• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAINTS ROW – Gameplay Trailer

It looks like preorders are doing well, people are really starved for some gta type of games uh...
Well yeah GTA V is the best selling game of all time, even a small slice of that pie is huge. I miss the days when we had an abundance of GTA clones, now very few care to compete because believable urban open worlds are just harder to make than nature based fantasy open worlds for the same potential sales. Hope that Matrix demo tech help things along.

Saiyan-Rox

Let's go.

EpT6wFj.jpg

Meanwhile digital only fanboys

FMHCoSO.gif

Man I'm so bored right now I'd love to have my copy.

Hopefully the day one patch is live for you to enjoy the game properly.

Valt7786

This is gonna do well in sales purely just because of when its releasing, they were smart there. Even if its mediocre there's nothing else "AAA" out til what, late october now? Probably forgetting something.

Saiyan-Rox

This is gonna do well in sales purely just because of when its releasing, they were smart there. Even if its mediocre there's nothing else "AAA" out til what, late october now? Probably forgetting something.

Depends what you're into really

Me personally there's nothing till November as I'm not giving naughty dog £70 for the last of us.

GymWolf

Well yeah GTA V is the best selling game of all time, even a small slice of that pie is huge. I miss the days when we had an abundance of GTA clones, now very few care to compete because believable urban open worlds are just harder to make than nature based fantasy open worlds for the same potential sales. Hope that Matrix demo tech help things along.
We basically only have gta and saints row, watch dogs dosn't really hit that spot at all.

I'm actually surprised that no AAA studios tried their gta clone...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes and they still can't play the game. So what's your point? I was talking about the time when you can start playing not about the price of the game.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
You were speaking about the advantage of going physical so i wanted to chime in saying that digital fanboy payed less than half the price you payed, there is always a trade off.

EDMIX

We basically only have gta and saints row, watch dogs dosn't really hit that spot at all.

I'm saying.

Biggest shock from last gen from EA was the following, they said they were not going to focus on remasters...shock as this is EA we are talking about, second biggest shock is trend jumping EA...doesn't jump on open world trend? the living fuck?

In their defense, they did state they wanted to and for all we know they are still looking for some team or setting up some team to make some big open world crime game, with 170 million units sold of GTA V, maybe that is more true now, then when those statements were first made. If EA really doesn't do a massive open world crime game by the end of this gen ie PS5/Series X gen, I'd be even more shocked. A decade ago I'd tell you that would be the first publisher I felt would look to jump on that trend.

So...I'm really, really surprised we don't see more GTA type crime open world games.

edit- and the person paying digital now may have saved now, the person that can get physical can save forever.

Huge difference. They can buy is used, sell it later on for the difference etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm saying.

Biggest shock from last gen from EA was the following, they said they were not going to focus on remasters...shock as this is EA we are talking about, second biggest shock is trend jumping EA...doesn't jump on open world trend? the living fuck?

In their defense, they did state they wanted to and for all we know they are still looking for some team or setting up some team to make some big open world crime game, with 170 million units sold of GTA V, maybe that is more true now, then when those statements were first made. If EA really doesn't do a massive open world crime game by the end of this gen ie PS5/Series X gen, I'd be even more shocked. A decade ago I'd tell you that would be the first publisher I felt would look to jump on that trend.

So...I'm really, really surprised we don't see more GTA type crime open world games.

edit- and the person paying digital now may have saved now, the person that can get physical can save forever.

Huge difference. They can buy is used, sell it later on for the difference etc.
Yes and like i said, everything has a trade off.

With a used copy you can't play at day one and selling later means not owning the game anymore.

Last edited:

Really sad Sleeping Dogs didn't get a sequel. The Asian setting and kung fu combat set it apart. You got Mafia, which has a tradition of not really having any activities to do in the open world. Just Cause is good for fucking around, like GTA mayhem x10, but its crazy mechanics remove it from the "urban crime" genre. Cyberpunk fucked up by not having third person and failing to implement stuff that was in GTA III. But it's a hard niche to break into.

Any new open world IP set in a city needs a new twist. Every franchise still in the game has some kind of gimmick to set it apart (wacky customization, hacking, gadgets, period setting, etc.)

Top Bottom