• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sales Age) Earnings time again (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, UBI)

AniHawk

On the topic of software sales:

GBA: 376.66m (4.644 tie ratio)
NDS: 369.61m (5.235 tie ratio)

GC: 208.47m (9.589 tie ratio)
Wii: 148.44m (6.071 tie ratio)

Essentially there are more people buying games for the DS than there were on the GBA, but there are less people buying games for their Wii.

AniHawk said:
Looks like old hardware was still selling:

GBA (all versions): 81.06m
NA: 41.64m
Japan: 16.88m
Other: 22.53m

Gamecube: 21.74m
NA: 12.94m
Japan: 4.04m
Other: 4.77m

Should be the final numbers for both.

Current hardware LTD:
NDS: 70.60m
NA: 22.38m
Japan: 22.39m
Other: 25.82m

Wii: 24.45m
NA: 5.90m
Japan: 10.61m
Other: 7.94m

???

The Wii is not at 10 million in Japan.

AniHawk said:
Looks like old hardware was still selling:

Gamecube: 21.74m
NA: 12.94m
Japan: 4.04m
Other: 4.77m

Wait, doesn't that put the GC into second place for last gen then by a pretty decisive margin?

And... GC outsold both 360 and PS3 combined in WW sales last year? WTF? Am I reading that wrong?

Xeke

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
Wait, doesn't that put the GC into second place for last gen then by a pretty decisive margin?

And... GC outsold both 360 and PS3 combined in WW sales last year? WTF? Am I reading that wrong?

LTD

Sharp

MrNyarlathotep said:

LTD.

MrNyarlathotep said:

I'm pretty sure those are LTD numbers. I seriously doubt the Cube sold 20+ million last year. :lol

Sharp

AniHawk said:

Essentially there are more people buying games for the DS than there were on the GBA, but there are less people buying games for their Wii.
The Gamecube had a little longer to boost its tie ratio, of course. Plus so few people bought it that overall it didn't really matter.

Also, does this mark the first time that we know the Wii officially passed the Gamecube's LTD? Or is this old news?

Neo C.

AniHawk said:

a bit premature. Both Wii and NDS will have better tie ratios in the next two years, especially the DS (software forecast/hardware forecast).

Edit: beaten.

AniHawk said:

I had somehow blocked it out of my memory that the Gamecube had a tie ratio that high. I'm usually WAY above every system's tie ratio, but I was pretty damn close on the GC.

Foxix Von

Little Green Yoda said:
spinningladysmallit8.gif

Ugh sorry but I just had to say that this thing is driving me nuts. It just keeps changing directions! Thing is driving me crazy :lol .

AniHawk

If Nintendo exceeds their DS forecasts by about 1.4m, the DS will become the first non-Sony system to sell 100 million.

Unless you count the Game Boy and Game Boy Color as the same system.

Matt

ComputerNerd said:
Good Lord.
Lets see if we can figure them out:

Nintendo:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Big Brain Academy
WarioWare
SSBB
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario

Third Party:
Mario and Sonic
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
Boogie
Guitar Hero 3
Tiger Woods 07
Raving Rabbids
Raving Rabbids 2
Carnival Games
Red Steel
MySims
Sonic and the Secrete Rings

Probably not completely right...but I bet it's close.

Gaborn

Matt said:

Nintendo:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Big Brain Academy
WarioWare
SSBB
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario

Third Party:
Mario and Sonic
Resident Evil 4
Boogie
Guitar Hero 3
Tiger Woods 07
Raving Rabbids
Raving Rabbids 2
Carnival Games
Red Steel
MySims
Cooking Mama: Cook Off

The truly notable thing about your guesstimate list is there are more 3rd party games on it than 1st party. If you're right then so much for the stereotype of only Nintendo games selling.

turk128

Foxix said:
Ugh sorry but I just had to say that this thing is driving me nuts. It just keeps changing directions! Thing is driving me crazy :lol .
The trick is the reflecting on the bottom.

And wow at the 1m sellers on the Wii.

Matt said:

Nintendo:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Big Brain Academy
WarioWare
SSBB
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario

Third Party:
Mario and Sonic
Resident Evil 4
Boogie
Guitar Hero 3
Tiger Woods 07
Raving Rabbids
Raving Rabbids 2
Carnival Games
Red Steel
MySims

i doubt DDR is even close to selling a million everything else though you're probably right

Matt said:

*snip*

Rampage Wii shipped over 1M according to Midway's last financial statement (ending December 31st), so it potentially reached the milestone as well.

titiklabingapat said:
It depends on how many Konami shipped. IIRC, there were some sporadic supply issues with the title.

well it sold pretty shit in japan, hasn't appeared in the NPD at all and only came out in europe fairly recently and if there really has been sporadic supply i'd be surprised if konami has shipped more than a few hundred thousand

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
frankie_baby said:
well it sold pretty shit in japan, hasn't appeared in the NPD at all and only came out in europe fairly recently and if there really has been sporadic supply i'd be surprised if konami has shipped more than a few hundred thousand
Actually DDR Hottest Party did REALLY WELL on NPD. I'd still be surprised if coupled with Europe it shipped over 1m, but I bet it at least reached half that.

Innotech

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Rampage Wii shipped over 1M according to Midway's last financial statement (ending December 31st), so it potentially reached the milestone as well.
my roommate is actually looking for that game. We went one night to Walmart searching for it but it wasnt there.

Slavik81

AniHawk said:
Tie ratios increase dramatically when people stop buying the system. The old owners will keep buying games and increasing their collection, and there'll be no new owners with 1 game dragging the system tie ratio down.

Innotech

Banned
Stormbringer said:
my roommate is actually looking for that game. We went one night to Walmart searching for it but it wasnt there.

Innotech

Banned
frankie_baby said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?o...k=view&id=9639&Itemid=50&limit=1&limitstart=1

81. Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
Wii Exclusive
69%
September/Other (Music)
Konami/Konami
Andrew Hayward (GamesRadar): “With its ability to attract new gamers, the Wii is a perfect home for Hottest Party, which may be the most mainstream-friendly series entry in years.”

Linkup

57 DS million sellers and the 26 Wii million sellers yet we saw very few of those titles chart in the NPD. NPD Top 10 isn't a good view of the US market at all.

AniHawk

Linkup said:
57 DS million sellers and the 26 Wii million sellers yet we saw very few of those titles chart in the NPD. NPD Top 10 isn't a good view of the market at all.

You'll get just the top 10 AND YOU'LL LIKE IT.

Lobster

Banned
frankie_baby said:

DDR has sold really damn well on NPD.

RR2 is definitely not a million seller.

Weenerz

Banned
MKWii is a million seller for sure and its not even out in the US yet. Dunno if it was apart of that report tho.

Holy crap at all the DS software, and reports said Nintendo was worried about piracy issues :lol

justchris

Weenerz said:
MKWii is a million seller for sure and its not even out in the US yet. Dunno if it was apart of that report tho.

Holy crap at all the DS software, and reports said Nintendo was worried about piracy issues :lol

This report is for the fiscal year ending March 31st, though, so MKWii wouldn't be on it.

Innotech

Banned
Lobster said:

76. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Wii/DS
67%
November/Other (Minigame)
Ubisoft/Ubisoft Paris
Alex Navarro (GameSpot): “The minigames are mostly decent, but few really inspire the same sort of cackling glee that the first game did.”

\It didnt exactly flop though.

Weenerz

Banned

damn GAF and the screwy post stuff, sorry for the double post.

Lobster said:

ok my bad really just dont remember seeing it, still doubt its even close to a million though, rabbids 2 has more than likely shipped a million its getting sold fairly cheap now and is still getting regular tv advertising

so 3rd party software actually sells on the Wii/DS? Wow.

Really? I mean, I knew the marquee stuff does well (Umbrella Chronicles, MySims, etc.), but lower profile games have got to be doing at least okay-ish for those kind of numbers.

Neo C.

Leonsito said:
!!! That's impossible :-O
Yeah, low numbers. Once again, Nintendo is a conservative company when it comes to forecast. I won't be surprised if they need to correct their forecasts during this year.

Top Bottom