sales-age: Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe

Jun 6, 2004
Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe
February 21st, 2008

Nintendo has announced that since the launch of the Wii in Europe, they have managed to sell over 6,000,000 units. While specific breakdowns for every country, they did say that 800,000 units were sold in Germany.

http://gamefront.de/

Jun 7, 2006
king zell said:
Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe
February 21st, 2008

Nintendo has announced that since the launch of the Wii in Europe, they have managed to sell over 6,000,000 units. While specific breakdowns for every country, they did say that 800,000 units were sold in Germany.

http://gamefront.de/
Holy **ing crap.

Endgegner said:
According to gamefront.de they also sold 20 Million DS in Europe, 3.3 of that were in Germany.
O_O HOLY CRAP ! 20 millions !!!

Jan 27, 2007
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
O_O HOLY CRAP ! 20 millions !!!
That... sounds a bit too much ?

IIRC they sold around 4.5M in France. So with germany that's around 8 million. Those are the 2 biggest markets after UK. Hmm... dunno

Jun 7, 2006
Raist said:

IIRC they sold around 4.5M in France. So with germany that's around 8 million. Those are the 2 biggest markets after UK. Hmm... dunno
Well, WW they claim they sold 65 millions DS. If you add the numbers, we have 22 millions Japan, 18 millions USA and 20 millions Europe we have 60 millions.

Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Australia and South America combined can reach 4-5 millions (I think).
So, it seems that this number is not out of this world, but of course the Europe's number is claimed by Nintendo: so, these numbers could be shipped and not sold (as always).

Apr 5, 2006
Raist said:

I think they announced that they broke 2 million in Spain some time back.
I'd think they'd have something like 6 million in the UK.

It doesn't seem too far from what the actual sales numbers might be.

Mar 20, 2006
Tideas said:
and where did Gamefront.de get their info?
The site only says "Nintendo announced today ..."

It's probably from some press release of Nintendo Germany, gamefront is generally very reliable and posts only data from legit resources.

Apr 22, 2005
lfoclub.com
Endgegner said:
The site only says "Nintendo announced today ..."

It's probably from some press release of Nintendo Germany, gamefront is generally very reliable and posts only data from legit resources.
Well, this was published by gameindustry.biz, ehich is very, very realiable. So, yeah, old news here, one month old.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Aug 29, 2007
Down Under
Maybe us PAL people will start getting the games closer to release date? You know, actually RELEASING the games here on time should help sales Nintendo.

Apr 22, 2005
lfoclub.com
Kipz said:
Maybe us PAL people will start getting the games closer to release date? You know, actually RELEASING the games here on time should help sales Nintendo.
As much burned as I am by Fire Emblem relased date (13 months after the japanese release) and Smash Bros. Brawl (three months later), truth is Europe has seen a shortened time frame for releases. Mario Kart will be released here a day after the japanese release, and ahead the US release. Wii Fit is being released here before USA, Galaxy was released pretty close and Endless Ocean months in advance.

So yeah, the picture is pretty ugly in many cases but it's looking brigther by the day.

Now if only localization got better and we could had the option to have speech in our own language...

Jul 18, 2005
This number is old. And btw. Nintendo is claiming that Wii has sold 800k in Germany, while GfK puts it at 728k, so either Nintendo is flat out lying or they have a different and/or more accurate source.
Either way for comparison purposes it probably makes more sense to take the GfK sales (if the difference in the rest of Europe between GfK/Charttrack and Nintendos own numbers would be the same as in Germany, Wii's user base according to independent market researchers should be more like ~5.5m).

RpgN

Dec 19, 2007
The Netherlands
rpgnour.tumblr.com
Yay? Great news for nintendo I guess. BTW since the wii was released in Europe, I've only seen two copies in stores in the Netherlands. It's always sold out! After a year that's really lame. Espeally for consumers who are interested in the wii (me! me!). For gamecube and VC games :D

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Feb 1, 2007
Moor-Angol said:
it was xmas 1992, i had a SNES pal and enjoying Street Fighter 2, the most awaited game of the year.
after few months a friend of mine showed me his Super Famicom with Street Fighter 2, it was the last time i bought a Nintendo pal console...
LOGIC ERROR

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Jun 27, 2004
How many Wiis has Nintendo sold WW? I'm assuming they've broken 20 million? I didnt see a press release issued for it, as Id assume they would do.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Feb 1, 2007
Slurpy said:
How many Wiis has Nintendo sold WW? I'm assuming they've broken 20 million? I didnt see a press release issued for it, as Id assume they would do.
IIRC they didn't issue a press release when they passed the 360 worldwide, so I'd imagine they would keep quiet about this as well.

fresquito said:
SNES =/= Super Famicom
Everything I've read stated that :

NES = Famicom
SNES = Super Famicom