• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’

Bullet Club

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’​

The last DLC fighter will be announced on Tuesday

bzE4dhf.jpg

Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai has encouraged video game fans to watch the game’s final character reveal, “even if you don’t play the game”.

“In just one day, the last fighter of Smash Bros. Ultimate will be announced,” he wrote on social media. “Even if you don’t play the game, if you’re interested in gaming I’d like to recommend you watch it.”

He added: “The new fighter may be a character that you don’t know or different from what you expected. But I hope you enjoy the broadcast itself and I had fun recording it.”

Hosted by Sakurai himself, the final Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal stream will take place on October 5 at 7am PT / 10am ET / 3pm BST. The event will be the final held for Ultimate, nearly three years after its first release.

Sakurai recently reiterated that the title’s next fighter after that will conclude development on the game.

“Finally, the next DLC fighter will be the last one,” he said. “There won’t be any more after that. It’ll be a while before that announcement, but it’ll be available this year as planned, so please be patient. It seems like the team will have to complete this project at home, right up until the end.”

Sakurai previously said he felt that there was “no way” the series would be able to have as many fighters or series represented again in future games.

lOAqIdZ.jpg

Kazuya Mishima from the Tekken series joined Ultimate on June 29, as part of the Challenger Pack 10 DLC, which also includes a new stage and a selection of music tracks from the Tekken franchise.

He was the 12th downloadable character to be added to Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Previous additions have included Banjo and Kazooie, the hero from Dragon Quest, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury and Steve from Minecraft.

Source: VGC

YukiOnna

They put so much into this game. It’s hard to imagine how they could possibly make another one for a long long time.
I believe Sakurai said as much they would not be attempting anything like Ultimate again for the next one. It was pretty grueling on him.
Sakurai believed this would be the only Smash game to have the full roster of returning characters, calling the effort to include the characters, music, stage settings, and other elements as "unprecedented", and cautioned that future series games would likely be smaller in scope.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll definitely watch it.

I don’t really care who it is, but I really enjoy the character trailers they make with all the fakeouts. The Smash-team makes some of the best trailers at Nintendo imo.

Zenaku

It'll be a 3-in-1 character, similar to how Pyra and Mythra are a 2-in-1.

Mario-Master Chief-Nathan Drake.

A celebration of the gaming community. Fanboys everywhere will put down their pitchforks and hold hands to celebrate the end of the war. It's finally over, lads.

The Great Gaming War
1994-2021

Rat Rage

We have RYU from Street Fighter
We have Terry Bogard from King of Fighters
We have Kazuya Mishima from Tekken

That's 3 very iconic and popular Fighting Game characters (or better: 3 main representants from each Fighting Game series).

If we follow this trend logically, there is only one option left:

Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown

Edit: or wait... this would get SNK 2 representatives...

With this in mind, it can only be:

Heishiro Mitsurugi from Soul Edge (Soul Calibur series) (Iconic Namco Fighting Game representative)

Last edited:
It's going to be a retrospective on the entire series, and then at the end he will announce his retirement and the completion of the Super Smash Bros. series.

The secret character will be a new amiibo of Sakurai himself. It will have expanded memory, and with new compression technology just developed, will be able to hold a complete replica of Sakurai's thought patterns so that you can take Sakurai with you to your friend's house to play matches forever.

Kilau

Gold Member

A celebration of the gaming community. Fanboys everywhere will put down their pitchforks and hold hands to celebrate the end of the war. It's finally over, lads.

The Great Gaming War
1994-2021
So it’s actually going to be a bottle of Coca-Cola.

zeioIIDX

It will be the Angry Video Game Nerd. That would be...something, lol. Sakurai wouldn't allow it. I wonder if it'll be Mario/Luigi from the '93 flick. Kinda like how Capcom has a running joke of sometimes including "Ugly Boxart Mega Man" in stuff.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hades or Medusa for that sweet Kid Icarus Uprising 2 announcement obviously.

It's probably a character I won't even remotely care about.

The only reason I can think of with him saying everyone should watch something even if you don't play Smash is because they are announcing something that isn't Smash related.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

The Great Gaming War
1994-2021

A giant bottle of sentient Coca Cola.

MiguelItUp

It'd be awesome if it was a reveal that would make the majority lose their ever living shit. But I have a feeling it's gonna be ho-hummy.

God, if it was just some other Fire Emblem character.... Lmao.

Termite

I have legitimately no idea who it could be. There are no remaining characters who "move the needle" enough to be worthy of being "the last ever sakurai smash bros character". All that's left for the community is to post joke guesses.

Which makes me think it'll be something from left-field, that celebrates Smash or video games as a whole. Like a console-tan character, who can take the (human) form of a NES, SNES, Wii, Switch etc.

This would fit in to the "even if you don't play the game" idea. Like, if you like Nintendo games (but not Smash) you might still like the nostalgia on display.

If it's just Sora or something, then that doesn't make sense. It's gonna be something way out there, like Piranha Plant was, like Ness and Jigglypuff were back in the original.

Andodalf

Banned
I have legitimately no idea who it could be. There are no remaining characters who "move the needle" enough to be worthy of being "the last ever sakurai smash bros character". All that's left for the community is to post joke guesses.

Which makes me think it'll be something from left-field, that celebrates Smash or video games as a whole. Like a console-tan character, who can take the (human) form of a NES, SNES, Wii, Switch etc.

This would fit in to the "even if you don't play the game" idea. Like, if you like Nintendo games (but not Smash) you might still like the nostalgia on display.

If it's just Sora or something, then that doesn't make sense. It's gonna be something way out there, like Piranha Plant was, like Ness and Jigglypuff were back in the original.

There are 100% still characters who move the needle. Sora would be wild.

Doom85

Captain Toad Nintendo GIF by Paul Robertson

I feel the final character of what is presumably the largest Smash roster for the foreseeable future should end on a Mario character in a closing the circle kind of way. And what better choice than the only one of the most iconic members of the series not yet included? And in his most badass version to boot. Yes, I know Captain Toad doesn’t jump but that’s hardly the first liberty they’ve taken with Smash.

Having that said, that probably won’t be the case given Sakurai’s comments. For third party options, I’d love Rayman, Chun-Li (don’t give a shit if that would mean three SF characters, I like my SF), or Travis from No More Heroes. But again, doubt that’ll happen based on these comments.

Top Bottom