• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Launching 34-inch Ultrawide OLED Monitor - Better vs 42" LG C2 for Gaming?

ParaSeoul

Samsung will be launching 34-inch OLED monitors next year, which should be ultrawide with 21:9 aspect ratio. The information came from a QD-OLED product roadmap shared by Samsung Display's CEO Mr Joo-Sun Choi during internal meetings with company executives, as reported by EDaily Korea:

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Do consoles even utilize the 21:9 aspect ration? If not, this is ignoring the entire market. How many games actually support 21:9 on PC?

In any case, when HDTVTest said that it might cost more than the 42" LG OLED, I think I'll stick with the 42" LG OLED.

ParaSeoul

Do consoles even utilize the 21:9 aspect ration? If not, this is ignoring the entire market. How many games actually support 21:9 on PC?

In any case, when HDTVTest said that it might cost more than the 42" LG OLED, I think I'll stick with the 42" LG OLED.
Only console game I know with ultra wide support is Death Stranding Directors cut and yeah Samsung's paying the price for giving up on OLED early on

Reactions: HTK

GreatnessRD

Let's not go overboard with the OLED worship, OLED is the best in dark rooms, doesn't mean premium LCDs are sub par in comparison.
That's why you get the best of both worlds.

SammySung for the Living Room

Let's Go for the ManCave

Happy Monday Night Raw GIF by WWE

Ulysses 31

If you want a Premium LCD that can compete with OLED (so with GREAT local dimming) then it gets more expensive than an OLED....

It simply doesn't make sense
If we talking bright rooms then yeah there are use cases OLEDs will lose out against similar/cheaper priced LCDs.

A.Romero

One more LCD vs OLED thread?

On topic: The more options the better. I think LG is priced competitively but some additional pressure is always welcome.

amc

Man I love my Oled, it's beautiful and huge, 77" C1. But I also have a flagship Samsung full array 65" Q9FN from a few years back and in some cases it's a better screen than my Oled. Yeah, overall I'd take the C1 but it certainly doesn't destroy my Q9FN, bright HDR games look incredible on the Samsung, better than the C1.

Too many people base their only knowledge of owning shit LCD and jumping to Oled, fair enough, it'll be an epiphany but don't think all LCD's can't give Oled a close race, they certainly can, I'm sitting in front of one now and looking through to the living room at my Oled as I type.

Oled cult needs to chill.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'd rather have Samsung launching an UWQHD 34" version of their Neo G9 with mini LED than an OLED panel, umless it's significantly cheaper.

I love my LG C9 and I refuse to use anything other than OLED in my phones and tablets, but I'm not so sure I'd trust my windows desktop with constantly burning elements like the taskbar to an OLED screen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It could be an amazing monitor, but I doubt it will be worth the (likely) huge price premium it will command. However, one advantage it COULD have is that it's possible that Samsung could put an Display Port 1.4, which would enable 4K/144 Hz using DSC.

At the end of the day, it depends on one thing: Price.

ParaSeoul

Too many people base their only knowledge of owning shit LCD and jumping to Oled
I was in a similar boat I was going to choose between the QN90A and C1,C1 was cheaper come black friday so I got that but I would be happy with either.

Hezekiah

Banned
Not in the premium segment

Samsung sells more because the top selling TV are always cheap LCDs.

But if you care about quality it's basically OLED or nothing right now...
Watch some of HDTVs reviews of Samsung QLEDs over the past few years and you'll see that this isn't true.

Rickyiez

16:9 contents will just end up with 27" screen estate .

Don't get me wrong I've a great 144hz 34" ultrawide but sometime when I'm watching normal wide contents and too lazy to go out to living room , I always wished that it's a 42" 16:9 screen .

That said , upcoming LG 42" Oled will be perfect for my desk

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Using an OLED panel for a PC monitor with all the static imagery, like the taskbar for example, seems like an invitation to Burn-in.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Using an OLED panel for a PC monitor with all the static imagery, like the taskbar for example, seems like an invitation to Burn-in.

That's why the first thing you do is turn on "auto hide the taskbar".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the 42" oled is essentially an ultrawide if you want.
I don't trust in samsung QA and their oled burn in prevention technologies.
LG got this in the bag.
I have 48" c1 and no way I am downgrading to 42"

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That was just one example out of many.....

And one solution out of many. As long as you aren't putting the same shit in the same place every day and cranking the brightness up to an absurd level for a PC monitor, chances are you'll be just fine.

old-parts

Why doesn't anyone make a 25-27 in. Oled monitor? There is clearly a market for it.

Because the factories have to be built for it, these cost billions of dollars.

At the moment Samsung has been taking its existing AMOLED factories and pushing out 17" as the maximum it can do, these are the OLED panels used in laptops. Samsung is in the process over past few years changing some of its factories to produce its new QD-OLED panels.

LG OLED's factories are all geared for large TV's.

Japan OLED uses an alternate method of printing OLED displays up to 32" but the cost of doing this is extremely high with end product being 3-4 thousand dollars in price.

