• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

I will preface this by saying I am a humongous GTA fan, so much so I am taking several days off work for the launch. But, a while back, I saw the trailer for this game. It looked straight up bananas, and I knew I wanted to play it. Then SR 2 & 3 were given away for free on PS Plus. It was like a sign, telling me that I needed to play these games. Finding out the release date was about a month before GTAV made it seem so perfect. I decided I just *had* to play through the SR games, as GTAV will consume my very soul when it’s released, making me ignore all my other games.

SR2 started out ok, I didn’t really start to enjoy it until a few hours in. But then I just lost myself in it, I was surprised at how much fun I was having while playing it. In the interest of time, because I have very limited game time available, I started to cheat halfway through it just to plow through the story. Not very honorable, no, but all I wanted was the story.. Before cheats, I was having a blast. With cheats, it was way more fun for a bit, but then the overpowering sense of gdlke-ness brought it down some. And since SR2 doesn’t have trophies for PS3, I didn’t regret my actions in the least. Once I beat SR2, I immediately fired up SR3.

SR3 time. No cheats this go around. I wanted the real experience,
and dem trophies! :D
but again aiming for short completion time so I could hop in SR4 when it was released. As much as I tried focusing on the story missions, I always found myself getting diverted to the side activities. To make money, sure, but they were so great! I would find myself just trying to find and beat them when I knew that was not my goal. The technical and gameplay improvements over SR2 really blew me away. Heck the cloth and hair alone were stunning improvements. The enhancements you could get were great, almost made you feel like cheating, but then not really. Once I got SRIV at launch, and I still hadn’t beaten 3, I did a marathon session on my next off day and finished 3 (after about 6 hours), then I stopped playing after I got about 2 hours into IV.

SRIV – Aahhh, this is what it has all been for. Got the Wub Wub edition, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Just getting in to the game, customizing a few cars with meager scraps of cache, doing a few things here and there…then boom. Got my powers. Cars? Who needs those…antiques any more?!? The only time I drove from there on was during required missions. Despite all the time I spent in SR3, this still felt fresh, fun, and inviting. Always calling me back for more. Super sprinting, jumping, gliding, all felt so amazing. I beat the game last night, and man what a wild ride indeed. I truly enjoyed how the story was told, and how everything was weaved together over the games. I’ve collected 800-900 pickups, and I never felt bored. Got at least silver on all the challenges. So much about this game has improved over SR3. I will say, certain gameplay elements do fall behind because of your powers, but to me that’s not a big problem. This game was amazing, through and through, it constantly had me amazed, saying, “wow”.
From the Virus missions where everything is hilariously glitching out, to the stunning beat ‘em up segment, and more. That side scrolling part plays better than some other 2d side scrolling games I have played! They captured not only the look, but the feel and the sounds so perfectly. I shed many tears of nostalgia at that part. Elements, story bits, and gameplay sessions from previous games were also amazing. Being able to see those in a different light, a different scenario, a different setting was superb.

I couldn’t be more thankful of my time with SR. I never imagined the games would grab me like they did. Being able to see the games mature, along with the devs, was a beautiful sight, because so many things improved over the years, and not once did I say to myself “wtf were they thinking?”. With GTA being released in a few days, and my goal has been achieved, 3 SR games in 3 months, I feel very accomplished. But what I like more, is that despite how much I will play GTA, I feel I will always come back to Digital and Analog Steelport. Especially digital, because having super powers in a SR feels so right :D I am likely to let some friends borrow SRIV while I get over the initial GTA craze, because more people need to play this game. Even as a standalone, it’s joy no matter what. I haven’t played The Last of Us, or Bioshock Infinite, but this is one of my favorite games this year no doubt. A true masterpiece, and I will forever be supporter of Volition’s future efforts with SR, and other projects.
/endramble.

I will preface this by saying I am a humongous GTA fan, so much so I am taking several days off work for the launch. But, a while back, I saw the trailer for this game. It looked straight up bananas, and I knew I wanted to play it. Then SR 2 & 3 were given away for free on PS Plus. It was like a sign, telling me that I needed to play these games. Finding out the release date was about a month before GTAV made it seem so perfect. I decided I just *had* to play through the SR games, as GTAV will consume my very soul when it’s released, making me ignore all my other games.

