sailor Moon feminist?

Yes, duh. If you’re looking for an antidote to the boy party that is the majority of Stateside superhero franchises, Sailor Moon is a veritable universe of women. Its heroines are women, but so are most of its villains. Just like Orange Is the New Black! Many of its central battles are between queens. Takeuchi has been adamant that only women may be sailor soldiers, which is why she was less than happy with the tweak made on the Sailor Starlights in the anime. It’s feminist in the way that Xena: Warrior Princess was feminist.

tumblr_m8dbuhsC7P1qd7h1xo1_500.gif

coy

I've watched every episode and movie so you know I'm ready for this. Cannot wait to share the return with y'all!

Gintamen

Those comparison pics aren't fair, the original series looked far worse. Höhehe

Can't wait to go full shojo style with this one.

Pluto

A shiny new thread and great first post, can't wait for the series to start.

What I've seen of the first episode so far was very similar to the first episode of the old anime, that's kinda expected because that's pretty much what happens in the manga but it's still weird after the "not a remake" announcement. I expect bigger differences later.

bobawesome

So if this follows the manga closely, that means Tuxedo Mask won't be an useless sack of shit. *joy*

What are you talking about? HE HELPED SAVE CHRISTMAS!

tumblr_mev60xjL9w1rapkbao1_r8_500.gif

Maybe he didn't help save Christmas. I don't remember much about that movie.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sure wish it aired at a better time in Japan. I don't think I could fully enjoy it waking up at 3AM to watch the simulcast... But then again, maybe I will do it anyway...

Ayumi

Sure wish it aired at a better time in Japan. I don't think I could fully enjoy it waking up at 3AM to watch the simulcast... But then again, maybe I will do it anyway...

Fortunately for you, it's on Saturdays.

Also guys, from what understood, the Niconico livestream broadcast (http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv183419343) will be in Japanese without subtitles. If you want subbed, you'll need to watch it as VOD (video on demand). http://ch.nicovideo.jp/sailormoon_English I don't really know if that will happen at the same time or after the livestream.. or how Viz/CR/Hulu are gonna deal with their episode streaming.

jgminto

I'll give the new show a shot but I'll probably just end up watching the original instead, it looks so much better.

Cheerilee

And that’s what’s both frustrating and interesting about Takeuchi-san — she can be radically progressive when it comes to gender roles and feminism, but also is a girly-girl who talked in her footnotes in the Mixx manga translations about how she just wanted to write a story about cute girls and handsome boys.

Do not trust anything in the Mixx translations. They're bullshit. They were not translations, they were adaptations. Mixx "adapted" notes from the author, which is really quite disturbing.

Naoko put legitimate "notes from the author" into the volume releases in Japan, as is customary with manga. Mixx had permission to translate/adapt those volume releases, so they put whatever words they wanted into Naoko's mouth. I can't read Japanese, so I don't know exactly how much of Mixx's version was based on the original, but it was clearly modified.

Here's a random example.
wL8GbFH.png

All of the little artworks are exactly the same as the ones in the Japanese volume releases (actually, Mixx erased a couple of them). It's absurd to believe that Naoko was paying attention to the American market month-by-month, and that she wrote new comments for the American audience month-by-month, but she didn't draw any new little sketches for the American audience, ever, that she actually tailored her new comments to work around the sketches she had already made.

So if we look at what "she" wrote...

"Hi all you Mixxers!" - Lie

"I just wanted to say "thanx" for all your letters + cards." - Oh look, Mixx portrays Naoko using Mixx's trademark "cool speak".

"I read them all." - Lie

"My friends at Mixx and Kodansha" - Mixx is pretending to be Naoko, and then having Fake-Naoko claim to be friends with Mixx.

"translate them into Japanese for me." - Why would Mixx translate fanmail when they can't even be bothered to translate notes from the author, and have to resort to making it up? Fanmail sent to Naoko, through Mixx, probably ended up in a dumpster somewhere. Mixx/Tokyopop intially didn't even have that many translators on staff. They had Stu Levy, the company founder and lone translator, and then they had to hire Rika Takahashi for Rayearth, because Clamp actually met with Stu Levy, and made "hire a real translator" one of their conditions for approval.

"And I luv your art." - More cool-speak. I hate you, Mixx.

"In fact, I've taken my favorite ones + put them on the wall next to cells from the Sailor Moon anime!" - This is probably what she used to be saying to Japanese people in this spot. But don't worry American kids, I'm sure she tore down all the art she got from Japanese fans in order to make space for yours!

"There's a cell of Melvin that I luv." - Probably true, and a drawing of Melvin is harder to work around than text which can simply be erased and replaced with more cool-speak.

"So I'll see u in San Diego in August!" - Fake-Naoko is trying to drum up hype for the appearance of Real-Naoko which Mixx apparently did pay for (unlike Rika Takahashi's services).

"Write me! Luv, Naoko" - I can't believe how much it bothers me that Mixx is portraying a woman who doesn't speak English with such "Mixx-style" bad English.

7DYNZ6r.jpg

This is a more-accurate picture of the girly-girl who talked about wanting to write about cute girls and handsome boys.

Lemmy

Banned
I think I'd have preferred Mitsuishi not have come back if she was going to be the sole original returning tbh.

If you're gonna start fresh, do so with a completely new cast for the main characters imo. Would've been better to have gotten Mitsuishi to do Beryl or something like that.

Cheerilee

Do you happen to have the original of this?

Only in hard copy.

That one's at the start of volume two, but really you can take any notes from the original run, see the little artworks peppered throughout, then check the Mixx adaptation and find some text that claims to be from Naoko, but talks about things like how we should all keep buying Mixx, and appears to endorse things like "Bunny" or "Melvin" (as seen above).

Remember that OVA where Ami had an anonymous school rival that turned into a one-sided infatuation, and the rest of the senshi figured out who he was and immediately knew the two could never date and it wasn't even worth breaking her heart by telling her who it was?

What was so unspeakably incompatible about them? Was he secretly a child? A villain? Female? Artemis?

No, turns out he was just ugly.

Kurumesuri.jpg

Anyway--

1399599001jusEverygroupprojectever.jpg

Platy

Sailor Moon was pretty important for it's time and the idea is pretty good and all ..... but Usagi is a dumb egoistic girl who only wants to get thin and be protected by tuxedo mask

She is like the WORST role model for a feminist ever.

...which is why uranus and neptune rule

Zoe

Do not trust anything in the Mixx translations. They're bullshit. They were not translations, they were adaptations. Mixx "adapted" notes from the author, which is really quite disturbing.

Naoko put legitimate "notes from the author" into the volume releases in Japan, as is customary with manga. Mixx had permission to translate/adapt those volume releases, so they put whatever words they wanted into Naoko's mouth. I can't read Japanese, so I don't know exactly how much of Mixx's version was based on the original, but it was clearly modified.

Damn, they even gave her bad handwriting (hers is actually really nice).

Sailor Moon was pretty important for it's time and the idea is pretty good and all ..... but Usagi is a dumb egoistic girl who only wants to get thin and be protected by tuxedo mask

I always saw SM as one of those shows where the supporting cast was way more interesting than the MC. Always pissed me off how Usagi got a majority of the finishers in.

I remember Naoko Takuechi once said in an interview she didn't want to be associated with feminists and didn't consider herself one, that might be why.

Also I don't know about this new composer. No cheesy disco, no buy.

Zoe

Usagi is nothing like that in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom