• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales Age: Capcom on Wii. (Okami, ZW, RE:4, RE:UC

carlnunz

I searched for this but found nothing:

IGN has a LTD sales analysis of Capcom's games up, courtesy of NPD.....

Resident Evil 4 -- 759,000 units sold
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles -- 398,800
Okami -- 165,900
Zack & Wiki -- 116,600

Okami was actually better than expected, what did the PS2 version sell?
Also, Is Zack and Wiki THAT disappointing?

Edit: forgot to link
http://wii.ign.com/articles/952/952652p1.html

Dascu

I think I read that Zack&Wiki reached 300k worldwide. Otherwise... Okami Wii did better than I had thought to be honest. Do we have worldwide figures on that?

Sadist

So Okami performed better than Zack & Wiki? Damn. The only figures left for Okami Wii are the European sales, because the game was not released in Japan.

Spiegel

Great numbers for RE4

Jocchan said:
According to Matt Casamassina the PS2 version was at 270k worldwide as of March 2008.
So yeah, it's possible.

Are you sure those are worldwide numbers? I'd say they are US numbers

In the article they say "since its release in September of 2006, the game has amassed about 270,000 in sales" (US date)

Okami was released in April in Japan and Christian Svensson works for Capcom USA

Jocchan said:
According to Matt Casamassina the PS2 version was at 270k worldwide as of March 2008.
So yeah, it's possible.
Spiegel said:

In the article they say "since its release in September of 2006, the game has amassed about 270,000 in sales" (US date)

Okami was released in April in Japan.
Yeah, I was about to say that was a bit too low to believe for worldwide. The original and budget versions of PS2 Okami in Japan combine to at least 213K as of the end of 2007.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Spiegel said:

Okami was released in April in Japan and Christian Svensson works for Capcom USA
To be honest, I think they're too high to be US numbers. Yes, the game had long legs and kept selling under the radar, but if it managed to get to 270k in the US only it wouldn't have needed a "second chance" to sell better: it would have been sitting at 400-500k worldwide, which is a pretty respectable number.

EDIT:
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, I was about to say that was a bit too low to believe for worldwide. The original and budget versions of PS2 Okami in Japan combine to at least 213K as of the end of 2007.
Didn't know that. I guess I should have checked Garaph ;P

Wow, apparently it sold much better than I expected.

i'd expect that okami has probably outsold the ps2 version when euro sales are factored in (or if it hasn't yet it eventually will) i'm just surprised its never been released in japan i know a lot of "core" wii games havent sold very well but the text already exists in japanesse so even if they just sold like 10 or 20 thousand copies its still all profit

edit - ok just noticed the 270k ps2 figure probably aint worldwide, oh well the wii versions figures still aint bad for a completely unpromoted made in a year by 8 people port

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's really amazing that RE4 has been selling well for so long and Capcom still won't throw us a bone. Hell I'd take an original third person shooter on Wii from Capcom at this point. Don't even make it RE related, just give it to us damnit.

JDSN

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
It's really amazing that RE4 has been selling well for so long and Capcom still won't throw us a bone. Hell I'd take an original third person shooter on Wii from Capcom at this point. Don't even make it RE related, just give it to us damnit.
Buy 10 copies of Dead Rising first, bitch.

nubbe

I don't get why Okami sell so poorly...

It is such an awesome and beautiful game.
Everythime I do a side mission or the main quest I get a nice feeling of accomplishment since I am saving the environment and world.

Why do people hate the environment? *sad face*

nubbe said:

Everythime I do a side mission or the main quest I get a nice feeling of accomplishment since I am saving the environment and world.

Most gamers who would have been interested in it probably already had it on PS2. And I don't think it was promoted enough to make much of an impact with non-hardcore gamers.

szaromir

Banned
nubbe said:

It's also as boring as a video game can possibly be.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm skeptical of IGN's numbers since they burned me last week with their EA numbers that were at first from NPD and then changed to the banned site.

It's hard to believe that Okami outsold Zack and Wiki by such a considerable margin, when Z+W has been played by over 59,000 Nintendo Channel users while Okami has only been played by around 52,500. Unless more than half of the people who played Z+W rented it or something, I'm calling BS on those numbers.

Valtor

Banned
schuelma said:
I'm skeptical of IGN's numbers since they burned me last week with their EA numbers that were at first from NPD and then changed to the banned site.

They didn't change the numbers, and the numbers weren't consistent with ioi's numbers. It's pretty clear somebody from NPD or EA told them not to show these numbers, or to reduce the credibility of those numbers....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
nincompoop said:
It's hard to believe that Okami outsold Zack and Wiki by such a considerable margin, when Z+W has been played by over 59,000 Nintendo Channel users while Okami has only been played by around 52,500. Unless more than half of the people who played Z+W rented it or something, I'm calling BS on those numbers.
Probably reflects people deleting the Nintendo channel over time as Wiiware and DLC took off.

poppabk said:
Probably reflects people deleting the Nintendo channel over time as Wiiware and DLC took off.
Both games had already been released for a while when the Nintendo channel first came out.
EDIT: Actually, I guess Okami had only been out for a few weeks, so maybe you're right.

Tron 2.0

nubbe said:

It's a port of a poor selling PS2 game...I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to do better.

lawblob said:
Sucks for Zack & Wiki.
Pretty respectable numbers for a game in a VERY niche genre with zero advertising. Again, not sure why people were expecting it to do better.

M3d10n

nincompoop said:
Nintendo channel numbers can be easily skewed by pirated games.

JadedOne

So I guess I'm the only one who was impressed with Z&W's numbers in the US? Selling over 100,000 of a game of that type with no advertising is pretty damn good.

Mohonky

Go RE4. Definitive version imo. God that game is awesome with Wii controls.

RE5 visuals with RE4 mechanics = drool

Kenka

Why do I even bother to comment those numbers. Pretty solid numbers all around but a bit disappointed by Umbrella Chronicles...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
John Harker said:
I dont think thats so bad for ZW
It all depends on how many of those units were sold for $50 and how were sold at a budget price.

nincompoop said:
You do realize how statistically unreliable the Nintendo channel is, right? Trying to project a game's sales based on it would be as reliable as doing the same to Amazon or using VG Chartzz

markatisu

Kenka said:
Why do I even bother to comment those numbers. Pretty solid numbers all around but a bit disappointed by Umbrella Chronicles...

You realize regardless of the license RE:UC was still on on-rails light gun game. Which those numbers would be insanely high for.

Capcom had only expected according to their original financials around 600k for RE:UC worldwide....they got almost all that just in the US.

Link

The Autumn Wind
markatisu said:
You realize regardless of the license RE:UC was still on on-rails light gun game. Which those numbers would be insanely high for.

Capcom had only expected according to their original financials around 600k for RE:UC worldwide....they got almost all that just in the US.
While the game may have met/exceeded Capcom's expectations, 400k is not "almost 600k."

Top Bottom