• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’

Aroll

Sora is such a great add. It's sad that him getting added has only furthered people's perception that Sakurai is racist. Reality is, and this MAY be tough to hear - but most of gaming's most iconic characters happen to be white or asian. I keep thinking in my head "man, when I think of gaming icons what comes to mind"

- Link
- Mario
- Sonic
- Crash
- Nathan Drake
- Master Chief
- Doom Guy
-etc.

The list goes on and on. If it's not animal based, it's probably white or asian. There are definitely some very strong black characters in gaming - but how many of them are the face of the very games they represent? Twintelle from Nintendo's arm's is a popular character, but Min Mini and Springman are the poster childs for the franchise.

I get the feeling not a single character that was chosen for Smash even had skin color as a possible considering factor, but rather popularity of said character combined with their importance/developer desire.

Cloud versions lol, u will have no game to play in a few years when they turn off the servers. Nintendo get a grip.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Sora is such a great add. It's sad that him getting added has only furthered people's perception that Sakurai is racist. Reality is, and this MAY be tough to hear - but most of gaming's most iconic characters happen to be white or asian. I keep thinking in my head "man, when I think of gaming icons what comes to mind"

- Link
- Mario
- Sonic
- Crash
- Nathan Drake
- Master Chief
- Doom Guy
-etc.

The list goes on and on. If it's not animal based, it's probably white or asian. There are definitely some very strong black characters in gaming - but how many of them are the face of the very games they represent? Twintelle from Nintendo's arm's is a popular character, but Min Mini and Springman are the poster childs for the franchise.

I get the feeling not a single character that was chosen for Smash even had skin color as a possible considering factor, but rather popularity of said character combined with their importance/developer desire.

Correct. Since this game was conceived an all star fighter and not an Old Navy Ad Fighter. People injecting their politics into everything is such cancer. They have Asian characters. Well Asian is white, according to Era. They have Ganon, who's clearly middle eastern. It doesn't count because he's a bad guy. It's problematic. They have black skins for certain characters. It's performative, put in some effort and make a ground up black character or get canceled, plz. These people move goal posts so much they're in a different stadium. Nothing will ever be good enough. It will only be tolerable when the cast is 60% black (not other races, just black) people, and they're all heroes, because only white guys are allowed to be antagonists.

It's why Sakurai and Nintendo make these people so batshit, because they're old school. They don't take the identity politics and Twitter rage bait. They stay in Japan, make games, and don't give a fuck, and that's why their products haven't been eroded in a sea of politically correct pandering.

Woopah

- Link
- Mario
- Sonic
- Crash
- Nathan Drake
- Master Chief
- Doom Guy
-etc.

Smash is definitely a symptom rather than the cause. As a whole Japanese publishers have been terrible at creating protagonists with darker skin.

That one. I mean, it's not without merit that out of 100 characters, they probably could have squeezed a black character in there, but people GO OFF in that thread. Sora is technically Japanese, anyway, huh? Asians aren't white. But Era thinks the world is literally black and white.

Edit: that was meant to be a reply, but oh well.
Don't give a shit about Smash or Sora but anything that pisses off these lunatics gets my endorsement

Aroll

Smash is definitely a symptom rather than the cause. As a whole Japanese publishers have been terrible at creating protagonists with darker skin.
While I understand this, most of Japan is... asian. So for them most of what they interact with are people that appear "white". And game developers tend to make games based on what they know. What has to happen is that people of color need to form game studios, and create their own new popular IP and characters. I do not expect a studio made up 99% asians of light skin color to be focused on political correctness and injecting cultures they don't understand or have direct knowledge of.

NahaNago

So a Japanese company in a country that is 99% Asian, with a company that is probably 99% Japanese, and probably have never even talked to a person with darker skin would probably be terrible at creating protagonists with darker skin.

On Sora being picked as the last character , even though I wasn't that excited over him being chosen since I wanted to be shocked his trailers and his character in game was amazing to see. The first battle platform looked terrible. End of an era with this being the last smash character.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Something something anime swordsman meme

Nothing to do with that, I simply despise KH.
James Franco Flirt GIF

Last edited:

NahaNago

That was such a great final presentation, character and send off :)
I thought the send off could have been a little bit better. The presentation for Sora was great, I just thought the send off could have been better since it was mostly focused on Sora instead of just the whole history of releases of characters , locations , and music for this game instead of just listing them.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wait, Sora is thier massive secret last character? Even people who don't play smash Brothers should care? Crazy.
I think all he meant was that you should watch it even if you don't play Smash, because they also announced all the Kingdom Hearts games would be playable on Nintendo Switch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think all he meant was that you should watch it even if you don't play Smash, because they also announced all the Kingdom Hearts games would be playable on Nintendo Switch.

