• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Launching 34-inch Ultrawide OLED Monitor - Better vs 42" LG C2 for Gaming?

Kuranghi

Yeah the LCDs tend to struggle more in game mode than OLEDs

Not sure if you meant to reply to me but yeah they do these days, but not with my ZD9 or the Q9FN (afaik for latter, I have no personal experience with it), the local dimming is just as good in game mode. Its only these recent Samsungs that have had that issue, I believe as a way to get as low input lag as LG OLEDs. A lot of Samsung's dimming "quality" appears to be achieved through software rather than complex HW configurations so when you remove/lessen the amount of processing the image looks like jobby.

Pretty sure the monitor being ultrawide is an assumption due to its 34” size, nothing has been confirmed. I currently have a 38” 21:9 and 49” 32:9, so this is going to be too small for me. Hope we see more OLED ultrawides soon. 16:9 needs to go, the same way 4:3 did.

16:9 will be the standard for the next 3 decades...

PC gamers always complain about everything: they keep saying that DisplayPort should replace HDMI but everyone knows that's never going to happen...

Same thing for aspect ratio: every broadcaster in the world uses 16:9 and it took 45 years for it to replace 4:3. It's not changing anytime soon

Last edited:
From my experience (as a Samsung Odyssey 9 QLED G95TSSR 49” and a LG OLED E9 55” in the same room) both have pros ans cons.

The immersion you get playing FH5 or RDR2 on 32:9 aspect ratio can’t be matched on any 16:9 TV, OLED, QLED, MiniLED, LED, etc.. but this is because the aspect ratio, not the panel.

On the other hand, I love my OLED E9, its crystal perfect quality and the black level it provides its outstanding, so for a standard 16:9 it would be my way to go, but once you discover the wonders of 32:9 well, then it’s a different story, if the games you are interested in support this aspect ratio then there’s no contest, and believe there are a lot of PC games that support it

Went from the ultra-ultra wide Odyssey G9 49" to a 48" C1 OLED. There's no looking back, even without the aspect ratio and 240hz.

A big oled screen as a monitor is a fucking bliss.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
What am I adapting? Not leaving the same windows in place for 8 hours a day without a screensaver, really? That's about the level of laziness I expect from the burn-in brigade at this point honestly
Because it is totally uncommon for pc workers to spend their whole day with 1-2 programs or have something like outlook or teams open at all times.......

"....Sorry boss, I killed my monitor because I was lazy and forgot that It doesn't survive not hiding the taskbar...."

The tech has inherent issues. Burn in, uneven subpixel deterioration, general light emission level deterioration etc... All things that the manufacturers actively fight with screen refresh cycles, pixel shift, auto dimming etc etc.
A normal movie watcher will probably never see an issue over the lifetime of the TV.
But putting the technology to use where it plays right into those weaknesses all day every day simply doesn't seem very smart. There are a lot of early adopters who used their LG Oleds as monitors that could write a song about it..... If there are end all solutions to those issues then we haven't seen them, yet.

But luckily for the manufacturers there are always idiots like you who'd rather accuse a person with a burned in monitor of lazyness instead of accepting the simple fact that the tech is not without its flaws.
Fanboys gotta fanboy I guess......

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Do consoles even utilize the 21:9 aspect ration? If not, this is ignoring the entire market. How many games actually support 21:9 on PC?

In any case, when HDTVTest said that it might cost more than the 42" LG OLED, I think I'll stick with the 42" LG OLED.
A lot on PC do. I have an an ultrawide.

Reactions: HTK

Zuzu

I'd like to know the resolution and refresh rate of this monitor. It sounds promising but I really want ultrawides to start pushing for higher ppi's than they currently offer. Most offer a ppi around the same as a 1440p 27 inch monitor. I know that this does offer good image quality, but there is still a difference compared to a 4k 27 inch monitor. I want them to start pushing for ppis that are closer to what 4k 27 inch monitors offer.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Ultrawide is so ridiculous to me.
How so? I changed to ultrawide years ago and I will NEVER go back. I even have a LGCX OLED TV right next to me, but I often opt to use my lower res 1440p monitor just for depth of field or for movies that are in their original ratio. If that weren't enough, apps, particular for music and other types of production, are infinitely better as you get double the screen real estate which in many cases gives you a bigger overview of a project and allows you to work faster. Need one more reason? When working or browsing the internet in Windows, you can easily windows arrow key the windows to half the screen which is like have dual monitors without the gap, which is great when you are referencing something or going back and forth between two windows. There is no logical utilitarian argument I have seen against ultrawide except for maybe price and black bars on legacy media. Most people who are against it from what I've seen are just afraid to jump in, or are turned off by the aesthetic how the monitors look. Do yourself a favor and pickup a 34 inch ultrawide and see for yourself.

Brofist

That's why you get the best of both worlds.

SammySung for the Living Room

Let's Go for the ManCave

Happy Monday Night Raw GIF by WWE
This guy gets it. cheap Samsung in the kids room, LG in mine

ethomaz

Banned
How can 34" can be better for gaming in anything?

BTW the video picture shows the guy almost having an orgasm :D

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

How can I do that with my kids?
My LG OLED is on living room to everybody taste it at any time.
Ain't nothing wrong with that, homie.

I just know Chinese Harry Potter (HDTVTest) states Samsung is better for bright rooms. LG OLED is for sure a dark room/mancave necessity for me.

It will hopefully have >1ms response time, 120+ refresh, and the input latency of a gaming monitor, display port, gsync compatibility, etc.

The LGs are great but for mouse and keyboard, you can do better than 6ms latency.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Do consoles even utilize the 21:9 aspect ration? If not, this is ignoring the entire market. How many games actually support 21:9 on PC?

