• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
1-1.jpg

Game Title: Saints Row

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 23, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 23, 2022)
  • PC (Aug 23, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Aug 23, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 23, 2022)
Trailers:

Publisher: Deep Silver

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 65 average - 46% recommended - 42 reviews

NhzyxAB.jpg

Metacritic - 67/100 average

748rfSQ.jpg

Critic Reviews
But Why Tho? - Arron Kluz - 6 / 10
While there are definitely elements of Saints Row that really annoyed me, I still generally had a good time with the game. If you consider yourself a Saints Row fan you’ll probably find plenty to enjoy in the newest entry, even if some of its elements are weaker than others. If you were hoping for a major new take on the series or what it could be, however, you’ll be left sorely wanting.
Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 6 / 10
The Saints Row reboot wants to tell a new, modern story, but the gameplay framework surrounding it is starting to show a bit of rust.
Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3 / 5
Saints Row is a perfectly fine open-world game. Just don't expect any surprises, as the reboot lacks much character.
GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 6 / 10
I have a lot of love for this new reboot of Saints Row, and I have high hopes they will put it right with bug fixes. When they do, I hope to come back and amend this review and make it a glowing one. Until then, I have to caution you to hold off on spending your money, but hopefully not for too long.
Gameblog - French - 5 / 10
Saints Row had a unique opportunity to come back and be a good summer game. Most of the time, its fun, especially in co-op, thanks to his arcade feel and humour But there are too many flaws and way too many bugs to enjoy the title completely. Maybe some updates could fix things but not entirely.
Gamepur - Ricky Frech - 9 / 10
To be clear, this is the Saints Row game you know and love (or hate). Sure, they’ve slapped a new city and introduced a new set of characters into the formula, but everything is rooted in that purple-tinted glow.
GamesFinest - Jennifer Engelhardt - German - 6 / 10
Where for years one superlative followed the next, where exaggeration had to serve as a leitmotif instead of a stylistic device, where blunt self-indulgence justified an entire franchise, developer Volition now courageously trades its unique selling proposition for... well, for what, actually? Apparently against an unjustified shitstorm, an angry crowd of fans and yes, a successful new beginning. Saints Row shows itself to be much more grounded, more tangible and just in this way can make use of a modern interpretation of "exaggeration". According to the motto: back to accessibility, back to the mass market. A return that the franchise unmistakably needed more than badly. Admittedly, Volition has definitely put the game in reverse gear a bit too ambitiously. Where the tone of the game is clearly more modern, entire gameplay elements as well as the visual design seem completely out of time. A trivial skill system, a lifeless game world, flippant gunplay all seem out of place in 2022, but also undeniably bring those glorious oldschool vibes. Saints Row is still full of absurdities that are unparalleled, but is discrepantly wonderfully unexciting in terms of gameplay. If Volition could now bring the technical shortcomings into the modern age, I would completely agree with the US studio when they say: As soon as a franchise can't take any more superlatives, you just have to go back to the beginning.
GamingINTEL - Maxwell Jeffery - 7.5 / 10
Saints Row offers players a welcome return to a familiar franchise but fails to push the boat out. There's plenty to enjoy for new and returning fans but in dialing back the wackiness, the franchise might have lost its greatest strength.
God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 6 / 10
You could consider Saints Row a love letter to a time when games worried less over quality and more about fun, but that doesn't excuse its faults.
One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Saints Row doesn’t exactly add anything new to the franchise, taking a back-to-basics approach and reliving what made Saints Row 3 a fantastic title by building up on that. While the reboot makes it cater to certain sensibilities, the new direction will not be for everyone. Hopefully, it won’t deter you from having a good time.
The series fanbase will either love or hate the game because of this sharp change in direction, which is especially felt in the new cast of characters and the writing. Should you choose to overlook these, you can expect a lot of mindless and unapologetic fun for hours.
Saints Row is not a perfect game, but the components that make it a good game are polished enough. The visuals and presentation could’ve used a bit of work, but Saints Row delivers on an open world front that is fun and entertaining despite the tired formula that could use a fresher take next time.
Press Start - Toby Berger - 7 / 10
The new Saints Row doesn't break any new ground, however it's still a relatively fun time. If you're a fan of the series, there's no reason not to give this one a spin.
SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 7 / 10
Saints Row offers a decent reboot of the franchise, although the production costs don't go up to the level of GTA. The focus on fun, action and variety of activities is strong. The co-op helps the fun even more.
Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 4 / 5
Other than a few hiccups I’ve encountered, I am loving my time in the game. Even if the car physics aren’t the best, they are nowhere near unmanageable. Flying around the world in helicopters, drifting cars, and weaving in between traffic is just as satisfying as ever. Gunplay is tight, and if you’re the type to pull the aim trigger and have it lock on, you’re going to love the way this plays too. The writing is corny, but in the right kind of corny, I can respect. Doing all there is to do in Santo Ileso will keep me hopping back into this world more and more. Now excuse me as I wrap this big ass gold chain around my neck and get back to my criminal empire. The Saints are back, baby.
The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 9 / 10
Deep Silver Volition took a bold step in setting Saints Row around a whole new crew, and it absolutely paid off. Featuring a cast of interesting and entertaining characters, this narrative reverts back to the more serious nature of Saints Row 1 & 2. Add to this some really slick combat and driving mechanics, as well as a world filled to the brim with fun side quests and areas to explore, and you have an absolutely stellar entry into the Saints Row series!
We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 3 / 5
Quote - Saints Row is ready and willing to leap back into the mainstream, though it's unfortunately weighed down by a few odd design decisions and a handful of technical issues
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.3 / 10
Saints Row is a big, over-the-top, extremely fun game and if they can sort out the bugginess quickly it’s an easy one to recommend.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So once again it seems a game that was once known for being edgy, vulgar, and having over the top characters which made it fun is now trying to relate to a new crowd by calling it a "reboot" yet they forgot to actually improve on anything when it came to gameplay and now the whole game sucks ass for it.

Top Bottom