• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Review Thread

+PS5 Adaptive triggers – we have made the decision to disable these whilst we fix the inverted axis issue when toggling “resistance”, we fully intend to get this back in, stay tuned for updates on it.

lol what a shitshow.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Bridges

I wonder what happens to Volition after this.

Their last game, Agents of Mayhem, is regularly on sale for $2 or less and was universally panned. SR4 and Gat Out of Hell before that didn't exactly set the world on fire either, makes you think about how many back-to-back duds a studio of this scale can survive.

Their last game, Agents of Mayhem, is regularly on sale for $2 or less and was universally panned. SR4 and Gat Out of Hell before that didn't exactly set the world on fire either, makes you think about how many back-to-back duds a studio of this scale can survive.
agents of mayhem is as boring and bland as everyone said it was too. thats why i tend to believe these current Saints Row reviews. Its a shame because Agents of Mayhem almost had an idea. With the unique characters with unique weapons and ablities u can level up. And each character has a mission to unlock them. but the completely lifeless mundane world and the god awful mission structure of that game killed any fun you were having.

Mossybrew

Ive been having fun with the game, in fact I quite like it. Does it advance the open world genre at all? Nope. Is it a polished AAA experience? Nope. Does it have too many bugs and probably needed another six months in the oven? Yep.

Doesnt change the fact that its fun, and a great co op playground. Its basic comfort food gaming if you like this style of game. I really dig the desert vibe and aesthetic of the environment. Car handling is over the top and ridiculous. Shooting is, fine? Enemies are spongy enough to motivate you to get better weapons and upgrade. Seems to be a lot of perks you can find to customize your combat loadout. Of course customization everywhere, which is my jam. And theres just a lot to do here.

I am definitely looking forward to more patches to address bugs, tho so far Ive only encountered two that made me reload a mission checkpoint. But honestly I dont regret this purchase at all.

small_law

I'll stand up for SR4. I got to echo the classic giant bomb lineup and say that it was a better crackdown than crackdown 2. He just hit the right notes for me, especially given what I was looking for after finishing the third game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone who wants to still play through, I'd recommend getting the story missions done as soon as possible.

Not really a spoiler, but you don't unlock the fastest flying vehicle until you beat the story. Using that, you can mop up the ventures and side hustles on the map in lightning fast time.

RavageX

Anyone who wants to still play through, I'd recommend getting the story missions done as soon as possible.

Not really a spoiler, but you don't unlock the fastest flying vehicle until you beat the story. Using that, you can mop up the ventures and side hustles on the map in lightning fast time.
Shouldn't the side hustles and ventures compliment the story part of the game?

Whats the point of the side stuff after the story is beaten?

Not being funny or anything, i know some games have missions/side stuff that opens up after beating the story, but I cant imagine this being one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shouldn't the side hustles and ventures compliment the story part of the game?

Whats the point of the side stuff after the story is beaten?

Not being funny or anything, i know some games have missions/side stuff that opens up after beating the story, but I cant imagine this being one.

The side hustles in the game are very menial tasks and their main purpose is to get money and xp, they don't really have any notable story to them per say.

You will, however, need a lot of money at the end of the story for the final stuff to get the 'true' ending. And you can either do those things with the slow ass cars or somewhat faster when you start unlocking choppers, or do the story and first ending and unlock the VTol and then just zip through the games map quicker.

Basically once you beat the story, you get one final mission to accumulate a couple of million dollars to do one last thing before the story fully ends.

Last edited:

DilWSTS

I mean yes its not better than 2 in my opinion but it largely exceeds in making me laugh and let me do ridiculous things in coop which is my main ask

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'm almost done with the story. I was having fun until I have to complete 2 business ventures? I did 2 insurance fraud but it's not enough. I think they want me to do all of them? I don't like all this busy work 😒

disgusted drake and josh GIF

Unless this game somehow is a big success, I don't see Volition staying around too much longer, which is unfortunate, because they were pretty consistent for a good 10 years or so.

It would be nice if they finally made a proper follow up to Red Faction Guerilla, but I don't see it happening.

EDMIX

Volition after this...

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

giphy.gif

lol

Game was number for some time on Amazon for pre-orders and yet people kept making it sound like we all should be worried or something. I think its fine to rate a game and give a view on what they should do next or something, but at the very least lets take a step back and objectively look at this too man. Some of you live in this bubble where you think being upset or crying over this or even COD, MUST mean it will flop or something, I remember reading that weird shit when one of their trailers got downvotes and was like "we using fucking youtube votes as a metric now"? lol Released, move massive numbers...they lived. I'm sure this team will be just fine.

Last edited:

Nothing, game is selling like Pokemon.

Volition after this...

giphy.gif

lol

Game was number for some time on Amazon for pre-orders and yet people kept making it sound like we all should be worried or something. I think its fine to rate a game and give a view on what they should do next or something, but at the very least lets take a step back and objectively look at this too man. Some of you live in this bubble where you think being upset or crying over this or even COD, MUST mean it will flop or something, I remember reading that weird shit when one of their trailers got downvotes and was like "we using fucking youtube votes as a metric now"? lol Released, move massive numbers...they lived. I'm sure this team will be just fine.
The game has been out for a week. While it's doing well now, first week sales doesn't equal a resounding success. The IP alone is enough to give the game a solid first month or so.

