• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung completes development of 5nm EUV.

Leonidas

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced that its 5-nanometer (nm) FinFET process technology is complete in its development and is now ready for customers' samples. By adding another cutting-edge node to its extreme ultraviolet (EUV)-based process offerings, Samsung is proving once again its leadership in the advanced foundry market.

Source

This happens just one year after they completed 7nm development.

We could see 5nm GPUs in 2020. Great to see process technology continuing to advance :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony should have joined the foundry market when it could like early 2000s.

They did... then they had to back out as they did not have the infrastructure or the capacity to serve all those customers like UMC, GloFo, and TSMC do... plus they were making their own chips and competing against the people you would serve does not always breed trust.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Only 1.25x density over 7nm? Not good. For comparison, TSMC 5nm is 1.8x.

It would be nice to see a comparison with the 7nm, 7nm+, and 5nm (last two are with EUV). Getting those ramped up and producing efficiently must be a monumental effort...

Shin

Banned
Only 1.25x density over 7nm? Not good. For comparison, TSMC 5nm is 1.8x.
Just yesterday I was reading that they'll lose their market leader position in the semi conductor business to Intel.
In the bigger picture things aren't going well for them in a lot of sectors.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I hate how this has become a marketing ploy.

Is Intel the only company using nanometers to actually measure its transistor size?

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ouch... power consumption any better?
Should be inferrable from the same chart, give me a sec..

TSMC power consumption progression:
7-to-7+: 0.9x
7+-to-5: 0.89x
7-to-5: 0.8x

Samsung:

Clearly much more in line with a proper full node transition.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Should be inferrable from the same chart, give me a sec..

TSMC power consumption progression:
7-to-7+: 0.9x
7+-to-5: 0.89x

Samsung:

Clearly much more in line with a proper full node transition.

Indeed, it unless Samsung figures out a way to drive the predicted EUV and 5nm development costs down, I would choose TSMC as it does lead the pack in density and has the same power consumption reduction potential as Samsung’s one... on the other side of the coin Apple has taken a huge chunk of 7nm and 5nm orders from TSMC with scraps going to big bulk orders like the consoles’ APU’s coming next year (7nm, 5nm will be clearly Apple) and Samsung has itself as big client and maybe a bit more capacity as a foundry... interesting...

Top Bottom