SR2 started out ok, I didn’t really start to enjoy it until a few hours in. But then I just lost myself in it, I was surprised at how much fun I was having while playing it. In the interest of time, because I have very limited game time available, I started to cheat halfway through it just to plow through the story. Not very honorable, no, but all I wanted was the story.. Before cheats, I was having a blast. With cheats, it was way more fun for a bit, but then the overpowering sense of gdlke-ness brought it down some. And since SR2 doesn’t have trophies for PS3, I didn’t regret my actions in the least. Once I beat SR2, I immediately fired up SR3.

but again aiming for short completion time so I could hop in SR4 when it was released. As much as I tried focusing on the story missions, I always found myself getting diverted to the side activities. To make money, sure, but they were so great! I would find myself just trying to find and beat them when I knew that was not my goal. The technical and gameplay improvements over SR2 really blew me away. Heck the cloth and hair alone were stunning improvements. The enhancements you could get were great, almost made you feel like cheating, but then not really. Once I got SRIV at launch, and I still hadn’t beaten 3, I did a marathon session on my next off day and finished 3 (after about 6 hours), then I stopped playing after I got about 2 hours into IV.

SRIV – Aahhh, this is what it has all been for. Got the Wub Wub edition, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Just getting in to the game, customizing a few cars with meager scraps of cache, doing a few things here and there…then boom. Got my powers. Cars? Who needs those…antiques any more?!? The only time I drove from there on was during required missions. Despite all the time I spent in SR3, this still felt fresh, fun, and inviting. Always calling me back for more. Super sprinting, jumping, gliding, all felt so amazing. I beat the game last night, and man what a wild ride indeed. I truly enjoyed how the story was told, and how everything was weaved together over the games. I’ve collected 800-900 pickups, and I never felt bored. Got at least silver on all the challenges. So much about this game has improved over SR3. I will say, certain gameplay elements do fall behind because of your powers, but to me that’s not a big problem. This game was amazing, through and through, it constantly had me amazed, saying, “wow”.
From the Virus missions where everything is hilariously glitching out, to the stunning beat ‘em up segment, and more. That side scrolling part plays better than some other 2d side scrolling games I have played! They captured not only the look, but the feel and the sounds so perfectly. I shed many tears of nostalgia at that part. Elements, story bits, and gameplay sessions from previous games were also amazing. Being able to see those in a different light, a different scenario, a different setting was superb.

I couldn’t be more thankful of my time with SR. I never imagined the games would grab me like they did. Being able to see the games mature, along with the devs, was a beautiful sight, because so many things improved over the years, and not once did I say to myself “wtf were they thinking?”. With GTA being released in a few days, and my goal has been achieved, 3 SR games in 3 months, I feel very accomplished. But what I like more, is that despite how much I will play GTA, I feel I will always come back to Digital and Analog Steelport. Especially digital, because having super powers in a SR feels so right :D I am likely to let some friends borrow SRIV while I get over the initial GTA craze, because more people need to play this game. Even as a standalone, it’s joy no matter what. I haven’t played The Last of Us, or Bioshock Infinite, but this is one of my favorite games this year no doubt. A true masterpiece, and I will forever be supporter of Volition’s future efforts with SR, and other projects.
/endramble.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I had the same experience with the series and I cant wait to see what Volition brings in the future to the table.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I had the same experience with the series and I cant wait to see what Volition brings in the future to the table.
Haha thank you. It was a very magical experience, glad I could finally join in on what I had been missing out on for so long.

Who knows, maybe Red Faction will blend with Saints Row in some manner? Hopefully all they will take is the GeoMod 2.0, bring back 1.0 while they are at it.

Saints Faction, anyone? Sounds better than Red Row..

Fitz

New patch just came out, mostly small bug fixes, however:
- Added a toggle in the menu for allow weapon swapping not to bring up the weapon swap screen. When enabled, this stops the full screen menu from popping up during weapon swap

edit: just trying it out and they seem to have implemented it perfectly. If you leave it on, you still have the option of pausing whilst swapping using the scroll wheel, however using the numbers no longer brings up the menu.

Apdiddy

I don't know if it was mentioned previously but...

Did anyone catch the bit of text during the game that said "Dead Island X Saints Row - 2015"? I know that it may be a joke, but....it made me hope this isn't a joke.

Scirrocco

So I finally got a chance to sit down and play, and pretty much finished it in two days. Its apparent the series is moving farther and farther away from its roots, and while i'm not sure I'm completely happy with that, they've still got my attention.

