• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: NTDOY Q4 earnings report

kottila

BishopLamont said:
The infamous banned site has strikingly close LTD numbers for the DS and Wii and even by region. Not bad for a site with bullshit software numbers.

LTD for Wii is easy: ~1.5 million first 6 months (Including launch) + 1.8 million last 6 months = ~20 million

Farmboy

May be oldz already, but Eurogamer had an item on this that mentions some European software salesnumbers:

Wii Play is the most popular software title for the machine in Europe, with 2.3 million units sold to date. Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess have both racked up sales of 1.3 million, while Mario Party 8 has topped 1 million.
[...]
That includes 20 million [DS hardware] sold in Europe, where Nintendogs has been a big hit with 8 million copies sold. Brain Training and More Brain Training have done 5 million and 2.8 million respectively. More than 3 million copies of New Super Mario Bros. have been sold, while the figure for Mario Kart DS stands at 2 million.

Not bad.

Nutter

legend166 said:
How much has New Super Mario Bros sold in the USA?

It's at 8 million with just Japan and Europe alone. Crazy.

Its probably pretty close to 3M by now. As it passed 2Million in Dec 06

legend166

So 11m worldwide?

I can see it being the biggest selling, single SKU game this generation. Nintendogs will most likely be the biggest overall. 16 million worldwide or something.

farnham

Banned
How does the european sales compare to X360 or PS3..? I heard several claims that the PS3 is winning the war in Europe

So by March they should be at the 23-24 million unit mark?

Excellent.

Mr_Burns.png

Britprog

kottila said:
LTD for Wii is easy: ~1.5 million first 6 months (Including launch) + 1.8 million last 6 months = ~20 million

Thats a way to look at it, but in fact the shipment figures work out like this:

Oct - Dec 06 = 3.19M
Jan - Mar 07 = 2.65M
Apr - Jun 07 = 3.43M
Jul - Sep 07 = 3.9M
Oct - Dec 07 = 6.96M

Total =20.13M

ksamedi

Amazing software sales, but this can only happen to a broad audiance like the Wii's. The user rate per household of a Wii console is 3.5. Thats an amazing number and explains the excellent software sales.

RJT

farnham said:
How does the european sales compare to X360 or PS3..? I heard several claims that the PS3 is winning the war in Europe
It is definitely winning against X360, but not Wii.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
They made $2.4b net income in 9 months? Holy shit. Here come the > $3b net profit for the full year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
starship said:
They made $2.4b net income in 9 months? Holy shit. Here come the > $3b net profit for the full year.

Yep. This would easily place them above any Sony, Sega, or (obviously) Microsoft year ever.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:
Yep. This would easily place them above any Sony, Sega, or (obviously) Microsoft year ever.

They already made more than 1 billion last year right? I can't seem to recall Sony, MS or Sega ever doing more than 1 billion either. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyway, Nintendo is becoming very big with these profits, I mean 3 billion a year is even more than what google is earning.

EDIT: It seems that google has grown and has past past the 3 billion in 2006, they are expecting even more in fiscal 2007.

Jammy

Banned
farnham said:

:lol Did you hear that from spwolf or doicare?

PS3 is FAR behind Wii in Europe. In fact, most of the debating that goes on in the weekly PAL threads are about PS3 and 360 sales in "mainland" Europe and the like. PS3 IS more popular than Wii, though, in a couple of PAL countries like New Zealand, Switzerland, etc., but these are really just white noise when it comes to worldwide sales.

Britprog

re Nintendo planning on shipping 30M software for Wii in its 4th quarter,.

Nintendo increased its forecast from the previous quarter from 97M to 115M. It orginal forecast for Wii software in April 07 was 55M.

Maybe Wii fit will come out in the US and EU before the end March.

Macam

Banned
To whomever was asking about SMG unit sales, Eurogamer reports the following:

Nintendo has announced that its profits doubled between March and December last year as sales of the Wii rose by 85 per cent.

The company sold 14.29 million Wii units during the period. Lifetime sales for the console now stand at more than 20 million worldwide, with 6 million of those sold in Europe.

Wii Play is the most popular software title for the machine in Europe, with 2.3 million units sold to date. Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess have both racked up sales of 1.3 million, while Mario Party 8 has topped 1 million.

The DS isn't doing too badly either, with 24.5 million handhelds sold in the last nine months. That brings the total number of handhelds shifted to 64.79 million.

