• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown 64 beta gameplay and story on where the one of a kind prototype was found

VGEsoterica

Mods : hope posting this is fine since it's a historical perspective article and I am dumping this for preservation...all 96 rom chips lolol (kill me now)

But this wasn't found in a personal collection...or from a YAJ auction...it was found IN A FIELD in California

Tons of changes and differences from the retail release and it's the first time any development hardware or betas have ever appeared from the Hyper Neo Geo 64

I'm curious who's ever played SS 64 though? It was rare AF back on release in the US and clearly hasn't gotten any better known

SpiceRacz

Played it for the first time a few years ago at a pizza parlor in Payson, AZ. You can see it in the back - it's a surprisingly large arcade cabinet.

AF1QipNyWI7Lnis7RwOlZ4LLHb_PkbcREpZ1KoEXX5fh=w720-h1144

I actually enjoyed the game and will probably dump some quarters in it whenever I end up going back.

GrayDock

Played twice in a shoping in Rio de Janeiro, but it was there for only two or three months. Incredible visuals and sound for it's time.
This is one of the games that we need emulation for.

VGEsoterica

Played it for the first time a few years ago at a pizza parlor in Payson, AZ. You can see it in the back - it's a surprisingly large arcade cabinet.

AF1QipNyWI7Lnis7RwOlZ4LLHb_PkbcREpZ1KoEXX5fh=w720-h1144

I actually enjoyed the game and will probably dump some quarters in it whenever I end up going back.
Yeah that cabinet is rare AF too. If I was closer I’d go make an offer on it myself lol

edit : also a Rush 2049 cab. Two awesome games in a row

Last edited:

kunonabi

My community college had a SS64 machine. It actually had a decent fighting library in general.

Virtua Fighter 4
Tekken Tag Tournament
Capcom vs SNK 2
Samurai Shodown 64
SNK vs Capcom Chaos
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Some of them came and went but SS64, CVS2, and TTT were the mainstays and had consistent player bases.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Played twice in a shoping in Rio de Janeiro, but it was there for only two or three months. Incredible visuals and sound for it's time.
This is one of the games that we need emulation for.

Most people seem to judge the HNG64 based on the PS1 port of Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, which is a completely neutered, downgraded version of the game. SS64 was a unique game for its time.

Emulation doesnt seem that far, games boot and enter attract mode.

VGEsoterica

Most people seem to judge the HNG64 based on the PS1 port of Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, which is a completely neutered, downgraded version of the game. SS64 was a unique game for its time.

Emulation doesnt seem that far, games boot and enter attract mode.
Yes the port is a huge downgrade compared to the Hyper. People also seem to think SS : Warriors Rage on PS1 is a port of the Hyper game. It’s a brand new (and bad game) game with the same title. So confusing

Meesh

That's incredible! I love the old shit... I always imagine all you videogame archeologists running around unearthing holy consoles that never were, preserving obscure relics that never saw the light of day...
At some point there needs to be a museum.

VGEsoterica

That's incredible! I love the old shit... I always imagine all you videogame archeologists running around unearthing holy consoles that never were, preserving obscure relics that never saw the light of day...
At some point there needs to be a museum.
“It belongs in a museum”!

Top Bottom