• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’

Robb

Gold Member
Sora is a neat choice imo, happy to see it’s at least a character a lot of people have been asking for.

I imagine it must have been hell to get him into the game though, with all the different rights-holders etc.

YukiOnna

I hope he gets some well deserved rest
FA8vCxzXEAM8z3Y

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don't understand, what's the big deal? Why would I be interested in this even if I don't play?

Kingdom Hearts was a pretty big phenomena in the mainstream. Lots of Square fans pulled to Disney when they wouldn't have cared otherwise and lots of Disney fans pulled to Final Fantasy or gaming in general. The number of people I've run into who had started gaming because of KH is surprisingly large, and even friends I have who don't game as a hobby have played at least portions of the original. We're all jaded here on GAF, but it has a lot of pulling power as a franchise.

YukiOnna

I don't understand, what's the big deal? Why would I be interested in this even if I don't play?
Probably mentioned it for people who only play games on a casual level since KH is well known. During the D23 Disney Expo Game showings, KH always got the largest crowd reactions. And as Sakurai mentioned on stream, Sora has been the most requested for a long time now.

Fbh

What are the disadvantages of playing KH games on Switch with “cloud” gaming?

It's streaming.
So you will need a constant and fast internet connection. Even if you have a fast connection, depending on your location you might still get latency issues like input lag.
And it also diminishes the portable appeal since you'll always depend on having a fast internet connection available. So, for example, you won't be able to play on a plane.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the Sakurai is a racist thing was a joke, and I made the mistake to check era, and yeah, they are mad there aren't any black characters in Smash.

You can't make it up, it's like a South Park episode.
I went to the site too, looked up the thread and came to the conclusion that some of you are grasping at straws here. One comment in the 10 pages I've read could be (barely) interpreted as in calling Sakurai a racist, and that comment wasn't even referring to Sakurai. A few comments (and I mean a few, like at best 10%) were disappointed that there are no black characters in Smash Ultimate, but that's not the same as calling someone racist. Not at all. Saying they were calling Sakurai a racist (directly or indirectly) is a stretch.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's streaming.
So you will need a constant and fast internet connection. Even if you have a fast connection, depending on your location you might still get latency issues like input lag.
And it also diminishes the portable appeal since you'll always depend on having a fast internet connection available. So, for example, you won't be able to play on a plane.
Sounds fucking horrible dude. So it’s basically a peasant tier rental with a high-end price that fucks you over

Why would they even offer such games on a cloud service?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I went to the site too, looked up the thread and came to the conclusion that some of you are grasping at straws here. One comment in the 10 pages I've read could be (barely) interpreted as in calling Sakurai a racist, and that comment wasn't even referring to Sakurai. A few comments (and I mean a few, like at best 10%) were disappointed that there are no black characters in Smash Ultimate, but that's not the same as calling someone racist. Not at all. Saying they were calling Sakurai a racist (directly or indirectly) is a stretch.

No, there's like a 50 page thread about his "mistreatment of black characters," because of a silly screenshot of Mario hosing Ronin. I've seen verbatim "Sakurai is a racist," over there, ROFL.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
No, there's like a 50 page thread about his "mistreatment of black characters," because of a silly screenshot of Mario hosing Ronin. I've seen verbatim "Sakurai is a racist," over there, ROFL.
I've only looked into the thread about Sakurai announcing Sora as a playable character.

Could you link the thread you are referring to?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

That one. I mean, it's not without merit that out of 100 characters, they probably could have squeezed a black character in there, but people GO OFF in that thread. Sora is technically Japanese, anyway, huh? Asians aren't white. But Era thinks the world is literally black and white.

Edit: that was meant to be a reply, but oh well.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

That one. I mean, it's not without merit that out of 100 characters, they probably could have squeezed a black character in there, but people GO OFF in that thread. Sora is technically Japanese, anyway, huh? Asians aren't white. But Era thinks the world is literally black and white.

They never cease to entertain.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, thank you. Will look into it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Everyone knows Era is a site full of shitstains, shitbags, and awful racist fuckwits. No need to pollute our site with their tripe anymore.

If Sora is "Asian", then he's had a lot of surgery.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If Sora is "Asian", then he's had a lot of surgery.

Square Enix characters tend to look more Asian in CG than they do in game. See Tidus in FFX. But I was more going with the "it was made in Japan, so I'm just assuming the dude is Asian by default," logic. I don't even know if Japanese people exist in the KHverse. Chinese people do. But hey.

Fbh

Sounds fucking horrible dude. So it’s basically a peasant tier rental with a high-end price that fucks you over

Why would they even offer such games on a cloud service?

No idea man.
It makes sense for KH3 since the switch probably can't run it natively so I guess a cloud version is better than no version.

But for the other games which are essentially Ps2 remasters it makes absolutely no sense. This just reeks of laziness as setting up some cloud version is probably faster/cheaper than making a native port.

Iron Man Reaction GIF

carlosrox

Banned
I mean, there are literally playable black characters in the game, they're just mad that basically "it's not enough" or "they're alt skins".

It's fucking insane. Hey there's no Latino people, Indian people, or Asian people either but do you see people crying about that??

Anyways fuck that noise and fuck those morons.

----

That #thankyouSakurai is pretty nice. Guy needs to take a much needed break. He seems to be the definition of a workaholic.

I'd be totally lying though if I said I didn't want the next Smash game in a few years though. However if it's mostly a port I'd be fine with that. I do want it to be as next gen as possible on their next system, but I'd be happy with more characters and marginal visual improvements. This game deserves to be another MK8 and just sell for another entire generation. I really don't know how a sequel would be made from scratch. They just need to keep this same going while adding more requested characters. I'm not sure why Sakurai himself would need to be personally involved, it's not like he's the only one who works on these games.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

If there's people who don't think it's a big deal, just see the amount of attention the related official tweets have gotten. It definitely had attention.

The live stream itself is still #1 trending.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
They should've put Twintelle in instead of Min Min. I didn't even buy Min Min, she's not an interesting character.

m08vhz5d33p41.jpg

Soodanim

Great, now I need to try to forget that thread exists again, but this time with that ridiculous hose update. Dude is either insane or way too dedicated to the character

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Great, now I need to try to forget that thread exists again, but this time with that ridiculous hose update. Dude is either insane or way to dedicated to the character

What's even better is guaranteed 70% of that thread is overweight white men in their early thirties.

Jesus...
That, in a nutshell, is why I left that place and never looked back.

celsowmbr

Banned
Ma

Man I love resetera! They are pure juice of woke

Top Bottom