I've been a fan of the series since Saints Row 2, and loved how it was just a thin veneer of reality over a crazy world, but that veneer grounded it, and added a lot. But while it may have lost some of its edge, its still amazingly funny. I must have laughed for a full minute the first time I tried to 'romance' kinzie. It was just so quick you hardly had time to register before it was over. Especially if you were expecting a Bioware style romance, with lots of dialogue. Just perfectly done.

The super powers were nice as a change of pace, and it was nice to be different for a bit, but towards the end i ened up getting nostalgic, and ended up using guns more and even cars. Honestly a full pimped out Atrazione or temptress gets you around almost as fast as super powers. If they're removed or DE-emphasized in the next game, i won't really miss them.

The game definitely shows some corner cutting, with its massive re-use and padding, but the original content is some of the most damn memorable gameplay in years.

I don't think i've seen a game try anything like Saints of Rage. It was just amazing how they used your own character, instead of a pre-generated one. I was using the Uncle Sam costume at the time, and it was just amazing seeing my red white and blue president kick ass alongside Johnny Gat. Running around in Matt Millars Nyteblade fan fiction.

if they go in one of the directions suggested by the ending, it'll basically be a completely different series then it started out as. But i'm not sure it'll be a bad place. Especially how well the game turned out, considering how much trouble they had, with the bankruptcy and basically upgrading it from an expansion to a full out game.

Oh, and heres my character since saints row 2, cockney Bruce Lee

OfGDIsZ.png

It seemed especially appropriate considering the super powers. I heard he jumped ot the moon once.

Now i want to do a play through as Dr. McNinja

I don't know if it was mentioned previously but...

Did anyone catch the bit of text during the game that said "Dead Island X Saints Row - 2015"? I know that it may be a joke, but....it made me hope this isn't a joke.

Where was that? I didn't catch it at all.

DLC Maybe? But two years for DLC is kind of a lot.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just Finished Saint's Row IV and, while the journey to here was amazing, there's nothing else left for me to do in the game, pretty much how I felt like at the end of Saint's Row The Third.

I already finished all the side quests, it's hard for me to find big concentration of enemies (so I can finish some extra side quests), and most of the unfinished side missions are "get gold on these events", which I don't want to do, because most events are boring (I only got Bronze/Silver in a couple of them and didn't bother to re-do them).

Game dries up pretty quickly in the end. Still, what an amazing game.

Let the DLC come (so I have something else to do).

Ploid 3.0

I will preface this by saying I am a humongous GTA fan, so much so I am taking several days off work for the launch. But, a while back, I saw the trailer for this game. - (Cut for space)

Yeah man, it seem like the SR franchise showed up at the right time for me too. I was there at SR2 well after it launched and their "Would You Rather" commercials perked my interests. Since then I have had a ball with this franchise. It also taught me that if I had a favorite genre that I should be happy if more games are made in it, no matter what. If my favorite game in said genre slips up I'll have something to take it's place. I'm now looking forward to whatever Volition do with SR next, If they continue it.

GamerSoul

/endramble.

amen to that. Glad you gave the series a try.

Patch notes:

A Saints Row IV Update has been released.
Community Announcements - DanMan
[BUGS]

- Fix for the Rectifier and Penetrator Upgrade/Customization Screen freezes
- Fix for double Dubstep Gun being available to certain players after the last patch
- Fix for “Inauguration Station” .exe name
- Fix for keyboard/mouse tutorial messages when using sprint toggle
- Fix for radio key mapping not working as intended
- Fix for key mapping of “ 1 “ and “ 2 “ for weapon swap
- Fix for wall sprint functionality sticking when using sprint toggle
- (AMD Eyefinity users) Fix for 21:9 resolution monitors to display UI correctly
- Fix for hangs relating to DRM checks
- Fix for missing Polish string translation (defaults to English if string is missing)
- Fix for extra UI elements appearing in certain Mayhem activities

[ UPDATES]

- Added support for future DLC
- Added crash reporting support, this will help to pinpoint crash issues
- Added a toggle in the menu for allow weapon swapping not to bring up the weapon swap screen. When enabled, this stops the full screen menu from popping up during weapon swap
- Added transparency to the weapon radial under certain conditions

NeonZ

I'm disappointed by the amount of outfits in SR4 compared to SR3... Considering how they didn't change the character customization system at all, I expected more new items.

I guess they did this in order to sell more DLC content, considering how there are already several costume packs, considering how there are already several dlc costume packs...

