• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sales-age: Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe

king zell

Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe
February 21st, 2008

Nintendo has announced that since the launch of the Wii in Europe, they have managed to sell over 6,000,000 units. While specific breakdowns for every country, they did say that 800,000 units were sold in Germany.

http://gamefront.de/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Holy crap

As an aside- I had Europe estimated at 5.9M at the end January..not too shabby :D

king zell said:
Nintendo breaks 6 million Wiis sold in Europe
February 21st, 2008

Nintendo has announced that since the launch of the Wii in Europe, they have managed to sell over 6,000,000 units. While specific breakdowns for every country, they did say that 800,000 units were sold in Germany.

http://gamefront.de/

Holy **ing crap.

Endgegner said:
According to gamefront.de they also sold 20 Million DS in Europe, 3.3 of that were in Germany.

O_O HOLY CRAP ! 20 millions !!!

Sadist

We Europeans love us some Wii.

I think its still amazing that the Wii is big in the United Kingdom. With the Gamecube last generation who would expect this? And apparently here in Holland. If you want a Wii here, they laugh at you. Poor people :(

Raist

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
O_O HOLY CRAP ! 20 millions !!!

That... sounds a bit too much ?

IIRC they sold around 4.5M in France. So with germany that's around 8 million. Those are the 2 biggest markets after UK. Hmm... dunno

Raist said:

IIRC they sold around 4.5M in France. So with germany that's around 8 million. Those are the 2 biggest markets after UK. Hmm... dunno

Well, WW they claim they sold 65 millions DS. If you add the numbers, we have 22 millions Japan, 18 millions USA and 20 millions Europe we have 60 millions.

Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Australia and South America combined can reach 4-5 millions (I think).
So, it seems that this number is not out of this world, but of course the Europe's number is claimed by Nintendo: so, these numbers could be shipped and not sold (as always).

Busaiku

Raist said:

I think they announced that they broke 2 million in Spain some time back.
I'd think they'd have something like 6 million in the UK.

It doesn't seem too far from what the actual sales numbers might be.

Tideas

Banned
Sadist said:
Seems to me that this is a statement from Nintendo Germany

I was referring to the 20 mil DS. Saw their site, but saw they had no source to it. I wonder if I go to a certain banned site...I may see the same numbers?

Endgegner

Tideas said:
and where did Gamefront.de get their info?

The site only says "Nintendo announced today ..."

It's probably from some press release of Nintendo Germany, gamefront is generally very reliable and posts only data from legit resources.

fresquito

Endgegner said:
The site only says "Nintendo announced today ..."

It's probably from some press release of Nintendo Germany, gamefront is generally very reliable and posts only data from legit resources.
Well, this was published by gameindustry.biz, ehich is very, very realiable. So, yeah, old news here, one month old.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Maybe us PAL people will start getting the games closer to release date? You know, actually RELEASING the games here on time should help sales Nintendo.

fresquito

Kipz said:
Maybe us PAL people will start getting the games closer to release date? You know, actually RELEASING the games here on time should help sales Nintendo.
As much burned as I am by Fire Emblem relased date (13 months after the japanese release) and Smash Bros. Brawl (three months later), truth is Europe has seen a shortened time frame for releases. Mario Kart will be released here a day after the japanese release, and ahead the US release. Wii Fit is being released here before USA, Galaxy was released pretty close and Endless Ocean months in advance.

So yeah, the picture is pretty ugly in many cases but it's looking brigther by the day.

Now if only localization got better and we could had the option to have speech in our own language...

Penguin

Wii fans setting themselves up for disappointment.

Now its just like New Years. Counting down until the ball drops.

And hail in the rightful overload Sony.

Penguin said:
Wii fans setting themselves up for disappointment.

Now its just like New Years. Counting down until the ball drops.

And hail in the rightful overload Sony.
2wnok10.jpg

I think your vision is a bit damaged there mate.

This number is old. And btw. Nintendo is claiming that Wii has sold 800k in Germany, while GfK puts it at 728k, so either Nintendo is flat out lying or they have a different and/or more accurate source.
Either way for comparison purposes it probably makes more sense to take the GfK sales (if the difference in the rest of Europe between GfK/Charttrack and Nintendos own numbers would be the same as in Germany, Wii's user base according to independent market researchers should be more like ~5.5m).

RpgN

Yay? Great news for nintendo I guess. BTW since the wii was released in Europe, I've only seen two copies in stores in the Netherlands. It's always sold out! After a year that's really lame. Espeally for consumers who are interested in the wii (me! me!). For gamecube and VC games :D

Sadist

fresquito said:
Where, when?
Well, there was only Wiiz.fr who reported that Brawl wold arrive on that date. Other French media didn't report. And back in Holland, the biggest gamingsite there got a confirmation from Nintendo of Holland that this was all a big pile of shit. So... Europeans are still waiting.

flipping_heck said:
PAL gamers, boycot them! Join the US!!

i did and i've not looked back

it was xmas 1992, i had a SNES pal and enjoying Street Fighter 2, the most awaited game of the year.
after few months a friend of mine showed me his Super Famicom with Street Fighter 2, it was the last time i bought a Nintendo pal console...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Moor-Angol said:
it was xmas 1992, i had a SNES pal and enjoying Street Fighter 2, the most awaited game of the year.
after few months a friend of mine showed me his Super Famicom with Street Fighter 2, it was the last time i bought a Nintendo pal console...

LOGIC ERROR

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
How many Wiis has Nintendo sold WW? I'm assuming they've broken 20 million? I didnt see a press release issued for it, as Id assume they would do.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Slurpy said:
How many Wiis has Nintendo sold WW? I'm assuming they've broken 20 million? I didnt see a press release issued for it, as Id assume they would do.

IIRC they didn't issue a press release when they passed the 360 worldwide, so I'd imagine they would keep quiet about this as well.

fresquito said:
SNES =/= Super Famicom

Everything I've read stated that :

NES = Famicom
SNES = Super Famicom

Top Bottom