• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 ComicCon 08 videos

Dabanton

May 25, 2007
Looking good.

Can't wait to see the city layout and see what they've changed and added.

Aaron

Apr 12, 2006
www.the-nextlevel.com
Dabanton said:
Looking good.

Can't wait to see the city layout and see what they've changed and added.
A lot of the run down areas have gone upscale, there's some reclamation land added to the overall mass, and there's a lot more interiors, including an underground mall. It's a big place.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Jul 26, 2006
www.littlemathletics.com
Aaron said:
A lot of the run down areas have gone upscale, there's some reclamation land added to the overall mass, and there's a lot more interiors, including an underground mall. It's a big place.
That's awesome. The city really is a well designed place in the first game, so it's going to be cool to check out the changes.

Aaron

Apr 12, 2006
www.the-nextlevel.com
Dark FaZe said:
Very nice. Can't wait until they show off the coop and how that works.
They already showed off at E3. It is drop in anytime, completely unlimited. The story is told from your perspective, even if you're the second person in. Any missions you complete will always be finished in your game, even if you hadn't unlocked them yet. There is no tether, so you can go anywhere you want. There's an option to warp the partner in at the start of the mission, but that's optional. If you want to jack a chopper for the end of a tough mission and just wait in the right spot while your team mate leads the enemy into the trap, you can do that too. Co-op is a huge focus of SR2.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sep 18, 2004
www.youtube.com
hand to hand combat already looks more fun than slow-as-molasses GTAIV.

Holy crap this one jail level is more complex than anything in GTAIV. Man I hope it's actually fun to play.

Always-honest

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
alistairw said:
Don't shit up the thread, dude.
okay. wasn't trying to. they are however very comparible games... and from what i can see there is a big difference in production value, on a lot of fronts.. it can still be fun though.
not trolling

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
May 14, 2006
Could they have picked a worse guy to show playing? It's like he was looking down at the controller every 30 seconds.

Always-Honest said:
okay. wasn't trying to. they are however very comparible games... and from what i can see there is a big difference in production value, on a lot of fronts.. it can still be fun though.
not trolling
The graphics may be better in GTAIV, the story may be better, but the gameplay in SR2 may just be leaps and bounds more fun.

Always-honest

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
squatingyeti said:
Could they have picked a worse guy to show playing? It's like he was looking down at the controller every 30 seconds.

The graphics may be better in GTAIV, the story may be better, but the gameplay in SR2 may just be leaps and bounds more fun.
lots more was better in gta4... but yeah, especially in co-op this game (SR2) can be way more fun. Crackdown was more fun to in co-op than gta4

Future PhaZe

Oct 4, 2007
Aaron said:
They already showed off at E3. It is drop in anytime, completely unlimited. The story is told from your perspective, even if you're the second person in. Any missions you complete will always be finished in your game, even if you hadn't unlocked them yet. There is no tether, so you can go anywhere you want. There's an option to warp the partner in at the start of the mission, but that's optional. If you want to jack a chopper for the end of a tough mission and just wait in the right spot while your team mate leads the enemy into the trap, you can do that too. Co-op is a huge focus of SR2.
Fucking awesome.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sep 18, 2004
www.youtube.com
What wasn't impressive to you guys? Wasn't it pretty interesting how intricate this indoor environment was considering this is a giant open world game? Especially considering stuff they've shown in earlier trailers, plus that one trailer showing all the insane customization and being able to have your own property.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Jan 29, 2006
Aside from the fact that I'll miss Euphoria, this looks like lots of fun. It's a shame that I got excited when I saw driving controls that actually made sense. lol

llTll

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
AgentOtaku said:
what I was thinking! :D

....now show some PS3 footage dammit!

those videos have very bad screen tearing.

if they dont fix this when the game is done, then i am not buying this game. :/ fix the Vsync damn it ---_---

sullytao

Apr 5, 2007
UK
I thought the videos were pretty good. The gun play looks as good as ever especially with the new zoom and the hand to hand looks fantastic for this type of game. Only slight concern with it so far is that it seems that you will start off with a gun when the first mission is over. One of the cool things That I remember from Saints Row 1 especially the demo was going round ramming all the news machines and people to scrape up enough money to buy a handgun and then earn more by robbing shops. Other than that though its in my top 5 most anticipated for this year.

Ploid 3.0

Jun 6, 2004
Ok I'm liking the cutscene link. The tv looks entertaining without relying on sex humor. So far so good, and if their mindless fun stuff to do is awesome I won't mind the inclusion of the tv programs. I just don't want the entertainment (TV programs, comedy shows, etc), within the game to be a focus point that take away from other features.

All this does it make the wait even harder. Looks great.
Some refinements to the shooting, which is pretty cool, though showing the arm hand and gun looks a bit odd, especially when the gun is firing, fine tuning your shots looks good though.
The physics look improved, the animation when you run someone over isn't on the same level as Euphoria but it looks like they tweaked it to make the people you run over move less like ragdolls, more like they have weight and limits on their limb movement when they're hit/dead.
The framerate looks good, hard to tell with how these clips were filmed but it looked much better than the original.
The lighting looks quite good too, the graphics are more cartoony than GTA4 but the lighting makes up for a lot of it. The framerate should be a lot higher than GTA4.

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
eviloreisarapist
The aiming and melee seems better than the first game. The ability to aim over the shoulder is great and it seems like kicks are better linked into a combo instead of being another option while also punching. I don't get why driving is naturally on A/X. That is just weird considering the 360 doesn't have analog buttons.

Aaron

Apr 12, 2006
www.the-nextlevel.com
Linkzg said:
The aiming and melee seems better than the first game. The ability to aim over the shoulder is great and it seems like kicks are better linked into a combo instead of being another option while also punching. I don't get why driving is naturally on A/X. That is just weird considering the 360 doesn't have analog buttons.
The new Red Faction does this too. It's like a requirement for open world games or something, but it plain sucks on the 360 controller. Crackdown did it right.