• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third sold 5.5 million copies prior to the Humble Bundle

SR3 is my favorite game in recent years. I've played it for over 400 hours. While I liked SR2, I hope SR4 (assuming THQ lives long enough) is more SR3 crazy.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
The city feels pretty bland and empty in SR3. That's what put me off the game. A decent lively city is a must in sandbox games.

RSLAEV

I got SR2 free with my copy of SR3. Take off your rose glasses guys, its definately not better - in any respect. SR3 is one of my fav games in this console generation and in fact of all time.

ahahhhaa.. no. SR2 had plenty of mechanical issues but I enjoyed it immensely and I was let down by Saint's Row 3's poor characters and environment and story.

MjFrancis

The city feels pretty bland and empty in SR3. That's what put me off the game. A decent lively city is a must in sandbox games.
Since I bought The Full Package on sale at Steam I've felt something was off in this game. I played SR1 a bit but that was a long time ago. But SR3 does feel empty. Not No More Heroes empty, but outside of missions there's not much going on most of the time. I get called on the in-game cell phone and every time it's just a mini-horde mode where I defend a block against gangsters.

As for the sandbox, it's lively. There's plenty of real estate to buy. Decent opportunities for character customization. Lots of traffic. Lots of pedestrians. But my interaction with the population is generally limited to mugging, murdering, or just punching people in the nuts. It's been fun, but not so varied. There's enough background noise that it looks like there's plenty to do, despite the contrary.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well deserved. Had such a blast with the game and can't wait till the next one. Do it justice and give them the budget/marketing it deserves!

KDR_11k

I got SR2 free with my copy of SR3. Take off your rose glasses guys, its definately not better - in any respect. SR3 is one of my fav games in this console generation and in fact of all time.

SR2 has more clothing options. That cannot be disputed. Also personally I liked the variety of tones the game had with the missions being a bit more serious while the open world stuff was wacky so you could pick which tone to follow for now. The three gangs having separate storylines made them more fleshed out as well IMO.

Horns

I liked SR3, but it was very short. It took 8 & 1/2 hours for me to play through the SP.

I'm hoping they make the next one longer.

Great game.
Seeing those numbers must make Volition feel pretty safe. If (when?) THQ goes down someone will surely acquire Volition so they can keep doing their thing.

Good, I just hope they stay around to make another. I have a bad feeling that if another publisher gets a hold of it, they will focus test the crap out of it and ruin it. :(

SR3 needs to be played co-op. My brother played the game twice (once by himself once with me) and it was a lot more enjoyable the second time. Rez your teammate, have one person shoot while the other drives, have someone fire the laser in the STAG tank, etc. Totally beats the average ally AI.

Ploid 3.0

Next SR shall have more Kinzie and Oleg. Since they will most likely have a lot of support for the next game I hope they go all out x600. I want geomod buildings, SR2 breakable stuff, SR2 huge buildings that you can enter without needing to load, a ton of costumes and separate parts.

I have not 100% any gang, or influence to make sure I run into some when exploring. I use the sandbox + mod that allow a lot of awesome abilities (teleports for example), world states, and effects.

JC2, Oblivion/skyrim/fallouts with mods up the wazoo, SR3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 2 & 3... gen of the awesome sandbox!

Also the controls in SR3 are supurb. From skydiving to shooting, so very well done.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Both SR2 and SR3 were fun, but for me, SR2 was definitely the better game. Tying the rewards like infinite ammo and super guns to stuff you did in the world rather than just waiting and buying them flat out made me feel much more involved.

Plus, after the initial "whoa" factor wore off, SR3 felt really dull to me. SR2 at least kept the gangs in seperate-ish storylines so you could choose how you played, (and felt like it had more content) while SR3 streamlined everything. It made it flow better, I guess, but Volition definitely pushed too far to the streamlined side.

Storywise, I dunno. Yeah, SR3 was over the top-crazy-fun, fine, but some of the decisions are pretty fucking stupid. Johnny getting shot to make the player "mad" at Phillipe (who was a terrible antagonist) the whole STAG thing, the pre-order bullshit and pretty terrible season pass DLC that didn't even integrate some/most of its items into the main game after you beat it...

Also, the city is pretty much dead. Barely any cars around, especially with the bugs that made no new cars/pedestrians spawn. To be fair, SR2 didn't do this well either, but Stillwater was a much better organized city that funneled you as the player to cool things. Steelport got boring much more quickly.

I dunno, rose-colored glasses or not, SR2 was the game where I had way more fun running around blowing shit up and doing stuff in the world, stupid poop spreading mini-games aside.

I just finished it this past weekend. I had fun a lot of fun with it. The best part about the game was that the world is set up in a way that makes just messing around in the open city not seem out of place. I created a character that looked as close to the Incredible Hulk as I could make with the character creator and he fit right in. The biggest issue I had with the game was all the story missions that were just tutorials for repeatable side missions.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SR 2 was much better. The city in SR3 is one of the worst in an open world game I have played this gen.

I don't know why, but SR3 never really clicked with me. I think that the travel times between missions may have been it, or something. I don't know. But I LOVED SR2, but never really got into SR3. Maybe I will try again over the holiday.

Top Bottom