In any case, when HDTVTest said that it might cost more than the 42" LG OLED, I think I'll stick with the 42" LG OLED.

is this your reaction any time a ultrawide monitor is announced? they have been around for years and years.

cireza

Banned
Because of this.

Me playing Ikaruga on your recommended screen :
eaQL4WF.jpg

Me playing Street Fighter Zero 3 on your recommended screen :
1eLNrPz.jpg

Widescreen was already stupid (IMHO) for video-games because it makes many genres impractical, as well as limiting how well vertical level-designs can be applied in games. I play games, not movies. 4/3 was by far the best fit we ever had for video-games, and actually 1/1 would have been probably better, or at least interesting to see.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because it is totally uncommon for pc workers to spend their whole day with 1-2 programs or have something like outlook or teams open at all times.......

"....Sorry boss, I killed my monitor because I was lazy and forgot that It doesn't survive not hiding the taskbar...."

The tech has inherent issues. Burn in, uneven subpixel deterioration, general light emission level deterioration etc... All things that the manufacturers actively fight with screen refresh cycles, pixel shift, auto dimming etc etc.
A normal movie watcher will probably never see an issue over the lifetime of the TV.
But putting the technology to use where it plays right into those weaknesses all day every day simply doesn't seem very smart. There are a lot of early adopters who used their LG Oleds as monitors that could write a song about it..... If there are end all solutions to those issues then we haven't seen them, yet.

But luckily for the manufacturers there are always idiots like you who'd rather accuse a person with a burned in monitor of lazyness instead of accepting the simple fact that the tech is not without its flaws.
Fanboys gotta fanboy I guess......

Keep up the FUD up for all I care, It's literally as simple as being conscious not to have static elements on screen for too long. That's it. Hide your windows when you go for a coffee. Open your map now and then when you play a game. I've had my panel downstairs for 4 years now, almost daily use and not a spec of burn-in because I put in the minimum effort into preserving it. Year and a bit of my OLED monitor which I use for work and gaming sometimes 12+ hours a day. I'm well aware burn-in exists but on more modern panels it's almost always down to user misuse and they're in total denial about it.

I'd LOVE to see your monitor considering you were seriously fucking dumb enough to ask bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe TaSkBaR. That alone shows me the level of thought and care you're capable of with your belongings, wouldn't be surprised if you had the thing cranked up to peak brightness all day but I'm sure you'll tell me otherwise to make a point.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Keep up the FUD up for all I care
Dismissing simple technological facts as FUD....welcome to the internet. I´m sure the marketing department of every major panel manufacturer loves you.
Hide your windows when you go for a coffee. Open your map now and then when you play a game.
A monitor that needs a "don`t do this list" and constant awareness of possible "dangers" would be a seriously shitty monitor.
I'm well aware burn-in exists but on more modern panels it's almost always down to user misuse and they're in total denial about it.
god just what has to go wrong in someone`s life to get to such an utterly pathetic fanboy mentality.
If a manufacturer sells a product and it is used as what it is sold as and breaks, then it`s the manufacturers fault, not the customer`s.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Dumbfucks like you dismissing simple technological facts as FUD....welcome to the internet.

Sorry you pissed away money being incapable of using a device like a functioning adult, I guess.

Haggard

Banned
Sorry you pissed away money being incapable of using a device like a functioning adult, I guess.
I never had burn in, I still know what the tech is fit for and what should be avoided because I can accept technological facts, unlike certain retards.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Ain't nothing wrong with that, homie.

I just know Chinese Harry Potter (HDTVTest) states Samsung is better for bright rooms. LG OLED is for sure a dark room/mancave necessity for me.
Depends on how bright the room is,one window with blinds is fine but if you live an actual greenhouse it may be an issue

Ulysses 31

But you were the one who clicked a thread about OLEDs when you apparently have no interest in getting one.
I can still read about products coming out in the future even if I don't plan to get it initially.

Reading about it could peak my interest? 🤷‍♂️

And I have an OLED, the LG CX.

Last edited:

Three

I just recently got a 49 inch Super Ultrawide Samsung G95T. It weights a lot and is kind of on the thick side so going OLED would be good for samsungs design and black levels but I don't think they will get the 240hz and 1ms response time in these monitors.

gundalf

My money is ready, but sorry Samsung, its only for LG. Of course its great to finally see some movement in that sector :)

ParaSeoul

I just recently got a 49 inch Super Ultrawide Samsung G95T. It weights a lot and is kind of on the thick side so going OLED would be good for samsungs design and black levels but I don't think they will get the 240hz and 1ms response time in these monitors.
response time on oleds is already that low on tvs

Vasto

When are we going to get ultra wide tvs? I want a 65 inch Ultra Wide OLED in the living room.

dcx4610

I will never understand the curved appeal. It feels like a step back and going back to CRTs and their bubble. I'm not someone who is constantly sitting perfectly still in front of their monitor and that's the only way curved works.

Give me the option of non-curved and I'm interested. Otherwise, a big nope.

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

I think I would rather have the LG 42" myself. When not gaming I would rather have more height than width for work. I'm holding out for more ground for 16: 10 or 3:2 monitors to become a thing.

PerfectDark

Banned
LG C1 48" was $1100. I know for a fact the 42" will never be cheaper than that. And that Samsung monitor will be like $1800.
Not sure I would trust oled with a PC that screams burn in. Definitely not use a $2k oled on my PC.

I have had a couple Oled TV's for a few years now. Can never go back. I would just want a 27" oled monitor for like $600.

Top Bottom