There is also the factor that PC monitors using OLED have a much higher risk of burn in than TV's, the huge number of static elements mean PC OLED displays are only suitable for occasional use and not always on. I'm not confident OLED is suitable for general PC gaming market, maybe as second display with LCD for PC desktop usage.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
sure. Better DPI for sure.
But it's better than I expected with 48.
I am coming from 27" 4k monitor !
When a 4K 38" OLED is released with all the bugs out of the way, I'm all in for an OLED - until then I'm an IPS 27"-kindda guy.

Why doesn't anyone make a 25-27 in. Oled monitor? There is clearly a market for it.

LG Display said they will go down every year to complete the 20-30 range...

I think they already started producing a 31" panel BUT only @1080p resolution to reduce costs

See here

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Man I love my Oled, it's beautiful and huge, 77" C1. But I also have a flagship Samsung full array 65" Q9FN from a few years back and in some cases it's a better screen than my Oled. Yeah, overall I'd take the C1 but it certainly doesn't destroy my Q9FN, bright HDR games look incredible on the Samsung, better than the C1.

Too many people base their only knowledge of owning shit LCD and jumping to Oled, fair enough, it'll be an epiphany but don't think all LCD's can't give Oled a close race, they certainly can, I'm sitting in front of one now and looking through to the living room at my Oled as I type.

Oled cult needs to chill.

I'm in agreement but also both our experiences are extremely skewed to the average LCD user, since your Samsung LCD is one of only maybe 2 I would say have a chance against OLED dimming-wise and smash it in the area of peak brightness. I have a Sony ZD9 and its amazing in the same way you describe vs. my OLED but you can't buy it anymore and the current Sony (and almost all of the Samsung) LCD lineup is subpar in comparison to the brightness of ours and especially for dimming capability so unless someone wants to buy preowned they can't really get anything close to it.

The new miniLED Samsung flagship has a crazy number of zones but the system is slow to catch up with movement and thats a no go imo.

ParaSeoul

I'm in agreement but also both our experiences are extremely skewed to the average LCD user, since your Samsung LCD is one of only maybe 2 I would say have a chance against OLED dimming-wise and smash it in the area of peak brightness. I have a Sony ZD9 and its amazing in the same way you describe vs. my OLED but you can't buy it anymore and the current Sony (and almost all of the Samsung) LCD lineup is subpar in comparison to the brightness of ours and especially for dimming capability so unless someone wants to buy preowned they can't really get anything close to it.

The new miniLED Samsung flagship has a crazy number of zones but the system is slow to catch up with movement and thats a no go imo.
Yeah the LCDs tend to struggle more in game mode than OLEDs

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
the 42" oled is essentially an ultrawide if you want.
I don't trust in samsung QA and their oled burn in prevention technologies.
LG got this in the bag.
I have 48" c1 and no way I am downgrading to 42"
Same here. If people are REALLY worried about. Buy a cheap 1080p monitor and use the OLED as a gaming monitor.

Thats what I do.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
by the way.
Having goo(d) speakers in a TV is a blessing.
Super clean setup, no wires and lg c1 sounds "almost" as good as my old presonus e3.5. Just set it in cinema audio mode and bass boost (in th etv settings).
There are 2x28w speakers inside. It's no slouch.. People tend to think it's crap because they leave it at default with ai crap turned on and in game optimizer mode... which the tv defaults to whenever it fucking wants lol

Last edited:

Kuranghi

by the way.
Having goo speakers in a TV is a blessing.
Super clean setup, no wires and lg c1 sounds "almost" as good as my old presonus e3.5. Just set it in cinema audio mode and bass boost (in th etv settings).
There are 2x28w speakers inside. It's no slouch.. People tend to think it's crap because they leave it at default with ai crap turned on and in game optimizer mode... which the tv defaults to whenever it fucking wants lol

giphy.gif

Flubber speakers!

:messenger_heart:

ParaSeoul

by the way.
Having goo(d) speakers in a TV is a blessing.
the game ai shit also turns back on every time you turn it off

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Tons officially, and with tweaks, almost everyone...

Haggard

Banned
And one solution out of many. As long as you aren't putting the same shit in the same place every day and cranking the brightness up to an absurd level for a PC monitor, chances are you'll be just fine.
riiight, because buying a monitor with inherent technical weaknesses you have to adapt your workflow around makes SO MUCH sense......

Last edited:

AV

riiight, because buying a monitor with inherent technical weaknesses you have to adapt your workflow around makes SO MUCH sense......

What am I adapting? Not leaving the same windows in place for 8 hours a day without a screensaver, really? That's about the level of laziness I expect from the burn-in brigade at this point honestly

nikos

Pretty sure the monitor being ultrawide is an assumption due to its 34” size, nothing has been confirmed. I currently have a 38” 21:9 and 49” 32:9, so this is going to be too small for me. Hope we see more OLED ultrawides soon. 16:9 needs to go, the same way 4:3 did.

Top Bottom