That includes 20 million sold in Europe, where Nintendogs has been a big hit with 8 million copies sold. Brain Training and More Brain Training have done 5 million and 2.8 million respectively. More than 3 million copies of New Super Mario Bros. have been sold, while the figure for Mario Kart DS stands at 2 million.

For the nine months of last year, Nintendo's net income stood at JPY 258.93 billion (USD 2.43bn / EUR 1.66bn). The company expects to shift an additional 4 million Wii consoles and 5 million DS units by the end of March this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Britprog said:
Maybe Wii fit will come out in the US and EU before the end March.

I'm not sure. It'd be odd for Nintendo to do a double lynchpin product launch in the same month, and especially odd to not have announced a title by the quarter that it's released in. Q2 is probably more likely.

Culex

Banned
Pretty damn scary that Nintendo shipped (and with all probability sold) 3 million more units worldwide than MS did with a full year head start.

Jammy

Banned
So... Super Mario Galaxy has sold...

1.3 million in Europe
.84 million in Japan
2.52 million in the U.S.

I'd imagine by the end of this month the game will have sold 5 million worldwide. :D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A quickie before I'm off to work...

dance4nintendo.gif

Britprog

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure. It'd be odd for Nintendo to do a double lynchpin product launch in the same month, and especially odd to not have announced a title by the quarter that it's released in. Q2 is probably more likely.

I know it doesn't make sense nintendo releasing two big games in the same quarter, but it would make sense to do so to sell/ship the 30M software they are predicting.

Talamius

So when does Nintendo get to bust out the "Battle for 2nd place still undecided but it's moot" powerpoint presentation?

ziran

$2.4 billion profit in 9 months! :eek:

- By the end of March Wii will have shipped 24.34 million, so will surpass GC's LTD of 21.72 million any day now.
- DS sw sales have already surpassed total GBA sw sales in Japan and Europe (+ other).
- Already, Nintendo will reach its 300 million total fiscal year sw sales, the target Iwata talked about after last year's results.
- Nintendo has revised their Wii and DS shipments upwards, every quarter:
Wii = 14 million --> 16.5 million --> 17.5 million --> 18.5 million
DS = 22 million --> 26 million --> 28 million --> 29.5 million

Amazing figures really! Rise to heaven indeed.

Britprog

bbc said:
Wii and DS drive Nintendo profits

Nintendo has raised the sales forecast of the Wii
Profits at video games giant Nintendo have soared, boosted by booming sales of the Wii games machine.
Nintendo reported a third-quarter net profit of 126.5bn yen ($1.18bn, £604m), up 63% on last year.

Nintendo's Wii outsold rival machines from Microsoft and Sony in 2007 and the company raised its sales foreast for the current financial year.

Nintendo's biggest hit is the hand-held DS machine, which was last year's best selling games system.

Hit products

The company also raised its annual sales forecast for the DS to 29.5m units.

To meet demand, Nintendo twice raised production of the Wii last year, but shops still sold out over the holiday period.

It expects to sell 18.5 million machines in the current financial year.

But analysts are already wondering if the company has other hit products in the pipeline.

"Solid results, but the market's attention is already on the year ahead. I would like to see how the firm will maintain its growth for the next several years," said Takeshi Osawa, a senior fund manager at Norinchukin Zenkyoren Asset Management.

It funny how the BBC manage to put a negative spin when it comes to Nintendo.

C4Lukins

Britprog said:

The market is about growth not just big numbers. This was a fantastic year for them in both regards, but even if they maintain this sort of dominance, as far as investors are concerned they need to grow even larger for it to be a company to keep their eye on. It is not negative spin, they are just talking about their potential for further growth in the future.

ziran

Britprog said:
Well, the concern has been posted in all the articles from the financial press also, so they're just quoting, and it creates more drama ;)

It is a concern for the analysts because Nintendo shares are valued so highly. They're asking how is Nintendo going to maintain its sales and growth, which is valid.

IMO, there is significant growth to be had in Wii business, and part procurement problems are due to ease soon, so manufacture should rise a good amount, and Wii Fit has yet to launch outside Japan. As for DS, 30 million units in one year is a heck of a lot, and they may match it next year, but they would need more new innovative sw or a redesign for Japan, because sales will almost certainly be down in the region (from this year) otherwise.

In terms of system selling sw, which is key here, I don't believe Nintendo has anything to worry about. They have shown they are the strongest publisher and developer in the world in this regard and will no doubt have a line of innovative titles waiting in the wings for Wii, and I'm expecting some more surprises for DS.

