• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 2022 TVs will have built in Stadia, GeForce Now and NFTs

ZywyPL

Banned
This is IMO the way for streaming services, to reach the people with displays, not the ones who already have a dedicated hardware. Because everyone has a TV anyway, so the potential userbase is already there.

Matt_Fox

This is IMO the way for streaming services, to reach the people with displays, not the ones who already have a dedicated hardware. Because everyone has a TV anyway, so the potential userbase is already there.

I saw the way the wind was blowing several years ago, the future of gaming is just a TV and a controller.

Sony are actually well placed to capitalise because they also make TVs. They can cross sell cloud gaming with their televisions - for example buy a Bravia, get a 12 month subscription to PlayStation Heaven (or whatever Sony end up calling it).

We may get a PlayStation 6 console, I don't think there's any chance we'll get a 7.

This NFT fucking thing will ruin us.
higher gpu prices, higher electronic prices
It is authorized on blockchain, so that's a lot of wasted energy....
As much as I hate NFTs, this is a shallow mindset on the blockchain space. Blockchain has actually pushed renewable energy tech, and majority of blockchains today don't use PoW (Proof of work). Not to mention that ETH will move to PoS (Proof of Stake) sometime this year, which will remove GPU mining in Ethereum.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As much as I hate NFTs, this is a shallow mindset on the blockchain space. Blockchain has actually pushed renewable energy tech, and majority of blockchains today don't use PoW (Proof of work). Not to mention that ETH will move to PoS (Proof of Stake) sometime this year, which will remove GPU mining in Ethereum.
I don't know much about it.
So You mean, that you don't need to have a ledger and calculate hashes ?

HarryKS

I can't believe this is an actual point being made. Both ways are stupendously silly. Both the fact that you believe the renewable spiel or even better, that you think the network will ever be updated.

It's so incredibly naive.

Last edited:

PrimeX

At this point I have Stadia on all my TVs one way or another. Usually another (chromecast) as the LG bullshit WebOS only suports it for 2020+ tvs . Kudos to Samsung for waking up.
Just a reminder: to be able to play Stadia in 4k you need Vp9 hardware decoding so this will not work on a lot of older sets.

I don't know much about it.
So You mean, that you don't need to have a ledger and calculate hashes ?
Ledger will still be intact, but new blocks will be created via different algorithm that is no where near as power intensive.

I can't believe this is an actual point being made. Both ways are stupendously silly. Both the fact that you believe the renewable spiel or even better, that you think the network will ever be updated.

It's so incredibly naive.
I've also got my doubts about ETH 2.0 but that doesn't change the fact that it eventually will upgrade. If it doesn't, some other chain will take over that is already using POS or some variant. Energy isn't much of a spiel, miners are incentized to mine at the cheapest energy rates available. Look at big miners like hut8 which will become carbon netruel by 2025, with majority of their power coming from Hydro-Quebec.

This doesn't change the fact that pretty much all NFTs are currently dog shit, but you are missing the valuable proposition of what the tech can do in the future.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There does not seem to be any exclusivity deals so we should one day see gamepass and maybe psnow on them too.

ZywyPL

Banned
I saw the way the wind was blowing several years ago, the future of gaming is just a TV and a controller.

Sony are actually well placed to capitalise because they also make TVs. They can cross sell cloud gaming with their televisions - for example buy a Bravia, get a 12 month subscription to PlayStation Heaven (or whatever Sony end up calling it).

We may get a PlayStation 6 console, I don't think there's any chance we'll get a 7.

I'm honestly surprised why on earth they aren't doing it, I was thinking about this years ago as well - they have the TVs already, they have PS Now which requires nothing but an internet connection, just pair the DS4 (now DS) with the TV and you're ready to go. I really think they missed a huge opportunity, they could've been the first to pave the way into cloud gaming, and it wouldn't cost them anything, just put a PSNow app by default on their TVs and that's it, zero cost, and then if people would want to try it out they would have to pay the subscription and but a controller, that's basically free. Plus, having such a feature could benefit their TV sales as well. It really doesn't make any sense at all for Sony for NOT bundling PSNow with their TVs...

zeomax

Look at big miners like hut8 which will become carbon netruel by 2025, with majority of their power coming from Hydro-Quebec.
It doesn't matter where the power comes from it is still a huge waste of energy for nothing that could be better used elsewhere.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Can't wait to waste my money on image links.. Ads in your mobile apps, ads in your TV menus, autoplaying apps, not uninstallable apps, Stadia, NFT.. Thanks Samsung..

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Does Samsung make good gaming tvs?

I wish we had plain tvs again with no smart features. I don’t need adds in my tvs. I guess only plug in for updates is an option…

Kdad

I can add all this to a TV, and not have too chuck the TV in 2 years when new software comes out, with a 30$ ONN Walmart dongle FFS.
Its useless garbage adding it to the panel.

clintar

Explain it to me like I’m 5: none of the software these TV’s run are demanding at all. Why don’t all TV’s stretching back like 5 years get the next years updates too. Very, very few people will buy a TV more than once every 8-10 years. It’s a stupid carrot to dangle cause no one bites. It just pisses off your customers. Every manufacturer is guilty of this.
It's cause they don't really care about the old models. Too much work to care.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Title: Samsung just made everything else OBSOLETE

"So yeah, while an LCD might actually still be better for the deck of your yacht, these new QD-OLEDs are closing the gap substantially"
This tech sure has my interest and look forward to seeing them in person

Gimme that OLED perfect blacks and gorgeous picture while being brighter, yes please

unclbenn

i bought a 75 inch qn85a during black friday and i'll never buy another samsung tv ever again. i got a defective tv stand with my set (only 3 of the 4 screws would secure into place with the 4th hole having no threads inside for the screw to latch onto) and was told it would be covered under my warranty with samsung. i made an account and registered my tv in hopes that it would make fixing this issue easier, unfortunately every representative i talked to told me the exact same thing "we've escalated your matter and will get back to you in 3-5 business days". i went back and forth with samsung for a month and never got a single reply back from them. the worst part is the tv is fantastic, everyone online gave them shit for using ads panels in there 2021 lineup but in real world viewing it blows all my other tvs away. i hope with these new tv annoucements i'll be able to grab a sony or lg oled in the spring at a reduced price.

No Game Pass? And I wonder what controllers are supported. But yeah, streaming directly to the TV is the most obvious way to do it.

Top Bottom