Sakura Note (MMV/DS/Adventure)

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Japanese adventure game about a boy who goes on an adventure meeting with demons and ghosts to save a girl and a sakura tree. 2D graphics, looks nice. Comes out in Japan on Nov 5th. Revealed in Famitsu.

Staff:

Music - Nobou Uematsu the hasbeen (composer of crappy vocal songs from FFXII and Lost Odyssey)

Scenario - Kazushige Nojima the tard (scenario writer of flops like FFVIII and Glory of Heracles DS)

Visuals - Hideo Minaba the turd (art director of horrors like FFIX and ASH)

Game Design - Akira Ueda the failure (director of the bomba known as Contact)


Don't give up hope on MMV! They're still trying! :lol
 

Cowie

Member
May 2, 2007
2,765
0
0
duckroll said:
Staff:

Music - Nobou Uematsu the hasbeen (composer of crappy vocal songs from FFXII and Lost Odyssey)

Scenario - Kazushige Nojima the tard (scenario writer of flops like FFVIII and Glory of Heracles DS)

Visuals - Hideo Minaba the turd (art director of horrors like FFIX and ASH)

Game Design - Akira Ueda the failure (director of the bomba known as Contact)


Don't give up hope on MMV! They're still trying! :lol
I'm not even sure why you would post this.
 

Pureauthor

Member
Jun 11, 2006
21,847
0
0
duckroll said:
Japanese adventure game about a boy who goes on an adventure meeting with demons and ghosts to save a girl and a sakura tree. 2D graphics, looks nice. Comes out in Japan on Nov 5th. Revealed in Famitsu.

Staff:

Music - Nobou Uematsu the hasbeen (composer of crappy vocal songs from FFXII and Lost Odyssey)

Scenario - Kazushige Nojima the tard (scenario writer of flops like FFVIII and Glory of Heracles DS)

Visuals - Hideo Minaba the turd (art director of horrors like FFIX and ASH)

Game Design - Akira Ueda the failure (director of the bomba known as Contact)


Don't give up hope on MMV! They're still trying! :lol
Hey, I liked FFIX's art! You take that back!
 

Tailzo

Member
Feb 6, 2007
4,893
0
905
Norway
duckroll said:
Japanese adventure game about a boy who goes on an adventure meeting with demons and ghosts to save a girl and a sakura tree. 2D graphics, looks nice. Comes out in Japan on Nov 5th. Revealed in Famitsu.

Staff:

Music - Nobou Uematsu the hasbeen (composer of crappy vocal songs from FFXII and Lost Odyssey)

Scenario - Kazushige Nojima the tard (scenario writer of flops like FFVIII and Glory of Heracles DS)

Visuals - Hideo Minaba the turd (art director of horrors like FFIX and ASH)

Game Design - Akira Ueda the failure (director of the bomba known as Contact)


Don't give up hope on MMV! They're still trying! :lol
Isn't that a little unfair to all of them? I mean, maybe not all of the music in Lost Odyssey was awesome, maybe I personally didn't like the scenario in FFVIII and maybe contact didn't sell well, but they all seem to be talented... I just think you're being too mean. I liked the music in FFXII, loved the art in FFIX and Contact sounded funny when reading about it. (I am still kinda annoyed I never picked it up while I could get it for cheap.)
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Tailzo said:
Isn't that a little unfair to all of them? I mean, maybe not all of the music in Lost Odyssey was awesome, maybe I personally didn't like the scenario in FFVIII and maybe contact didn't sell well, but they all seem to be talented... I just think you're being too mean. I liked the music in FFXII, loved the art in FFIX and Contact sounded funny when reading about it. (I am still kinda annoyed I never picked it up while I could get it for cheap.)
Maybe if I were serious..... :p

Uematsu is definitely a has been!
 

Acosta

Member
Jun 9, 2004
12,637
0
0
38
Edit: Nothing, I know it´s sarcasm, is just that it sounded a bit harsh. Keep on.
 

Roland

Member
Mar 4, 2006
536
0
0
I'm rather surprised that this is not a RPG. I tried to like Contact, I even bought it twice thinking that I might've misjudged it the first time. The game definitely has its charm, but I really couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll buy this game twice if XSEED is bringing it over.
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,074
0
835
Tulsa, OK
Christ you guys, it was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, yay! Although depending on what kind of "adventure" you mean, I guess we might never see this in English.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
batbeg said:
Christ you guys, it was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, yay! Although depending on what kind of "adventure" you mean, I guess we might never see this in English.
It's a 2D adventure game (2D sprites on 2D backgrounds), with the character moving around talking to people like a RPG. There are also action based battles where you press A to attack and B to evade. Not sure how much it's like Contact, but the backgrounds look pretty nice.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
The developer is probably Audio, but it doesn't specifically say. Not surprising, since the name would generally mean nothing to most people.
 

