• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung unveils The Odyssey: first 1000R Curvature QLED display monitor, 240hz refresh rate, WQHD; 2560x1440 resolution

EDIT: Meant to put The Odyssey G7, not just The Odyssey, my bad

Odyssey-G7_dl1-1-740x472.jpg

The Samsung Odyssey G7 Monitor Features A QLED Display With A 240Hz Refresh Rate
The G7 monitor is the world’s first 1000R gaming monitor, meaning it boasts a curvature radius of 1,000 millimeters. It also features a powerful combination of various features under the hood, including rapid 1ms response time with 240Hz refresh rate and crystal clear QLED picture quality to satisfy gamers’ need for smooth and captivating gameplay. The Odyssey portfolio’s premium performance has been certified by TÜV Rheinland, a leading international certification organization, which recognized the monitors with the industry's best high performance 1000R curved display and ‘Eye Comfort’ certificate.

Odyssey-G7_dl5-1-740x493.jpg

The 27- and 32-inch G7 delivers a rapid, 240Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and deep 1000R curvature, giving games an edge. Gamers can also benefit from Wide Quad-High Definition (WQHD; 2,560×1,440 resolution), 16:9 aspect ratio, 600 cd/m peak brightness, and Quantum dot technology for exceptionally accurate color presentation regardless of lighting. Samsung also incorporated futuristic design elements based on observation of market trends and feedback gathered from consumers. The matte black exterior is paired with a color-changing rear core lighting system that can remain static or dim during gameplay, as well as change colors based on the preferences of the gamer.

Samsung’s latest curved gaming monitor, the G7, also supports NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatibility and Adaptive-Sync on DP1.4, offering players exceptionally dynamic and seamless gameplay during any scenario. Samsung Odyssey G7 will be available in June globally.

specs

Screenshot-68.png

I am currently rocking a curved 1440p Sammy (144hz). It has awesome gaming performance but have been looking at possible upgrades. This looks pretty slick, similar stand to the Sammy I have now.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Samsung QLED monitors look good on paper, but they all have very mediocre response times, much worse than IPS. I don't think it will be good for 240 Hz. On top of that, HDR 600 is probably bullshit. If it's anything like Samsung HG70, in reality peak brightness never exceeds ~400 and tone mapping is bad. There's also a problem with disgustingly bad uniformity on curved screens.

Last edited:
Samsung QLED monitors look good on paper, but they all have very mediocre response times, much worse than IPS. I don't think it will be good for 240 Hz. On top of that, HDR 600 is probably bullshit. If it's anything like Samsung HG70, in reality peak brightness never exceeds ~400 and tone mapping is bad. There's also a problem with disgustingly bad uniformity on curved screens.

In my monitor shopping over the last few years it seems there isn't a perfect setup. Each approach/panel/whatever has pros and cons. I settled on my current Sammy 1440p VA panel for its incredible input latency and solid image but it has drawbacks.

This looks great on paper but as you said it has weaknesses. I just look for good value with enough pros outweighing cons

Biggest things for me are input latency, response times, and clarity/depth of picture

dotnotbot

In my monitor shopping over the last few years it seems there isn't a perfect setup. Each approach/panel/whatever has pros and cons. I settled on my current Sammy 1440p VA panel for its incredible input latency and solid image but it has drawbacks.

This looks great on paper but as you said it has weaknesses. I just look for good value with enough pros outweighing cons

Biggest things for me are input latency, response times, and clarity/depth of picture

I just wish Samsung would improve VAs in monitors, cause it definitely is possible. VA TVs have better contrast, better response times, uniformity, viewing angles, literally everyting could be improved. PC monitors really lack some premium options.

Kuranghi

Why do you need to make a monitor curved if its an OLED panel? AFAIK curving a panel is to ensure uniformity of the colour and contrast of the image, epsecially for monitors because you are so close to them.

Does it provide from some of reaction benefit for twitch games or something? Like you see the enemy in your peripheral vision more easily/quicker?

I know OLED still doesn't truly have perfect viewing angles but I don't think you could see the difference in the colour in the middle of the screen vs the edge without measurement tools, ie not by human eye.

Rikkori

Well said, and on top of that it's gonna be overpriced to hell and back again. Not surprised though, as disappointing as Samsung's been with monitors, they're pulling all sorts of shenanigans with the TVs too. It's a brand that sells purely on marketing now.

Fnord

Why do you need to make a monitor curved if its an OLED panel? AFAIK curving a panel is to ensure uniformity of the colour and contrast of the image, epsecially for monitors because you are so close to them.

Does it provide from some of reaction benefit for twitch games or something? Like you see the enemy in your peripheral vision more easily/quicker?

I know OLED still doesn't truly have perfect viewing angles but I don't think you could see the difference in the colour in the middle of the screen vs the edge without measurement tools, ie not by human eye.

Immersion. Curved TVs don't make a lick of sense. Curved monitors, I can see having a use for the sake of immersion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Correct. Gaming monitor makers have thrown all their eggs into having the highest refresh rates but not image quality.

Once there are true HDMI 2.1 video cards LGs OLEDs will end up being the best all around monitors. They will have the absolute best image quality and have high enough refresh rates for all but the most competitive of gamers.

gypsygib

Way too pricey for not even having a gsync module. Freesync panels are normally cheaper. And curved monitors/screens aren't my thing at all. Unless it was an ultrawide.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They don't state is ips. So it is va. Then it's ghosting no matter if 240hz. And gamma shift, and va gamma cone... And Samsung curved crumbled paper effect...
And 1440p is kinda ending is life. I would look at 360hz 1080p monitors or 4k monitors. Only ips. I had way too many va... They always suck. And Samsung va usually have half pixels which is crap.
Quantum dot is just a name for another phosphorus panel to reach higher dci p3 values. Still lcd and still shit hdr if not using thousand of dimming zones. So it will oversaturate sdr content but will look like crap in hdr mode...
Qled just sounds a lot like oled so people get it.
And curved sucks ass... Garbage

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

Its "Q" Led homie.

Kuranghi

QLED, more like... POO-LED!

Thats a joke me and my Sony colleague used to make. Everyone loved us in that shop. Especially the Samsung guys.

Its their fault though, they were pure assholes to us at Sony (and LG reps) lol they had 40-50% of the share of business in the store and Sony had like ~20% but they acted like they should have 100% because they thought everyone buying Samsung meant it was the best 🤦

Yeah guys the most popular thing is always the best thing, thats why Avatar is the best film every made... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This will most likely be mine.. I have a 144Hz Qled monitor already and have almost only good things to say about it, and this appears to be a nice upgrade.

Will wait for reviews though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom