• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai considered Geno for Super Smash Bros. Brawl/4

OmegaFax

Geno isn't any more of a one-off character than Bayonetta or Shulk. Takamura isn't that obscure considering Nintendo did release the NES/Famicom version on the Virtual Console recently. Heck, Lucas could be considered the most obscure since Mother 3 hasn't been released outside of Japan (but in two Smash games).

My personal belief is that I think the deal with Square-Enix was pretty cut and dry on their IP ... they got Cloud, the stage, two songs, rights to do the Amiibo, Chocobo costume, and Geno. Cloud's the only 3rd party character to only come with just the bare minimum trophies for Classic/All-Star + the Final Smash for the Wii U edition. No extra trophies for any other FF characters or any remixes or music outside of the two for the Midgar stage. I was crossing my fingers that they'd include a music track from Super Mario RPG like "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" for Smash Run or as alternate stage music since I think the track was cut from Brawl. Kind of feel like Square-Enix doing any of this was a friggin' miracle. Cloud's inclusion did for me what Snake did for Brawl ... my favorite left field IP that's fun to play. Geno Mii costume was icing on the cake.

I really want to know what happened with the cut characters, but he probably won't talk about that to avoid controversy.

The part in the ballot about "realizable and negotiable characters" and "Bayonetta ranked higher than characters from previous games" seems like a biggest hint we'll get that Snake didn't make it due to Konami fuckery.

Geno isn't any more of a one-off character than Bayonetta or Shulk.

To be fair...those characters you mentioned are technically the main protagonists of their games, while Geno was like, the sixth most important character from an old Mario RPG from years ago. He's a bit more comparable to characters like Midna or Ghirahim, who also aren't playable.

And as Toxi mentioned below, Bayo starred in two games, not one.

So now Smash NX needs:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf
3. Chorus Kids
4. Inkling
5. King K. Rool
6. Takamaru
7. Geno

To be fair...those characters you mentioned are technically the main protagonists of their games, while Geno was like, the sixth most important character from an old Mario RPG from years ago. He's a bit more comparable to characters like Midna or Ghirahim, who also aren't playable.

And as Toxi mentioned below, Bayo starred in two games, not one.

Well

1. Both Midna and Ghirahim are playable in Hyrule Warriors, so Geno isn't even to that level

2. Midna is technically playable in TP

Now that I think about, Geno actually HAS made another appearance in gaming, that being Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

maxresdefault.jpg

Technically it's only his lifeless husk that appears, but it's something I suppose.

MisterHero

Smash is basically about fans convincing themselves something can't happen, and then it does
Seriously we need to stop commenting on this vague concept of "fans". The guys saying Geno never had a chance are not fans of Geno and obviously aren't fans of fanservice itself. They just need to stop, period.

Super Mario RPG was a great game and a great collaboration with Squaresoft. Geno is a symbol of that. If someone doesn't get his significance then that's their problem.

I'm not a fan of K.Rool but the amount of chortling towards both him and Geno was annoying as hell in past Smash Bros. threads. They were shit posts #2 and #3 after #1 "Ridley's too big/fat/stupid/ugly" being repeated over and over.

Maybe Ridley will get in if Smash Bros. allows giant/boss characters, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom does. They already design stages for 8 players, so maybe they can provide room for playable bosses.

Nanashrew

Banned
One day I would like to know more about what happened with Square and Nintendo. They got on bad terms for awhile then on good terms and then we got Geno in Super Star Saga.

They seems to have a very weird relationship.

DedValve

Banned
With Cloud, everything is possible now. I'm rooting for CJ or Tommy Vercetti.

There's a huge difference between Cloud and anyone from GTA. Yes Sakurai managed to fit Snake despite his games and themes being more mature than the average nintendo games but not only does GTA have very little history with Nintendo, unlike Final Fantasy, but the super realistic characters that focuses almost ENTIRELY on brutal, realistic violence would never work in Smash. Just because Cloud is in I doubt we will see CJ, Tommy, hell even Kratos in smash. Come on now.