Mr. Pointy

Member
Mar 12, 2006
12,141
0
0
Nobuo Uematsu is the William Shatner of gaming music.

I think the other guys have the potential to bring this through.
 

Sipowicz

Banned
Oct 13, 2008
3,592
0
0
this actually sounds really interesting

i hope it's like the other japanese adventure games on ds

and also how did final fantasy 8 flop?
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
32
Toronto, ON
Yay Ueda isn't dead! I hope it turns out better than his last 2 games, maybe less emphasis on combat and more emphasis on everything else is a step in the right direction.
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
32
Toronto, ON
1UP has details:
Marvelous Entertainment unveiled the first details behind Sakuranaut today, a nostalgia-twinged adventure game for the Nintendo DS. It'll come out November 5 in Japan, with a special soundtrack CD available for customers who preorder in that country; no overseas release has been announced.

Sakuranaut is immediately notable for the staff working on it. Nobuo Uematsu, well known for his contributions to the Final Fantasy series, is handling the music, and another old FF veteran, Hideo Minaba, is leading the visual department. Kazushige Nojima, writer of most of the Kingdom Hearts games, is doing the story here, and Contact designer Akira Ueda is the chief designer of this game as well. The whole thing's being produced by Kenichiro Takagi, who's fresh off completing Half-Minute Hero for Marvelous.

As far as the game itself goes, it's a story-heavy, overhead-view adventure set within two towns and the surrounding countryside. A new girl, Nanami Yoshida, has just moved in to your neighborhood, and apparently she's being targeted by a local band of ghosts and ghouls. It seems this has something to do with a pair of sakura (cherry blossom) trees that dominate the landscape of both towns, one slowly withering and another one blooming deep into the summertime, as if to make up for its weaker sibling. You, a normal boy, decide to get to the bottom of both mysteries, talking to people and unlocking new story episodes as you go along.

More as it comes.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175767

For some reason they translated the title as Sakuranaut, is that more likely than Sakura Note?
 

Akai

Member
Feb 14, 2005
2,512
0
0
32
World 2-3
I'm one of those few people that really like Contact, so even though so many tards are involved I'm definitely getting this!

jj984jj said:
For some reason they translated the title as Sakuranaut, is that more likely than Sakura Note?
Nah..."Sakuranaut" would be "サクラナート" or "サクラノット", while the actual shown title is "サクラノート"...
 

teekun

Member
Dec 9, 2008
926
0
0
Melbourne, AUS
Akai said:
I'm one of those few people that really like Contact, so even though so many tards are involved I'm definitely getting this!



Nah..."Sakuranaut" would be "サクラナート" or "サクラノット", while the actual shown title is "サクラノート"...
Policenauts uses "ノー" and not "ナー" or "ノッ" so couldn't it really go either way?
 

Akai

Member
Feb 14, 2005
2,512
0
0
32
World 2-3
teekun said:
Policenauts uses "ノー" and not "ナー" or "ノッ" so couldn't it really go either way?
Hmmm, I guess it could then...I guess just sticking with phonetics doesn't matter all the time...
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,074
0
835
Tulsa, OK
Oh God it took me like half a second into loading that site before wanting it. The sprites on the pretty painting with the heartstring-tugging piano is awesome (though I find the non-sprite character in the background a bit distracting :lol).

I loved Contact. I will love this! ...if it comes out in a language I can understand.
 

shuyin_

Banned
Dec 22, 2008
1,384
0
0
The game looks so charming in that trailer. Don't know why, but i'm reminded of Makoto Shinkai's movies :D

Anyway, this, Ninokuni and Final Fantasy Gaiden are the DS games i'm considering buying day1. I hope the fact that it's an adventure game doesn't mean it won't be localized.
 

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
May 28, 2009
4,155
0
0
I love the background art in the game. It looks a lot like Contact, which I guess is due to the chief designers working on both games.
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,074
0
835
Tulsa, OK
The sprites don't quite have that level of detail in their animation that would propel this to absolutely beautiful, but none-the-less it's a damn good looking game.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Nice. Thanks, neo.

It looks like the website also updated. It has a system page, some artwork, the same movie as Famitsu, and four songs you can play.

I guess my biggest concern at this point is seeing actual combat in the Famitsu trailer, because that opens up the door to Akira Ueda screwing things up. But I guess as long as he doesn't try to get too weird with some of the gameplay systems, like in Contact, it shouldn't be too bad.

batbeg said:
The sprites don't quite have that level of detail in their animation that would propel this to absolutely beautiful, but none-the-less it's a damn good looking game.
Yeah... I've seen better sprites. But the backgrounds really are quite lovely. Very nice use of color.

