• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown 64 and SNK’s entry into the 3D market

VGEsoterica

As a long time SNK fan with too many AES games on my shelf, I’ve always loved and enjoyed SNK’s fighting franchises. Whether it’s the speed of KOF or the methodical nature and movement of the Samurai Shodown (or Spirits if you are in Japan) series, there really hasn’t been a SNK fighting game I didn’t want to check out.

If you believe the internet (and who does. It says vaccines are bad Lolol) you’d hear countless voices telling you the 3D entries in the series aren’t great...and that may be true for some of them ; but I definitely feel it’s NOT true for Samurai Shodown 64!

It’s interesting for sure to see a 2D company go 3D. Sure there will be some growing pains, and 64 is no different. The graphics are decent at best, but the overall gameplay and fighting system are absolutely worth checking out!

Any other fighting game or SNK fans get a chance to play 64 or its sequel 64 2?(terrible name haha. It’s “Warriors Rage in the US) I am curious who else has played these or what their thoughts are?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
For anyone interested this is about the best running Hyper Neo Geo game currently in Mame....just fired it up after seeing this topic and its come on quite a bit since the last time I tried it, the framerate is there (if you have the CPU for it) but the graphics glitches are quite numerous..

yi3ozUd.jpg

kunonabi

Played a lot of SS64 since my community college had a cab. Great game and my second favorite in the series. Its bit stiff but the presentation and dirty stuff the characters could do made it a blast to play.

Never played the sequel but it honestly looked much less interesting to me anyway.

VGEsoterica

Played a lot of SS64 since my community college had a cab. Great game and my second favorite in the series. Its bit stiff but the presentation and dirty stuff the characters could do made it a blast to play.

Never played the sequel but it honestly looked much less interesting to me anyway.

the sequel is good but it’s not as revolutionary as the original. It drops the full 3D play style for a 2D plane

I remember seeing this in the arcade back in the days. never really try it since since I like the 2D fighting games better but overall I feel it's still an interesting and fun game. the design was there at the very least.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

For anyone interested this is about the best running Hyper Neo Geo game currently in Mame....just fired it up after seeing this topic and its come on quite a bit since the last time I tried it, the framerate is there (if you have the CPU for it) but the graphics glitches are quite numerous..

yi3ozUd.jpg

for me it’s the audio. I emulated Beast Busters before I got the actual game and the audio was so garbled it basically hurt my ears too much to listen to it

VGEsoterica

pretty awesome you saw a cab. I’ve only ever seen Beast Busters in the wild as a cabinet. All the rest of the games I’ve only ever played via my supergun

VGEsoterica

I remember seeing this in the arcade back in the days. never really try it since since I like the 2D fighting games better but overall I feel it's still an interesting and fun game. the design was there at the very least.

yeah you have to give SNK credit. They really did try to add a lot of flourish and flare to the game to give it some life. It has some awesome 2D elements that are pretty legit too. Just wish the hardware was more powerful in the first place. But considering they wanted to release a home console variant of the Hyper I’m sure they weighed performance against cost when developing it

VGEsoterica

yi3ozUd.jpg

I just tried it in MAME again. They’ve come a decent bit along from the last time I tried it. Runs at full speed but still with graphical and audio glitching

McCheese

yi3ozUd.jpg

Those PC specs are leading me to suspect you might actually be a Doctor!

Hows the audio?

I agree, and i will say more: Samurai Shodown Sen is fun as hell. Come at me.

Both, s64 and sss have a scene on mikado arcade in Japan. Just search for tourneys!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I agree, and i will say more: Samurai Shodown Sen is fun as hell. Come at me.

Both, s64 and sss have a scene on mikado arcade in Japan. Just search for tourneys!

I'll have to look to see if there is any SS64 tournament footage online. Any links you know off hand? Glad to hear its still being enjoyed!

SpiceRacz

These Hyper NeoGeo cabs must be pretty rare. I've only seen one in my life, in Payson, Arizona with SamSho 64. I wasn't super impressed with the game tbh.

Here's a picture. It's behind the racing game.

9jKl6B4.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Those PC specs are leading me to suspect you might actually be a Doctor!

Hows the audio?

The audio is still quite glitchy, but the last time i tried it, prior to this thread, I can't recall there being any, so good progress.

...and if I were a real Doctor, those specs would read Ryzen 3950X & RTX Titan...SLi !

:messenger_beaming:

VGEsoterica

These Hyper NeoGeo cabs must be pretty rare. I've only seen one in my life, in Payson, Arizona with SamSho 64. I wasn't super impressed with the game tbh.

Here's a picture. It's behind the racing game.

9jKl6B4.jpg

never seen that cab. Looks legit. Also SF Rush. One of my dream home arcade games

VGEsoterica

How was this game compared to something like Toshinden?

I like the rhythm of the Sam Sho games more. 64 feels methodical and like it’s a game of “patience”. One strong attack and you can take 1/4 to 1/2 of your opponents health bar away. But if you whiff your attack you leave yourself open pretty badly since the movement is slower.

VGEsoterica

But if you are into the slower gameplay style but enjoy 2D check out “The Last Blade” and the sequel. It’s a slower paced game and an absolutely awesome series

kunonabi

How was this game compared to something like Toshinden?

Certainly more complex. It had the usual 3D fighter trappings of ring outs, 3D free movement, OTGs, juggles but it also had stages with multiple locations, a stamina system, and Samurai Shodown's Rage mechanic along with a revamped chain combo system from 4 with its own mind games.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

On the topic of the Hyper and just what it could do, here is a pretty comprehensive look at the hardware itself. Explains why the damn thing was so hard to apparently program for 😂

McCheese

Keep these videos coming please, loving them.

Can you sneak the 'Intro' animation into one of your videos please? I love the Iconic Neo-Geo splash on the AES and really want to know what the '64 does, I hope its a 3D version of it or something!

VGEsoterica

Keep these videos coming please, loving them.

Can you sneak the 'Intro' animation into one of your videos please? I love the Iconic Neo-Geo splash on the AES and really want to know what the '64 does, I hope its a 3D version of it or something!

I’ll toss it in soon. Just gotta put together from my captures :) but if you want it I’ll do it

VGEsoterica

u43Y7ru.jpg

I've been taking time to scan and photograph a bunch of my arcade art while working from home / staying isolated. Forgot I had the marquee stashed in the back of my closet. Sadly its seen better days but it came with the game when I bought it

Top Bottom