They'll all get in before Ridley or any other Metroid rep. Ever. :(

L Thammy

Seriously we need to stop commenting on this vague concept of "fans". The guys saying Geno never had a chance are not fans of Geno and obviously aren't fans of fanservice itself. They just need to stop, period.

Super Mario RPG was a great game and a great collaboration with Squaresoft. Geno is a symbol of that. If someone doesn't get his significance then that's their problem.

I'm not a fan of K.Rool but the amount of chortling towards both him and Geno was annoying as hell in past Smash Bros. threads. They were shit posts #2 and #3 after #1 "Ridley's too big/fat/stupid/ugly" being repeated over and over.

Maybe Ridley will get in if Smash Bros. allows giant/boss characters, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom does. They already design stages for 8 players, so maybe they can provide room for playable bosses.

You can be a fan of something without putting a sticker on your bumper.

One day I would like to know more about what happened with Square and Nintendo. They got on bad terms for awhile then on good terms and then we got Geno in Super Star Saga.

It's pretty well documented, isn't it? Final Fantasy VII pissed off Yamauchi. He refuse to let Square Enix make games for the Gamecube unless they made on that sold systems (Crystal Chronicles). His retirement itself was probably a huge improvement to their relationship.

Basically, Square Soft went for greener pastures, and once Enix absorbed them (a lot of people don't remember that while it was a merger, Enix basically was the surviving entity), they reestablished ties with Nintendo, 'cause I don't think Enix had much at all of a beef with Nintendo.

MisterHero

You can be a fan of something without putting a sticker on your bumper.
That wasn't my point. There's being a fan of something, then there's posting on boards repeatedly saying "No, this can't happen, this character isn't relevant enough". That's not how fanservice works.

This happened to Geno and certain other characters all the time when Smash games are in development.

I'll back off now; I'm apparently still wound up from those threads.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's pretty well documented, isn't it? Final Fantasy VII pissed off Yamauchi. He refuse to let Square Enix make games for the Gamecube unless they made on that sold systems (Crystal Chronicles). His retirement itself was probably a huge improvement to their relationship.
Basically, Square Soft went for greener pastures, and once Enix absorbed them (a lot of people don't remember that while it was a merger, Enix basically was the surviving entity), they reestablished ties with Nintendo, 'cause I don't think Enix had much at all of a beef with Nintendo.

I actually had no idea. Are there any places to read more about it?

You know, on the subject of possible third parties, I would be cool with Crash Bandicoot.

I mean I know he hasn't been super relevent in awhile, but back in his prime, he was actually somewhat of a phenomenon in Japan, where his series was and still is the highest selling western IP over there. For a series that's ultimately been much more influenced and molded by the east more than anything, I think that's something that counts.

If there was to be a western third party in Smash, I think Crash would be the best pick.
besides Banjo & Kazooie

Also, there's something funny, and yet also very tragic about the thought of a Smash Bros. game getting both Cloud and Crash while Playstation All-Stars couldn't.

In the early 90s Square wanted to develop Chrono Trigger for the SNES-CD addon. When Nintendo canceled the SNES-CD, Square had to change their plans and eventually they jumped ships and went to make FFVII for the Sony PlayStation after considering making it for the SNES and the Nintendo 64. Nintendo got pissed and the two companies only got in good terms again when CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi left Nintendo in 2002.

udivision

After Smash 4 why do people feel the need to justify why X or Y character could or couldn't be in the game?

There are no rules, and any rules that exist get broken. Who cares what makes sense. There is no sense to make.

Nah, bro it was a merger. Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada was the CEO of Square before the merger. But that doesn't matter because Nintendo reestablished ties with Square way before the merger anyway, and it was because Yamauchi (basically the only one who had any beef with anyone about this whole thing) left Nintendo and was succeeded by Iwata.

L Thammy

I actually had no idea. Are there any places to read more about it?

I'm not sure if there's a single place with all the relevant information, but the feud was all about Final Fantasy VII and the hostility was mostly from Yamauchi's side, so you can probably look up things around there.

I don't think the Enix merger is actually that relevant, but it's due to The Spirits Within nearly killing Square. You can look up things around there. Enix was still hugely successful in Japan but had little international presence and didn't own their own IPs (they worked more like a book publisher) so they did have something to gain out of saving Square.