GhaleonQ said:
*looks longingly* Well, this is a lock for localization!

...

......*cries*
Actually, I'd be kind of surprised if this isn't localized. Nearly every notable title that MMV has published in the past few years has gotten out of Japan (the Rune Factories, Half Minute Hero, the Luminous Arcs, the Valhalla Knights, Little King's Story, Avalon Code, Steal Princess, Lux Pain...). Even the really niche ones. If this was a Namco or Konami game, I would say you'd be right to be concerned, but I think someone will probably localize this. At the very least I expect that Rising Star will publish it in Europe.
 

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jun 6, 2004
23,924
1
0
42
Savannah, GA
The live action parts of that commercial remind me of the movie Kikujiro.

I would play that if it was a game.

Probably be impossible to Beat, though.
 

Hours Left

Member
Jun 28, 2006
33,689
1
0
The graphics are really nice and the music sounds great.

But the main character's artwork. @_@

Anyway, would love to give this game a shot.
 

Stencil

Member
Jan 24, 2008
2,475
0
0
MN
Call me what you will, but am I the only one who thinks the official character art is reminiscent of Miyazaki??

+1 hope for localization. I loved Contact.
 

tenritsu

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
1,691
0
0
28
GhaleonQ said:
*looks longingly* Well, this is a lock for localization!

...

......*cries*
:lol :lol

It does look Contact-esque though... which means I'm interested.
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,074
0
835
Tulsa, OK
Evilink said:
er...who's MMV? MMarVelous?
Marvelous Media Vibration, according to Wikipedia. And they've been referred to as MMV forever, how had you not noticed :lol

ethelred said:
Actually, I'd be kind of surprised if this isn't localized. Nearly every notable title that MMV has published in the past few years has gotten out of Japan (the Rune Factories, Half Minute Hero, the Luminous Arcs, the Valhalla Knights, Little King's Story, Avalon Code, Steal Princess, Lux Pain...). Even the really niche ones. If this was a Namco or Konami game, I would say you'd be right to be concerned, but I think someone will probably localize this. At the very least I expect that Rising Star will publish it in Europe.
Good points. Maybe MMV are easier to deal with regarding lisencing costs, and of course we already know they're more open to any publisher taking on the job, more or less.
 

Sipowicz

Banned
Oct 13, 2008
3,592
0
0
this game looks absolutely fantastic like a better version of contact

dows anyone know if this has anything to do with a nippon ichi game called sakura wars on ps2/wii?

i still dont really understand what this game is about or what you do in it
 

shuyin_

Banned
Dec 22, 2008
1,384
0
0
Sipowicz said:
this game looks absolutely fantastic like a better version of contact

dows anyone know if this has anything to do with a nippon ichi game called sakura wars on ps2/wii?

i still dont really understand what this game is about or what you do in it
It has nothing to do with Sakura Wars.

Sakura Note is an adventure with "simple action buttons" fights. It's developed by Audio and the creative mind behind it is the guy that made Contact. Also working on it are Hideo Minaba, Nobuo Uematsu and Kazushige Nojima of Final Fantasy fame.
 

Sipowicz

Banned
Oct 13, 2008
3,592
0
0
shuyin_ said:
It has nothing to do with Sakura Wars.

Sakura Note is an adventure with "simple action buttons" fights. It's developed by Audio and the creative mind behind it is the guy that made Contact. Also working on it are Hideo Minaba, Nobuo Uematsu and Kazushige Nojima of Final Fantasy fame.
i dont understand why it has such a similar name if it's so different

an adventure game with combat might be cool i'll have to wait and see. but seeing as there's a new game coming from the phoenix wright people as well as cing they're going to have some tough competition
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Sipowicz said:
i dont understand why it has such a similar name if it's so different
Why does Gears of War sound so similar to God of War if it's so different? :(
 

Amalthea

Banned
Mar 6, 2009
7,946
0
0
Switzerland
Sipowicz said:
i dont understand why it has such a similar name if it's so different

an adventure game with combat might be cool i'll have to wait and see. but seeing as there's a new game coming from the phoenix wright people as well as cing they're going to have some tough competition
Sakura are cherry blossoms. The Japanese love them. (Well, everyone loves them!)
 

Sipowicz

Banned
Oct 13, 2008
3,592
0
0
Tyrant_Onion said:
Sakura are cherry blossoms. The Japanese love them. (Well, everyone loves them!)
that makes sense. thanks

i think i just found it odd because i didnt know what it meant and it seemed to be included in the name of two very different games
 

jRPG

Member
Feb 13, 2009
186
0
0
Loving the screens. The creature designs in the trailer kinda remind me of stuff from Spirited Away. I look forward to seeing more.