Effect

Does all of the game take place within the virtual Steelport? Making it pretty much all combat and you not able to drive around the city and do various activities like in the past game?

So if one wanted to do stuff like that they're better of going to Saints Row The Third or GTA V right?

Does all of the game take place within the virtual Steelport? Making it pretty much all combat and you not able to drive around the city and do various activities like in the past game?

So if one wanted to do stuff like that they're better of going to Saints Row The Third or GTA V right?

you can still drive and do activities in the virtual city. The real world is only used for story missions.

The FPS mod is looking cool.
Does anyone have any tips on getting gold for super powered fight club and Genki's M.O.M?
Also, how does the co-op work, does the cutscenes just ignore the joining player, and can they do stuff like earn cache and buy clothes and powers in the host's game if both people are starting from a new game?

Aske

The FPS mod is looking cool.
Does anyone have any tips on getting gold for super powered fight club and Genki's M.O.M?

Super power Fight Club is pretty easy: just rely on Freeze blast/shatter, and one hit sprint grapple kills.

Genki's MOM is tough. Just keep at it. Watch a YT video for time saving tips. Use yo-yo TK: toss object through target; recover it with TK to use again, just like the metal spheres in TK Mayhem. Don't stand around to see if your long distance throws are good, and try to bring a Genki head with you to the next area so you can go straight for the first target.

I just beat this. Is Saints Row 3 worth playing after this or will I be let down?

If you want a more traditional open world game featuring the same characters, give it a shot. Combat is less good, but the gameplay is entirely different. It's like comparing Prototype to GTA. I think the two games compliment each other well.

So the DLC for this comes out today! I downloaded a 600MB patch on Steam yesterday which I can only assume was the DLC and I guess it will come out with the store update later :D

bro1

Banned
Am I the only one who finds that guns are worthless? I am constantly either using my fists or just running and using the wrestling moves.

So the DLC for this comes out today! I downloaded a 600MB patch on Steam yesterday which I can only assume was the DLC and I guess it will come out with the store update later :D

Unfortunately, the consoles will get it today, but the official Saints Row twitter replied to someone asking about the PC version and said it won't be out until 2:00 A.M. Pacific time on the 23rd.

Hopefully something changes though. I would love to play this tonight!

Lunzio

Would really appreciate a small review from those who have played it!

I've heard that there are about 4-5 quality laughs, but I really enjoyed SR4, so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Bombless

Well I've finished it and it was incredibly short. Funny most of the time, but it's pretty much on rails. Also being max level there was 0 challenge in this.

bengraven

I can't wait for them to release modding tools.

I know it's sad, but I really want to play SRIV in Liberty City (GTAIII LC).

SR4 was playable just fine on console, but it was one of the ugliest ports I've ever seen, so I'm holding off on paying any more money for this until I can get some kind of complete edition on PC and then fiddle with mods. I really enjoyed SR3 but the DLC was horrendous for the most part, and this isn't sounding thrilling so far.

Aske

Well I've finished it and it was incredibly short. Funny most of the time, but it's pretty much on rails. Also being max level there was 0 challenge in this.

Pretty much. I enjoyed it a good deal for what it was, and for $5 (half of the $10 season pass) it was solid. Very short, very shallow in terms of gameplay; but a fun idea with the whole 'behind the scenes' angle. Get it for the laughs, not the gameplay.

Better than SR3's Saints in Space DLC, but less good than The Trouble With Clones.

GamerSoul

That first person mod looks amazing. I wish I had a good pc. Lol. It might be a little difficult when running and using powers though.

KingKong

I'm definitely enjoying the game (especially for 15 bucks) but it's disappointing that almost all the side missions and like half the main missions are just activities like in SR3

The super speed and super jump are fun but seemingly not really used for anything in the game other than getting around and collecting the orbs. I think it was Jeff Gerstmann that said this game didn't need to be open world and I agree, if instead of main missions, side missions/activities and all the open world stuff they just had twice as many main missions, I would prefer that

I'd agree with that. I ended up enjoying 3 and 4 in different ways, but really 4's missions were the best part of the last two games for me. Many missions use the superpowers in challenging ways, or abandon them altogether for more balance and variety. The open world portion is basically a freeform activity in and of itself, with really nice feeling traversal, but the challenge and depth just wasn't there.

KingKong

This game's AI is pretty poor. Practically every boss has gotten stuck in some spot and let me stand there and shoot them to death

Top Bottom