I hope you're right and Volition is around for years to come, a modern Red Faction with more detailed destruction physics could be amazing.

Volition after this...

giphy.gif

lol

Didn’t you spend months defending Battlefield 2042? I think the only bubble you live in is the one you concocted for yourself.

EDMIX

The game has been out for a week. While it's doing well now, first week sales doesn't equal a resounding success. The IP alone is enough to give the game a solid first month or so.

I hope you're right and Volition is around for years to come, a modern Red Faction with more detailed destruction physics could be amazing.

First off, most of a games sales will be in those first opening weeks, especially with titles like this...I'm sure the publisher understands that and they are probably ok with all this lol

Second off, no fucking IP will just move sales regardless outside of a very small handful and Saint's Row isn't it lol Pokemon, Call Of Duty, Mario etc move units off of IP, they have deep names, Saints Row simply isn't one of those IP selling off of name alone, nothing else factoring or something.

Someone wanted the game, they bought it.... thats it. I see nothing to worry about, I saw this game charting on pre-orders for a while and figure most don't care about what we talk about on here, lots of times what we say rarely even ends up happening and gamers seem to exaggerate like...a fuck ton. Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and Call Of Duty should have been dead generations ago lol This is where I feel gamers need to take a step back, there is not liking a game personally, you are allowed to feel that way and then there is the objective, factual reality of what it sold.

That will be what determines its success to the publisher. We've seen games get made that barely chart and still turn a profit, make sequels etc. I think this is great for a IP like this, they hit their target on the core idea of chaos and open world craziness and I think the sales reflect a lot of that as maybe the people who just want that zany, crazy, open world madness are also not the ones caring about story or what the last game did or any of those details. That market might not care about any of that and just want a sandbox to play in. We've see some wild flops, I don't see that this is one of em, simply that its different from those who like the last titles in this IP, but someone could have said that about AC Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla etc ie, they don't like the open world RPG AC's, but a new market does. Thus, the things they are saying make them flops to THEM, are not to those who like the new RPG light open world things.

So maybe this game is getting a new market, maybe they just want that core crazy idea. I would have even liked if they targeted that AA market even harder with a lower price point to gain more volume. So you'll still see that team around and who knows how much of the next Saint's Row title they make will have the elements of this game.

Bridges

I stand totally corrected. Apparently the game is a commercial success, good for them.

Maybe their next project will be more interesting and polished.

I wasn't going to buy the game because I thought it was going to be too "woke" etc also not loving the location they chose because I generally find desert settings visually boring, but I ended up letting nostalgia take me over and bought the game anyway and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's not GOTY material not even close and honestly it probably should be a $40-$50 game based on its production values but it is fun, it's not overly woke they are just trying too hard to appeal to people of a certain age. Getting around that though it's still got some funny moments, I'm only about 38% done but I haven't seen any of the other the top stuff that the series later games had like dildo bats etc and that's a good thing. I do wish they had kept running and jumping attacks in the game (I think the older ones had jumping attacks, if not they should have lol) but overall, the gameplay feels fine.

Ywap

Have anyone tried the game after the new patch 1.06?

If so, what state is the game in now in terms of bugs?

Last edited:

Mossybrew

They fixed two blatantly broken quests, so good to see they are focusing on the big stuff first. Also a bunch of little stuff like your car door hurting you when you get out.

Last edited:
Finished the game yesterday.

The "story" is complete garbage. On the other hand, the story from Saint Row 3 is Oscar-worthy.

On the PS5 I never had a game that crashed so many times like this turd.

For the people who smashed this game because It's woke, this is the smallest problem of the game.

Also the length of the main missions is a joke.

Let's finish the statement that the people who are responsible for the audio should be fired asap. I never experienced such shitty audio mixing like in this game.

It's like your characters always speaks at 100 volume and the side characters are at 50 volume even If they are sitting next to in the car.

Let's not even talk about the physics in the game.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

JayK47

Finished the game yesterday.

The "story" is complete garbage. On the other hand, the story from Saint Row 3 is Oscar-worthy.

On the PS5 I never had a game that crashed so many times like this turd.

For the people who smashed this game because It's woke, this is the smallest problem of the game.

Also the length of the main missions is a joke.

Let's finish the statement that the people who are responsible for the audio should be fired asap. I never experienced such shitty audio mixing like in this game.

It's like your characters always speaks at 100 volume and the side characters are at 50 volume even If they are sitting next to in the car.

Let's not even talk about the physics in the game.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Sounds like it was made by the interns.

winjer

AMD FSR 2.1 Was Added to Saints Row with PC Specific Patch​

Adds AMD FSR 2.1, which uses temporal upscaling to boost performance
Changed resolution options in Windowed Borderless mode to be consistent with Fullscreen and Windowed modes. Also added support for alternative aspect ratios.
Disable Idols combat blacklight stun effect when High Contrast mode is enabled.
Fixed issue involving interactions between characters/vehicles and foliage when running on certain graphics card/driver combinations.

Durien

Yeah, I play it on the PS5 and it really feels like a barely ps4 game. I haven't seen as many crashes lately but balance is way off lol. Once you buy the RPG, clearing out the gang spots are super easy. The video is really junky at times but some of the side missions are pretty fun.

Yesterday I hot a bug where my map to choose where to place a venture in the church was gone. Exiting and re-entering the map screen did not reset it so I just had to mouse over the circles to figure out where to place something

Top Bottom