I'm not sure if there's a single place with all the relevant information, but the feud was all about Final Fantasy VII and the hostility was mostly from Yamauchi's side, so you can probably look up things around there.

I don't think the Enix merger is actually that relevant, but it's due to The Spirits Within nearly killing Square. You can look up things around there. Enix was still hugely successful in Japan but had little international presence and didn't own their own IPs (they worked more like a book publisher) so they did have something to gain out of saving Square.

FFVII was the tipping point, but Square had been frustrated for a while by Nintendo's lack of support for the CD-ROM format. Square started work on Chrono Trigger on the SNES-CD addon that Nintendo was co-developing with Sony, but Nintendo canceled that addon when they realized Sony had too much power in their partnership. Square was forced to make Chrono Trigger for the normal SNES but was still hoping to make FFVII for a Nintendo CD-ROM-based console. When they saw that Nintendo's next console the Nintendo 64 would still be cartridge-based, they said f*** it and went to talk with Sony which had just released the PlayStation console.

FFVII was the tipping point, but Square had been frustrated for a while by Nintendo's lack of support for the CD-ROM format. Square started work on Chrono Trigger on the SNES-CD addon that Nintendo was co-developing with Sony, but Nintendo canceled that addon when they realized Sony had too much power in their partnership. Square was forced to make Chrono Trigger for the normal SNES but was still hoping to make FFVII for a Nintendo CD-ROM-based console. When they saw that Nintendo's next console the Nintendo 64 would still be cartridge-based, they said f*** it and went to talk with Sony which had just released the PlayStation console.

Yeah, I was always under the impression that it was entirely due to Nintendo going with cartridges on the N64. Square wanted to push the envelope of their games further and felt the cartridge was too limiting.

The real story here is that he didn't consider the superior Mallow.

Now that I think about it I think I'd prefer Mallow over Geno. Mallow's moveset would be weather-based, which could be really neat and unique. Geno's moveset would consist of stuff already present in the game - lasers, bullets, and stars.

I'd happily take either at this point though, I just want a SMRPG character in Smash! And some glorious Shimomura tracks added in too.

notaskwid

If you put the 'o' as second letter, trade the 'n' with the 'e', make the 'e' capital, delete the top and bottom lines, divide the middle one and angle it upwards and downwards, then turn the 'n' upside down, what do you get?

Goku

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Now I just hope that the NX port gets Geno and Takamaru. Geno in Smash would be one of the best shocking additions they could possibly conceive.

Geno, Inkings, Rhythm Heaven Rep, Takamaru, Ice Climbers, Wolf and Snake... That would be awesome :p

If Square-Enix is on smash train for next console then I could see Geno and Cloud get in Smash Bros.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double post. (I meant to copy and paste)

I meant we finally got Final Fantasy rep from Square-Enix for Smash Bros. It was DLC so I bet that they wouldn't go with Geno for DLC newcomer because Geno himself might not sell very well so I wonder if they are going to wait until new Smash Bros to include him in.

So what characters are confirmed to have been considered? All I can think of are Ice Climbers, Takamaru, Geno, and Chrom. Chorus Kids too kind of, given that all signs point to Gematsu being true.

The Geno fanbase will come back stronger than ever during Smash 5 speculation, eh? Oh boy.

I think with this news, it's more likely than ever that Super Smash Bros. on NX will feature Takamaru and Geno. It just straight up feels like a "They were this close, but hey, maybe if I hear some noise wink wink" situation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash is basically about fans convincing themselves something can't happen, and then it does

Pretty Much... Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu, Robin, Bowser Jr/Koopalings.. They were great additions to the roster! :D

For Smash NX or future iteration: Now we would convince ourselves that something can happens, and it doesn't.

I think with this news, it's more likely than ever that Super Smash Bros. on NX will feature Takamaru and Geno. It just straight up feels like a "They were this close, but hey, maybe if I hear some noise wink wink" situation.

Like Miis and Villager. :O

Takamaru is definitely guaranteed for next go IMO. Whenever that is.

Top Bottom