I'm expecting another strong year for Nintendo 08-09, but they're unlikely to grow at the same rate as 07-08.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Talamius said:
So when does Nintendo get to bust out the "Battle for 2nd place still undecided but it's moot" powerpoint presentation?

If they haven't made it yet it should be prepared ASAP, nothing like a bit of a history lesson to really turn the screw, especially how Sony swaggered into this generation like they were invincible or something, oh how times change.

Anyway, going by those figures, Ninty made 2.43 BILLION DOLLARS of profit in 9 months? holy shit, that has to be the largest profit by a console maker ever, again, the profits per year chart that resides somwhere here needs updating soon.

farnham

Banned
Stop It said:
If they haven't made it yet it should be prepared ASAP, nothing like a bit of a history lesson to really turn the screw, especially how Sony swaggered into this generation like they were invincible or something, oh how times change.

Anyway, going by those figures, Ninty made 2.43 BILLION DOLLARS of profit in 9 months? holy shit, that has to be the largest profit by a console maker ever, again, the profits per year chart that resides somwhere here needs updating soon.

I remember when Kutaragi said... No kid in this world remembers the name nintendo anymore.. they only remember Playstation.. WE WON FOREVER

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
farnham said:
I remember when Kutaragi said... No kid in this world remembers the name nintendo anymore.. they only remember Playstation.. WE WON FOREVER

Wait, did he ever actually say anything like that? Link please!

farnham

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Wait, did he ever actually say anything like that? Link please!
Im trying to find that.. but it was in 2003 or something.. it was shortly before he announced the PSX (PS2 supreme only in Japan)

Well but there were other bold statements.. like Peter Moore saying.. "Nintendo gets all the 5 year olds and once they get some money and grow up we take them..s o yeah thanks Nintendo... " or something like that...

of course both are nothing against yamauchi

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
The DS has sold more than the GBA in Europe now.

The DS is now second in Japan, fourth in Europe, and seventh in the US. Next targets are passing the GB in Japan, and passing the SNES in USA. Both of these should happen this year. The rest of the US systems are 30+ million, the rest of the European systems are 40+ million. Can the DS be the worldwide number one ever? I'd say so.

Stumpokapow said:
The DS is now second in Japan, fourth in Europe, and seventh in the US. Next targets are passing the GB in Japan, and passing the SNES in USA. Both of these should happen this year. The rest of the US systems are 30+ million, the rest of the European systems are 40+ million. Can the DS be the worldwide number one ever? I'd say so.

I demand party hats for the celebration.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:

I think 150 million is not out of the question.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
farnham said:
Im trying to find that.. but it was in 2003 or something.. it was shortly before he announced the PSX (PS2 supreme only in Japan)

Well but there were other bold statements.. like Peter Moore saying.. "Nintendo gets all the 5 year olds and once they get some money and grow up we take them..s o yeah thanks Nintendo... " or something like that...

of course both are nothing against yamauchi

Indeed, both Sony and Microsoft have heavily borrowed from Nintendos "How to insult the opposition and look good doing so" Playbook, the problem is, it appears they only read circa 1997-2004 and we all know what happened during that period of Nintendos history.

KevinCow

Banned
I wonder what Nintendo will use that money for. Better advertising? More games?

My money's on them throwing it in their big vault and forgetting about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
I demand party hats for the celebration.

Given that next month I should cross 100 DS games and that I've purchased 3 DS's (1 phat, 2 lite), I'd say Nintendo owes me the party hat.

D.Lo

ksamedi said:
I think 150 million is not out of the question.
I can't see why more isn't possible. There's another re-design in it, and as far as the type of software that defines the platform is concerned there is plenty of grunt - it's much further ahead in the tech curve then the original Game Boy and GBA were in their times, particularly in screen quality and form factor, which are both top shelf for its category IMO.

Add to this third parties have only now gotten their act together on the damn thing, and 2008 could be an even bigger year IMO. Market saturation in Japan will slow it in that region, but Europe could easily make up for it if the right software keeps coming. And there's still a lot of potential growth in the US.

IMO the DS total is up to Nintendo. If they string it out like the original Game Boy, the sky isn't even a limit. And with PSP software sales floundering (ie the PSP business model is a total failure) Sony is in no position to pressure them on a timetable for a new machine next time around.

Top Bottom