Ahhh, that would make a lot more sense.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

That one. I mean, it's not without merit that out of 100 characters, they probably could have squeezed a black character in there, but people GO OFF in that thread. Sora is technically Japanese, anyway, huh? Asians aren't white. But Era thinks the world is literally black and white.
I wager Ganondorf, King K Rool, Ridley, Mr Game and Watch, Meta Knight, Dark Samus all qualify.

Square Enix characters tend to look more Asian in CG than they do in game. See Tidus in FFX. But I was more going with the "it was made in Japan, so I'm just assuming the dude is Asian by default," logic. I don't even know if Japanese people exist in the KHverse. Chinese people do. But hey.
By that logic a whole lot of people are now oriental. 🤣 It would follow their mental designs, though. A white person is blonde, am "Asian" is a white person with brown hair.

MegaBustet

I thought the send off could have been a little bit better. The presentation for Sora was great, I just thought the send off could have been better since it was mostly focused on Sora instead of just the whole history of releases of characters , locations , and music for this game instead of just listing them.
For some reason the final extended trailer really got to me. Maybe it was the music choice too haha. But when Sora was flashing between different smash stages I was enamored by it all. Then that hand shake at the end. I felt like it was the end of a symphony.

GeekyDad

Absolutely perfect addition, and not surprised. But I don't care for the way they introduced him in that video, like he was "the chosen one," or some silliness like that. Eh, whatever. Should be great nonetheless.

clem84

Gold Member
I was wondering. With so much post launch content having been developed since the game came out, I wonder if they'll ever release an updated physical copy with all DLC. I don't remember Nintendo ever doing this so I'm not holding my breath. Would be nice though.

NahaNago

For some reason the final extended trailer really got to me. Maybe it was the music choice too haha. But when Sora was flashing between different smash stages I was enamored by it all. Then that hand shake at the end. I felt like it was the end of a symphony.
I didn't even see that trailer the first time. I zoned out when it repeated the beginning of the first sora reveal. Was watching with the gamexplain reaction and it died a few minutes before that last trailer scene but ended up watching it once they got their streaming fixed. It was great for a Sora reveal and alright for an ending. I was just hoping that they would do a bit(lot) more to tug at the nostalgia strings for those who have been watching all of these smash bros reveals. It did tug at the heart strings and the flashing between stages was great.

Last edited:
Putting aside my eh-ness for Sora, a couple things:

1) A lot of people requested him. Give the people what they want.
2) That said, getting the last slot came at the expense of other characters.

'Til next game, I guess.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m hoping that the next Super Smash Bros. game is purely Nintendo characters. Super Mario games alone can probably cover a roster of 100 characters if the developers got creative enough with their choices

Until that day though, going to enjoy and cherish SSBU. A game like this probably wont come our way again. Congratulations to Sakurai and his team

not a smash fan. But if they release an Ultimate edition of Ultimate...with all DLC included on a cart...i would buy it. Sora is a tipping point where i can no longer talk myself out of getting the game.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
not a smash fan. But if they release an Ultimate edition of Ultimate...with all DLC included on a cart...i would buy it. Sora is a tipping point where i can no longer talk myself out of getting the game.
My guess is they'll release something like that on their next-gen console. No way they're making a brand new Smash Bros. game that trumps this.

blacktout

I haven't visited Era in months, and my sanity is better for it, but damn am I tempted to click on that link. They must be absolutely losing their shit over this now that there are no more characters coming. That thread must be a thing of beauty today.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I haven't visited Era in months, and my sanity is better for it, but damn am I tempted to click on that link. They must be absolutely losing their shit over this now that there are no more characters coming. That thread must be a thing of beauty today.

It's about what you'd expect, but more of it. It's entertaining. I couldn't be that angry that often.

Majukun

eh, in the end that thread is nothing egregious..in the end it boils down to some people thinking that representation should trump everything, even business sense and logic..which is era in a nutshell.
but no one seems to be losing their shit, just two factions that will never met up because they see the situation from two completely different and inconciliable points of view...and a mod team which is a failure at actually, you know , moderate between the two.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Those people are a riot. Standing on each other's shoulders shouting to the performative gods when not one of those middle class white people truly gives a shit about (or even noticed beforehand) a lack of diversity in a cast of characters that includes monsters, talking animals, and a happy blob-thing that inhales its enemies.

Those guys sound like they will enjoy Netflix Deathnote version.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

I'm just disappointed we still don't get Pokemon vs. Digimon, Agumon/Wargreymon with 3-stage evolution like Pokemon Trainer, would've been an easy addition. Digimon is coming back in Japan.

FIGURE-128620_06.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm just disappointed we still don't get Pokemon vs. Digimon, Agumon/Wargreymon with 3-stage evolution like Pokemon Trainer, would've been an easy addition. Digimon is coming back in Japan.

FIGURE-128620_06.jpg

Wargreymon is the shit, and they could even add Black Wargreymon as an alt or echo. I support this.

Top Bottom