• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Launching 34-inch Ultrawide OLED Monitor - Better vs 42" LG C2 for Gaming?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Of course it is. LG OLED C2 is a TV series like C1

But when you can get 4K@120hz who cares?

HDMI and DP can do the same things now...
I was just curious. With DP 2.0 expected to be in the new cards next year, multiple 4k/144 monitors are supported. Even 2 8k/144 with DSC are supported. DP is more future proof if that concerns you.

But yeah, currently it doesn't matter.

I was just curious. With DP 2.0 expected to be in the new cards next year, multiple 4k/144 monitors are supported. Even 2 8k/144 with DSC are supported. DP is more future proof if that concerns you.

But yeah, currently it doesn't matter.

you can “future proof” the graphics card but you can’t do it with the display.

For a 4k/120hz display those specs are useless

Filben

2000 EUR price tag incoming.

Sorry, not worth it although it's actually what I want. In the end it's just a device displaying images. And I won't paying a ridiculous amount of money for a device that does the same thing as traditional displays only better.

And I say that owning a OLED TV and really loving it and wouldn't want to go back. But that TV cost me 1000 EUR and I doubt, seeing the abysmal PC monitor market, that thing will come anywhere near that price.

ParaSeoul

2000 EUR price tag incoming.

Sorry, not worth it although it's actually what I want. In the end it's just a device displaying images. And I won't paying a ridiculous amount of money for a device that does the same thing as traditional displays only better.

And I say that owning a OLED TV and really loving it and wouldn't want to go back. But that TV cost me 1000 EUR and I doubt, seeing the abysmal PC monitor market, that thing will come anywhere near that price.
If you have an OLED tv you dont need this

Filben

If you have an OLED tv you dont need this
My OLED isn't 21:9 though and I still like to not game on my TV via PC every now and then but at my desk instead.

If I could get the exact same TV I already have in curved 34 inch and 21:9 for under 1000 bucks I'd buy it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Of course it is. LG OLED C2 is a TV series like C1

But when you can get 4K@120hz who cares?

HDMI and DP can do the same things now...

Well, some of us use 240Hz monitors. But for HDMI I guess that's included as well now - But not OLED?

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
One port? You would still need a DisplayPort IN AND a DisplayPort OUT on the display for it to work properly....

So it's one port on the PC but not on the display
Obviously.
It's the best display money can buy that can also be used as a monitor (for me it's the only use, as it's way too small for movies/cinematic games).

Win-win.
I thought it was delayed until next year? Or was that just the 42"? I'd personally just wait for 8k at this point, as 4k is old hat now.

GG on hijacking this thread btw. Ultrawides are a better buy right now if you're in that market.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Because its 21:9. Fills more of your viewing angle and curves around you (if the screen is curved). Far more immersive than flat 16:9. I'd trade that for size any day. You can sit closer comfortably.
A 42" is still wider than a 34" 21:9 without feeling claustrophobic with the non existent vertical resolution.

Dream-Knife

Banned
A 42" is still wider than a 34" 21:9 without feeling claustrophobic with the non existent vertical resolution.
You could say that 16:10 or 16:9 is claustrophobic compared to 4:3 as well.

Have you ever used two monitors side by side? Now imagine that without a border, and add a curve.

hyperbertha

You can't sit as close to the 42 as you can with the ultrawide without losing fov and making the game practically unplayable. You can sit very close to the ultrawide and it will fill more of your vision without you losing any fov. Not to mention the effect of the curve which is awesome.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
You can't sit as close to the 42 as you can with the ultrawide without losing fov and making the game practically unplayable. You can sit very close to the ultrawide and it will fill more of your vision without you losing any fov. Not to mention the effect of the curve which is awesome.
I'm not sure what you mean my 43" monitor is fantastic for both games and work. Extremely immersive. While the ultrawide I tried looks like I'm gaming through a cylon visor and pretty much unusable for work due to the lack of vertical resolution.

People even use the 48" OLEDS as monitors and they love them. You get used to the size pretty quick and you can't go back to something smaller.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I'm not sure what you mean my 43" monitor is fantastic for both games and work. Extremely immersive. While the ultrawide I tried looks like I'm gaming through a cylon visor and pretty much unusable for work due to the lack of vertical resolution.

People even use the 48" OLEDS as monitors and they love them. You get used to the size pretty quick and you can't go back to something smaller.
If you sit close enough to the 43" as you can on the ultrawide, you won't be able to play games or anything really. Its not a case of getting used to it you literally can't see the whole screen without significantly moving your head up and down. The fov you get on a curved ultrawide especially 32:9 is almost VR level. The curved is what allows for larger fovs. You can't have large fovs on a flat screen without breaking immersion.

Top Bottom