• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third sold 5.5 million copies prior to the Humble Bundle

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't help but feel there's a lot of room in the co-op open world genre that hasn't been explored.

TJx26.jpg

I gave the game multiple chances but it just didn't click with me, after 5 hours of play time...I just deleted it today.

I actually loved Red Faction Guerrilla way more, infact it's my game of the generation. The only reason why I bought SR3 was because I thought it would be as good as RFG.

netBuff

Great it did so well, it's a fantastically fun game!

I'm definitely ready for the next great sequel in the Saints Row franchise.

Mangotron

It's really quite nicely done, if a bit repetitive. It's sort of Borderlands-esque in that you can get over some of its flaws because its so humorously written.

Yawnier

Banned
I beat the campaign for SR3 this past summer and I enjoyed it a lot, but I found it's campaign rather short and also found not to be as packed in content compared to SR2.

Plus, I really did not like Steelport all that much compared to Stillwater, but that's my opinion.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well deserved,and it deserve even more sales

SR is great series and it show what sandbox should really be,Volition is one amazing studio.

Derrick01

Banned
Not well deserved. A terrible game that took a lot of stuff out from 2.

Also I'm not interested in units sold I want to know how much money it made. It was heavily discounted really fast and has been on sale a ton since a month or so after it came out.

edit: ^ :lol Tunavi

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I still haven't heard someone say it was bad.

in before someone replies, "It was bad."

It had absolutely horrible mission structure half the time. The highs of the missions were unbelievably high, when they were creative and fun. But half of them were garbage filler mini games.

Ploid 3.0

I realized it was a Hit day one.

<3 SR3, my savior. Bring on SR4!!!

I like fun in my sandbox. I expect more toys next game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yup, it's pretty bad.

It's one of the few games I'm regretting to have bought day 1 due to the review buzz.
I liked Saints Row 2 though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well deserved, although SR2 was a little better. I thought everything lost momentum near the end of SR3.

While they might have upped the ante with the character making bits in SR3, they went backwards in terms of clothing vs. SR2. Unfortunate since SR2 allowed for a little bit more customization which was quite amusing.

How the shit is THQ hurting for money so bad if they really sold that many copies?

I gave the game multiple chances but it just didn't click with me, after 5 hours of play time...I just deleted it today.

I actually loved Red Faction Guerrilla way more, infact it's my game of the generation. The only reason why I bought SR3 was because I thought it would be as good as RFG.

Same here. Different strokes and all that, though. I think it got a little over-hyped for me since I had no idea what it was until everyone started talking about how awesome it is. What I played had some real high highs, but I was really bored in between those highs and just gave up after a while.

Tenck

Yup, it's pretty bad.

It's one of the few games I'm regretting to have bought day 1 due to the review buzz.
I liked Saints Row 2 though.

I didn't like it either. My problem was the highest difficulty only made the AI bullet sponges. That coupled with the boring missions, and I just can't find myself finishing it.

Always happy to see a non-annual series do well. SR2 was the better game though, so here's hoping SR4 is a similar jump to SR1 --> SR2.

He confirmed Saints Row 4 as well in a next tweet I think.

https://twitter.com/saviour131/status/280124006005358592

It's been confirmed for forever. Started out as DLC for SR3, and they decided they wanted to go all out and turn it into a sequel instead. Probably in part because THQ needs that money.

on June 20, 2012, Rubin stated that the Saints Row: The Third standalone expansion, Enter The Dominatrix, had been canceled and instead would be merged with Saints Row 4, allowing the team "more time, more resources, and a broader scope for the project". He also confirmed the game was scheduled for a calendar 2013 release window

Source.

Derrick01

Banned
It had absolutely horrible mission structure half the time. The highs of the missions were unbelievably high, when they were creative and fun. But half of them were garbage filler mini games.

Yeah there had to have been at least 10 missions that served as introductions to activities. And just about every time I had already done those activities on my own too. Such a waste of mission space.

GamerSoul

Wow, it sold that much?? I love the game to death, (and played my copy to death with a really bad disc burn, but I got it to work somewhat) so I'm glad to hear it.

They should've just released the Enter the Dominatrix :(

iNvid02

crazy fun, just a shame the dlc sucked and the city itself was void of life

good to hear it did well though

BobLoblaw

Banned
While Saints Row 3 is good playing solo, it really was meant for co-op. I can't count how many times my brother and I laughed while playing that game. One of my favorite things to do was drive as fast as possible, find a bridge, steer the car toward the railing and bail out while the car careened off the side (with him still in the passenger's seat). You can't have moments like that playing solo.

Duffyside

Banned
All the talk about THQ trying to hold on until Darksiders II, and now South Park, I've always known that Saints Row 4 was their goal. I think that year they made 800 million dollars... they just lost it all and then some because of the other horrible uDisasters. If they can capitalize on Saints Row 3, without uDraw... maybe they can make it.

shaowebb

I thought everyone knew Saints Row was a hit already? It was pretty much the biggest selling point for THQ in my eyes as it seemed to out GTA the GTA guys at every turn. Its likely not going to die even if THQ folds as its so well received someone is almost guaranteed to nab the studio just for the rights. I hear Ubisoft is interested in them.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Smart thing they ever did with Saints Row the Third was to release a GOTY version called the Full Package

Also with Black Friday and the $24.99 asking price, it should have sold through Truck Loads

"$30 worth of DLC" (most of it over-priced or gutted) really did do an awesome job of getting a complete game

If games sold Full Package style @ a $29.99 or even $39.99 price point, I think you can sell ridiculous amounts
No clue why the don't

Ploid 3.0

While Saints Row 3 is good playing solo, it really was meant for co-op. I can't count how many times my brother and I laughed while playing that game. One of my favorite things to do was drive as fast as possible, find a bridge, steer the car toward the railing and bail out while the car careened off the side (with him still in the passenger's seat). You can't have moments like that playing solo.

The weapons, abilities, and vehicles fun factor was greatly enhanced with another player in the world. I really wished there was a extended multiplayer mod made for this by now. Something like Just Cause 2 MMO like Multiplayer mod. Can you imagine the mayhem and awesome moments with all that?

THQ you hear me? Allow SR4 to have a flexible multiplayer player count. Limit console all you want, but let us do what we can on PC.

All the talk about THQ trying to hold on until Darksiders II, and now South Park, I've always known that Saints Row 4 was their goal. I think that year they made 800 million dollars... they just lost it all and then some because of the other horrible uDisasters. If they can capitalize on Saints Row 3, without uDraw... maybe they can make it.

South Park will do well for them. Not these numbers of course, but more than Darksiders 2 I'm sure (unless it turns out like shit and reviews kill the hype). As long as they can make it to SP they'll be able to make it to SR4. Hopefully by then they'll have a plan in place that doesn't consist of jumping from Saints Row to Saints Row just fighting to stay afloat.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

to this day I don't know how they thought uDraw HD is a good idea. it was just too expensive and there is no market/audience for it (and when it got released Wacom Pen and Touch was cheaper than it)

c0Zm1c

I really like SR3 for what it is - good, stupid fun - but after three games the series should be better than it is. It still feels like that unashamed GTA clone it was in the first game back in 2006, with nothing much going for it. I would like to see something a bit more outside-the-GTA-box and ambitious next time. Failing that I at least hope it's still good, stupid fun. :)

Top Bottom