• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi shares new screenshots of upcoming game Fantasian (Apple Arcade)

Fbh

615418-FantasianReleaseDate.jpg

So these aren't exactly brand new (they are from various dates earlier in January) but I hadn't seen them and I couldn't find a thread about them here.

Sakaguchi has been sharing some new screenshots of his Upcoming game Fantasia which is set to release at some point in 2021 on Apple Arcade. For those unaware, what sets this game apart from previous projects at the Studio (Mistwalker) is that the game world is made with actual real life dioramas.

So for example you have this new town he shared on new year

EqniDFMUwAElMjs

And this is how it's made:
EsGbpOPU0AAMRlx

ErqoIsVVcAAz0KE

EsN3CzOVEAM8eMQ

Looks pretty unique and slightly weird but I dig it. If I had any apple devices this one would probably make me subscribe to Apple Arcade. Hopefully it's only a timed exclusive and we see it on other consoles and PC in the future.

Source:Sakaguchi's oficial Twitter.

Handy Fake

"Apple Arcade"

I sleep

Dig the different technique that they are going for the graphics, but the difference between character/background is pretty jarring

This man should be getting big budgets, goddamit
Heh, I like it. Got no interest in the game but I think it looks very bonny indeed.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Apple Arcade. No thanks quit my free trial a month before it was due to end because I could only see a few game so would want to play. Tbh not many great games maybe a handful.

Last edited:

RoboEight

Still one of my favourite directors and creators in the industry, the game looks really nice and I love the hand made environments. I'll pick this up because he has yet to release a game I haven't enjoyed I just hope it's good, hopefully down the road we can see it come to console.

Fbh

Sorry but was is apple arcade? At some point it is better to give up any hope :messenger_sad_relieved:

It's basically gamepass for Apple devices. A subscription service where you get access to a bunch of games.
So far this game has been announced exclusively for the service. So at launch it will probably only be on iOS devices.

But as most third party exclusives, many of these are timed and end up coming to other platforms.
For example Shinsekai: Into the Depths which was one of the launch exclusives for the service ended up coming out on Switch like 6 months later.

So hopefully this one comes to other devices too.

Last edited:

Ixion

Wow I love the unique approach to environments. It's basically the old-school pre-rendered approach but actually real.

With that said, Sakaguchi always seems to make his games on platforms I don't have or want lol.

RoboEight

The industry isn't treating him well,

If I had company money, I let him find a sequel to Blue Dragon
He is such an amazing creative and imo SE hasn't been the same without him. Sadly I honestly think he doesn't wanna tackle big projects anymore and I find it hard to believe someone hasn't approached him to do so. He seems so happy living in Hawaii, surfing and just making small games which I can respect. I bet working on his new project and building the sets would have been a super fun project to work on.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apple Arcade exclusive means I will never play this. So... good for him, I guess?

EDMIX

"Apple Arcade"

I sleep

Dig the different technique that they are going for the graphics, but the difference between character/background is pretty jarring

I agree with your first part as I like the unique look and feel.

As for the whole budget thing........there is a reason why you don't see many jumping to fund this man. What ever went on at Square and then MS tells me something is clearly wrong behind the scenes.

Kimahri

Banned
I hate that this is on apple arcade so much.

Fingers crossed it'll show up elsewhere soon enough. I love the gooch, but not enough to get an apple device just to play his game.

They should put lost odyssey on gamepass so more people experience it.

Maybe then we get a sequel.

I like the real life environments in this game but i dont own an apple device.

Fbh

I honestly think it's not that he can't get bigger budgets, he probably just doesn't want them.
With the career he has had I wouldn't be surprised if at this stage (almost 60) he is happier living in hawaii working on fun little projects than going back to japan to work 80 hours a week on some AAA game

Hudo

I hope they'll port it to other platforms down the line after the timed exclusivity ends? (Like Sky from Thatgamecompany).

Reactions: Fbh

FStubbs

I agree with your first part as I like the unique look and feel.

As for the whole budget thing........there is a reason why you don't see many jumping to fund this man. What ever went on at Square and then MS tells me something is clearly wrong behind the scenes.
I think the only thing that happened with MS was that the 360 didn't get the sales in Japan like MS was hoping so MS moved on. It is interesting though that NIntendo hasn't gone back to him since Last Story.

Batiman

Banned
Interesting way of creating the world. I actually really like the way it looks. Not sure how well they’ll blend the characters with not the environment tho

EDMIX

I think the only thing that happened with MS was that the 360 didn't get the sales in Japan like MS was hoping so MS moved on. It is interesting though that NIntendo hasn't gone back to him since Last Story.

Forgot about the whole Nintendo thing. I think that further supports something is up with him. I can agree that maybe its Square if that was the only time it happened, but when you add in MS and Nintendo, its clear something is up.

So I wish this team got some big budget project, but I feel those publishers have sound, logical reasons for why they are not funding what he is putting out. (at least not with big budgets)

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Maybe it’s not that he has fallen, maybe it’s that he’s doing more relaxed projects, less preassure. Working big projects for so many years must be taxing.

Remember this? Some of his fans still do.

Blo9lR5.jpg

When you promise a console game (and not any console game) to your fans and then you proceed to completely ignore that promise to keep making mobile shovelware, I'll call it a fall.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

So are these "prerendered" backgrounds that are just images of these real life dioramas they made, or are these actually polygonal and textured environments that are some kind of 3D scans from these dioramas, that were somehow imported into a 3D game engine to be run in real time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom