• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Digital Foundry Review - Impressive Reboot Blighted By Tech Issues

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PS5 | SX:
There are five different graphics modes - two at 1080p, two at 1440p and one at 4K - plus toggles for ray-traced ambient occlusion (RTAO) on the high quality 1080p and 1440p modes.
Ray-traced ambient occlusion is a superb extra that adds more realistic shading
NPCs with low frame-rate animation at range that unfortunately stick out like a sore thumb on PS5 and Series X
We noted no visual differences between PS5 and Series X in terms of settings or resolution

1080p Mode:
Kicking off with the 1080p options, there are three ways to play: 1080p max FPS, 1080p ultra, and 1080p ultra with RTAO. If 60fps is your priority these are really the modes to look at, especially if you don't have a VRR-capable TV or monitor.
the 1080p ultra mode with RTAO still hangs between 40 to 60fps in big missions. It's variable, and the minimum frame-rate climbs to ~50fps by switching off RTAO altogether
So assuming you don't have access to VRR, 1080p max FPS is the closest to delivering a locked 60fps
The bigger issue is that 1080p just doesn't look great compared to the higher resolution modes when scaled to a 4K set

1440p Mode:
At 1440p, you also three settings options: 1440p high FPS mode, 1440p high quality mode and 1440p high quality with RTAO
The performance-focused high FPS mode does sacrifice geometry and distant grass detail to better salvage 60fps. Drops to 50fps are still possible, but this 1440p high FPS can work beautifully with a VRR display
The other modes operate at too low a frame-rate to recommend, meanwhile, dropping below the 48fps threshold required for the PS5's VRR support

2160p Mode:
You can opt for a native 4K, 3840x2160, but this comes at the cost to other visual settings with drops to shadow quality, world draw and foliage density. Despite this, frame-rates are all over the shop, even dropping below 30fps in an early cutscene. Again, a 30fps cap would be a big benefit for the majority of scenes that can manage 30fps in this mode.

Performance:
Performance between PS5 and Series X is interesting too - in 1440p high quality with RTAO, there is a consistent 3-6fps advantage for PS5, with a higher differential in dense grassy areas and a lower differential during (more CPU-dependent) rapid driving scenarios. In the 4K mode, the Series X performs better than PS5, but the circa 1fps difference is academic. Either way the recommended way to play on Series X and PS5 is the 1440p high FPS mode, for the best balance of performance and visuals.

Series S:
Series S has no settings to change at all.
the junior Xbox console appears to run closest to Series X's 1080p max FPS mode: native 1080p without RTAO
Series S still runs typically between 40-50fps in most areas, and even below that in big missions. I've seen interior areas strike a full 60fps

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They added 5 modes and 7 permutations and none of them, barring the 1080p, provide a 100% locked experience. Should have done more optimization and less toggles here IMO.

edit: 1440+ Quality seems to drop way below the VRR range, 1440+ FPS It is.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I can't believe they are putting out the game in this state. Better get that VRR ready if you plan on playing this game. Strong showing for PS5, this engine seems to like that higher frequency gpu. Xbox will benefit with a larger VRR window if your tv is compatible. What were they thinking with the 4k at 30-40 fps mode?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Runs like shit. All those toggles and they forgot to do a 30fps toggle in the 4k mode?

Not sure if it's the capture or Tom being blind again, but right when he says there's no visual difference he shows a visual difference. Looks darker on the shadowed cliff on Xbox (weirdly, only in parts) with a soupier floor.

clampzyn

Runs like shit. All those toggles and they forgot to do a 30fps toggle in the 4k mode?

Not sure if it's the capture or Tom being blind again, but right when he says there's no visual difference he shows a visual difference. Looks darker on the shadowed cliff on Xbox (weirdly, only in parts) with a soupier floor.

Yea LOL, after I saw Thom was making the tech analysis I was already having a lot of doubts that he'll miss a lot of stuff.

Mr Moose

Yea LOL, after I saw Thom was making the tech analysis I was already having a lot of doubts that he'll miss a lot of stuff.
Haven't trusted his blind ass since his Genshin/Fifa videos.
He said Genshin PS5 was the same as PS4 (Pro) while showing higher quality character textures on the PS5, and Fifa on Series S was 4k (I think it was him).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

We should really crowd fund glasses for this fella.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really REALLY hate graphical modes on consoles. Make 1 mode intended to play !!! Then add vrr cap unlock so next consoles can benefit. done.... or make fidelity and performance modes and offer vrr unlock for both.... but 5...7... modes? CMON if I wanted settings, I would play on a pc.
Having to watch a DF video to be able to decide and see what each mode does is stupid ass.
It is not possible to make a graphical mode choice witout fps counter and other data. This is a console not a pc damn it

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do you want to play shit graphics or shit performance is not a choice ffs!
It's not a pc. Make 1 game ffs.
Or ONLY include modes that are perfect and viable. Exactly like Uncharted 4 remaster did. All modes are good and there are 3 of them.
Or like tlou part 1 will do. 2 modes and both with vrr unlock.

10 modes is terrible death of console gaming and an ILLUSION OF BAD CHOICES (i AM SO ANGRY)

Last edited:

fatmarco

Again, amazing how Volition were, at one point, technology geniuses.

The brain drain at that company over the past decade must have been ridiculous for it to end up like this.

The fact that they haven't built a new engine or substantially improved engine over a decade after Saints Row 3 just shows the state of the company.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Impressive Reboot
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Stuart360

There are 3 1080p modes. 2 are locked to 60fps.They did 1080p max fps, 1080p ultra, and 1080p ultra RTAO.
They are not locked. Even the 'max framerate' 1080p mode drops under 60fps. Honestly watch the video again.

Jesus how bad must the XB1 and PS4 version be.

Last edited:

Three

They are not locked. Even the 'max framerate' 1080p mode drops under 60fps. Honestly watch the video again.

Jesus how bad must the XB1 and PS4 version be.
Maybe I missed it somehow, can you timestamp it? I was under the impression 1080p max fps was locked.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Might be something nice hidden under all these silly modes and the sloppy frame rate. and 1080p?.. yeah.. nah.

Pitty.

YCoCg

Can someone tell me what DF thought was so "impressive" about this? Thanks.
The physics in the open world, he admits he likes driving round causing chaos so on the small basis of that, it's at least doing that right, despite the graphical glitches and pop in.

ZoukGalaxy

Impressive ? Where ? Are they blind and deaf ?
The writing is 100% TERRIBLE as well as the visual, animation, physic. Are they on drugs ?
Oh and this is 100% woke trash also, as it wasn't enough.
This reminds 8-bit games where pink and violet colors where used on screen because on the limited pallet not because it's woke trash.
It's not even used anymore as a iconic color like Saints Row used to be, it just feels wrong.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sounds... very poor.

I'm happy with a 60FPS Performance Mode and a 30FPS Visual Mode in consoles. Make it run fast, or make it look good. Seven modes? Get the fuck out of here for this cross-gen non-sense.

GymWolf

The physics in the open world, he admits he likes driving round causing chaos so on the small basis of that, it's at least doing that right, despite the graphical glitches and pop in.
Physics is super exagerated and unrealistic in this game...(it has some nice destruction here and there tho)

Go watch the gman review, he has a section about this.

I mean don't get me wrong, i like sligtly exagerated physics and ragdoll, but here looks as silly as something like goat simulator or worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom