• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown |OT| Buddhists Too Much Damage!

Tesseract

Banned
yo homeys what's the verdict, been looking for a good fighter since sf5 was a mechanical flop (it kinda was don't lie)

no pc release yet is a bummer, and the netcode isn't so good?

Nymphae

Banned
yo homeys what's the verdict, been looking for a good fighter since sf5 was a mechanical flop (it kinda was don't lie)

no pc release yet is a bummer, and the netcode isn't so good?

Seems good so far aside from the netcode and lobby system, haven't heard too many people down on it yet. Reviews like to mention how light on content it is, but for my money it's fine in that regard, check out the modes in the OP. I've played MK less and it's brimming with SP content. It's all about the gameplay. I gave MK a shot, it just feels too clunky to me.

And I honestly still don't really get why people dislike SF5 so much. 4 had it's own issues and 3 was by all accounts an incredibly unbalanced game. I like that each game in the series is it's own beast and plays pretty differently from any before it. 5 has it's own issues as well but it's the one I've sunk the most hours into probably.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Seems good so far aside from the netcode and lobby system, haven't heard too many people down on it yet. Reviews like to mention how light on content it is, but for my money it's fine in that regard, check out the modes in the OP. I've played MK less and it's brimming with SP content. It's all about the gameplay. I gave MK a shot, it just feels too clunky to me.

And I honestly still don't really get why people dislike SF5 so much. 4 had it's own issues and 3 was by all accounts an incredibly unbalanced game. I like that each game in the series is it's own beast and plays pretty differently from any before it. 5 has it's own issues as well but honestly it's the one I've sunk the most hours into probably.

thanks for the response, def all about the game play here as well

i like sf5 but something about the tech felt off, maybe the footsies too, only put in like 100 hours before floundering back to my first person shooters

best looking fighter ever tho, goddamn gloriously animated

Last edited:

KAOS

Some Wallies...

M4zrehe.jpg

BUfjLpz.jpg

Uh8p4Bv.jpg

lKmoBGH.jpg

5IzgUHA.jpg

GITTYUA.jpg

gkdbEyP.jpg

9muYzpD.jpg

Last edited:

Barnabot

Great thread, Nymphae . It's a bummer that I'll wait until the PC version arises. But I'll make sure to bump this thread when I have the chance.

Pantz

Finally beat story mode with Yoshitora!

I struggled with her first form the most (still can't do all his special moves effectively without getting stressed out). So I decided to use rage explosion/lightning blade to finish her off at around 20% hp since I kept dieing trying to finish off that last 20%. Then in the second form it's easy enough to use the super special move on her normal form to unlock 7th special move and then since it's easy enough to beat her first round I could use his 7th special move without stress around 6-7 times to take her out. Well, that's my advice for any other scrubs out there.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This ended up looking way more tonally balanced in the visuals than previews made it seem. Went ahead and grabbed it since it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

Lots of nostaglia from playing SamSho2 in SNES late years along with SFA2.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
This ended up looking way more tonally balanced in the visuals than previews made it seem. Went ahead and grabbed it since it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

Yeah totally agree I think they really nailed the visuals from top to bottom, and the colours look great. In all of the previews I saw it looked washed out or very low contrast, but the final game just really pops, and I am in love with the sketchy effects they have on the character models, you can really see it well on the character select screen. I don't love most of the alternate costume colours, but whatever, the defaults are perfect.

Nymphae

Banned
The new Samurai Shodown was created because of the fan interest and 'sexy' characters like Shiki and Yoshitora were brought back to please fans too

The King of Fighters 14 was SNK's first attempt at a new major fighting game in many years after their prior move away from standard console and arcade releases. This gamble appears to have paved the way for the current trajectory of the company and made the newly released Samurai Shodown possible with fan support.

Speaking with Polygon just prior to Samurai Shodown's launch, Producer Yasuyuki Oda and Director Nobuyuki Kuroki revealed why the game was chosen within SNK as the next big title for them and their decision making process — and much of it boils down to fan support and fighting game community interest.

"The real push for it was because the fans really, really, really wanted it," said Oda via an interpreter. "A lot of the messages that we got were just like, 'When's the new Samurai Shodown? When are we going to get it?'"

Kuroki also brought up an online poll asking fans what they wanted to see from SNK after KOF14 where "Samurai Shodown was the easy winner." The new title's director felt that the game was distinct and could set itself apart from the rest of the current fighting game market to make an impact now.

Despite not having personally worked on the series during SamSho's 2D iterations, Oda and Kuroki are longtime veterans of SNK — though they did leave the company for a time to develop games at Dimps, the studio behind Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5 and many other fan favorites like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai.

The duo also spoke about the process of selecting legacy characters to bring back for the rebooted fighter talking about fans wanting some eye candy of both sexes leading to the return of Shiki and Yoshitora for fan interest.

"There are obviously going to be people that are critical about these types of things," said Oda. "But the fans really wanted characters like Shiki. They wanted characters like Yoshitora, you know? A very sexy playboy. So it might seem like it clashes with what we originally had in the early games, but each game is its own different iteration of a series. We decided that these are characters that people want, so we’re going to put them in the game."

Kuroki states that he conceptualized newcomer Yashamaru before handing it off to the character designer, Yumi Saji, with the instructions "I want a handsome guy in warrior's armor."

"I gave her the order, and she came up with everything," said Kuroki "It's one hundred percent her character, and she really knocked it out of the park, right from the very beginning."

We suggest you take a look at Oda and Kuroki's full Samurai Shodown feature on Polygon to learn more about how the fighting game came into being, how SNK initially struggled to adapt to the Unreal Engine 4 and Kuroki sneaking into other teams' offices at the company to sneak peeks at their game design documents.

Love to hear that, a developer catering to it's fans rather than trying to enlighten them.

If Capcom had half of that interest in its fans we would have had some Darkstalkers love by now.

They tested the waters with the Darkstalkers: Resurrection compilation but I don't think the interest was there when it came to actual sales. I personally would love to see it brought up to current generation but I can't see it happening at this point. I think their fighter division is probably all guns blazing on trying to win the Street Fighter crowd back. I'm part of that crowd. I only really played 5 for like a season and a bit then never went back. It doesn't feel like a Street Fighter to me. Crush counters can fuck off.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
They tested the waters with the Darkstalkers: Resurrection compilation but I don't think the interest was there when it came to actual sales

I don't get why they took that off the stores, I just found out that game existed a few months ago, went to buy it, and it's gone.

Ol'Scratch

They tested the waters with the Darkstalkers: Resurrection compilation but I don't think the interest was there when it came to actual sales. I personally would love to see it brought up to current generation but I can't see it happening at this point. I think their fighter division is probably all guns blazing on trying to win the Street Fighter crowd back. I'm part of that crowd. I only really played 5 for like a season and a bit then never went back. It doesn't feel like a Street Fighter to me. Crush counters can fuck off.
I would not even care if they just release Resurrection for the PS4/PC or even Switch. I am tired of these games getting buried in the past where I am forced to have to find other means to play them. It really can't be that difficult to port. And testing the waters, we see how that usually goes. It was a no effort release of two existing games with a filter and some viewing angles tacked on along with ggpo. The game received no hype, no build. Almost no advertising or any push at all. It was quite literally sent to die.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I only really played 5 for like a season and a bit then never went back. It doesn't feel like a Street Fighter to me. Crush counters can fuck off.
SF5 is a really good Street Fighter Alpha game, in my opinion. Crush counters (and other swingy mechanics) work well in that spinoff series.

But the problem is that it's SF5.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I am tired of these games getting buried in the past where I am forced to have to find other means to play them.

Yeah it's kind of amazing to me how they treat their own library. Well crafted fighting games can be played competitively forever, and you'd think in this era they'd be able to keep the legacy titles active and make some bank off of them, people are still playing them through unofficial means. Sure they aren't going to be AAA blockbusters, but it would help the scene, it would help the genre. Like 30th Anniversary collection is nice, but they could be doing so much more. They should be running something like Fightcade. As much as the term makes me cringe, fighting games are en esport, and they should be treated a little bit more like actual sports I think, rather than flavours of the year that fade away with time.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I love Street Fighter V, I genuinely do. I just think that V Trigger is a totally stupid mechanic and Fighting Chance and the rest of it is also. We do not need it. Pure fighting with a special bar leading to a special move is what fighting games should be. It is how it started and what most people fell in love with. Come back mechanics are killing the genre. Dumbing down is killing the genre. I am hoping people realize this with people enjoying SS (though it does have some modern touches that it did not need)

Ol'Scratch

Yeah it's kind of amazing to me how they treat their own library. Well crafted fighting games can be played competitively forever, and you'd think in this era they'd be able to keep the legacy titles active and make some bank off of them, people are still playing them through unofficial means. Sure they aren't going to be AAA blockbusters, but it would help the scene, it would help the genre. Like 30th Anniversary collection is nice, but they could be doing so much more. They should be running something like Fightcade. As much as the term makes me cringe, fighting games are en esport, and they should be treated a little bit more like actual sports I think, rather than flavours of the year that fade away with time.
Absolutely , and now that we have moved away from the days of "the cel" and everything is pretty much very similar transferring something forward from gen to gen should not be a huge task and it is quite literally money on the table as they can be on PSN or LIVE infinitely. Or hell just put them on PC so that generation does not matter. THAT is the easiest answer. PUT SHIT ON PC

Nymphae

Banned
Man I really gotta make it out to some of these. I recognized that OkDam dude from a local tournament I went to, cool to see him on a stream.

Have they cleaned up online any yet? I tried online once and it was rough, I thought it was my internet acting up but when I stuck in other fighters they were fine online.

The irony of this is that Marvel Origins and JoJo also bombed (I don't think 3rd Strike online was a huge hit either), I think even worse, yet when that happened Capcom just said something along the lines of people not caring about re-releses of old fighters anymore, which is why we've not seen much outside of the SF Anniversary Collection since.

Not saying a new Darkstalkers would be a major seller, but I just find it funny Capcom's whole excuse on the Darkstalkers situation is Darkstalkers Resurrection despite there other re-releases in the same time frame weren't doing any better, and they were bigger IP's.

I would be more into this news if someone else from SNK didn't say a complete 180 of this in regards to Iroha (even though I would pick Shiki myself if choosing between the 2).

Nymphae

Banned
Finally got all of the artwork unlocked. Not like that matters much, just wanted to cross it off the list lol. I wish they had included more concept art or something like that, the ending title cards are not really all that special, not like I'm gonna go look at those ever again.

Now I'm doing Gauntlet mode which is pretty cheap, single rounds so the CPU uses the lightning blade (I keep hearing people on streams refer to this as "Issen", not sure where it's referred to as that in game) every round, and you can just get fucked over. Plus at the end of it you have to 2 round the boss, ugh.

Enjay

Banned
I would be more into this news if someone else from SNK didn't say a complete 180 of this in regards to Iroha (even though I would pick Shiki myself if choosing between the 2).
Yeah that just reeks of damage control. They censored themselves for sure.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Aww. okay. :(

Don't let that discourage you! I think it's actually fairly accessible, the execution requirements are pretty low, and there are no big combos to pull off. It's all about spacing, timing, reading your opponent, etc. Sure every fighter is going to have people playing it at a high level, but I mean as far as fighters go, this one seems like a good fit for a beginner imo.

Belker

How accessible is this to a newbie?

Tried to learn the moves on past games but it never helps me.

What do you mean by 'newbie'? If you can do fireball and dragon punch motions - the classic ones from Street Fighter - then you can play the game.

Basically all the characters use the same motions, so once you learn how to control one you can pretty much control all of them.

What do you mean by 'newbie'? If you can do fireball and dragon punch motions - the classic ones from Street Fighter - then you can play the game.

Basically all the characters use the same motions, so once you learn how to control one you can pretty much control all of them.

Ah I see. That's good to know.

I mean the mechanics of Guard Breaks and stuff as it sounds like the timing could be hard to pull off.

Maybe I was playing the older games aggressively like a SF game.

Iroha is a stupid character anyway, totally not belongs to SamSho.
Good to know, if only the subject was about Iroha herself.
..........................................................................all your base belongs to SamSho.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Good to know, if only the subject was about Iroha herself.
..........................................................................all your base belongs to SamSho.
Yeah, no, I agree with the general sentiment about censorship. I think my post history speaks volumes about my stance on censorship, political correctness and thought control.

...but it's a good thing Iroha is out.

Belker

Ah I see. That's good to know.

I mean the mechanics of Guard Breaks and stuff as it sounds like the timing could be hard to pull off.

Maybe I was playing the older games aggressively like a SF game.

I've only played a little, but the guard break timing doesn't seem anymore difficult than other games. It might even be a bit more forgiving.

Nymphae

Banned
I've only played a little, but the guard break timing doesn't seem anymore difficult than other games. It might even be a bit more forgiving.

It's only difficult in that, yeah, it's hard to exactly time a fireball input to an incoming slash at close range. The input is easy, it's getting the right read and not whiffing it that's hard.

Last edited:

I am definitely interested in getting this game! I am pretty horrible at fighters to really get good really, but I like tactical games so it should be up my alley. :)

Enjay

Banned
I am definitely interested in getting this game! I am pretty horrible at fighters to really get good really, but I like tactical games so it should be up my alley. :)
There is way more to this than just spacing. It's the same experience as any other 2D fighter. The no combos thing (there are a good amount of good ones too) make the game even more punishing and unforgiving.

There is way more to this than just spacing. It's the same experience as any other 2D fighter. The no combos thing (there are a good amount of good ones too) make the game even more punishing and unforgiving.

Ah right. Sounds like a more tactical fighter in this case.

I will wait and see then. Thanks!

Nymphae

Banned
I finally beat Gauntlet mode with Ukyo last night. I moved to some of the ghost battles, but those really aren't too engaging. The ghosts are incredibly stupid and will just stand there whiffing throws and attacks, it's kind of crazy. The stage is always the Dojo, so it just gets really tiring really fast.

I tried to do a ranked match, couldn't find anything. I sat there for about 10-15 minutes waiting for a match, nothing. I tried various settings, still nothing. Pretty unreal. The menu and UI for matchmaking is super confusing too, I can't describe it off the top of my head, but I was uncertain if the game was actually trying to find me a match or not, there's no indication that anything is actually happening. I went into Casual match, found 1 guy in Hong Kong who had a 1 bar connection, and said fuck that.

Really hope this improves in the near future, because I won't be playing it much longer if I can't get online. People rag on SFV's netcode and whatnot, but I'm able to find matches every single night I try, and I don't really experience the lag other people seem to.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I finally beat Gauntlet mode with Ukyo last night. I moved to some of the ghost battles, but those really aren't too engaging. The ghosts are incredibly stupid and will just stand there whiffing throws and attacks, it's kind of crazy. The stage is always the Dojo, so it just gets really tiring really fast.

I tried to do a ranked match, couldn't find anything. I sat there for about 10-15 minutes waiting for a match, nothing. I tried various settings, still nothing. Pretty unreal. The menu and UI for matchmaking is super confusing too, I can't describe it off the top of my head, but I was uncertain if the game was actually trying to find me a match or not, there's no indication that anything is actually happening. I went into Casual match, found 1 guy in Hong Kong who had a 1 bar connection, and said fuck that.

Really hope this improves in the near future, because I won't be playing it much longer if I can't get online. People rag on SFV's netcode and whatnot, but I'm able to find matches every single night I try, and I don't really experience the lag other people seem to.
I haven't been able to find matches the past few nights I've searched either and was wondering if it was a netcode problem or if the game was already dying.

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't been able to find matches the past few nights I've searched either and was wondering if it was a netcode problem or if the game was already dying.

I have heard the netcode is absolute trash, who knows. Hopefully they can fix whatever the issue is. I love this game but if I can't play people online, it's gonna get shelved fast.

I have heard the netcode is absolute trash, who knows. Hopefully they can fix whatever the issue is. I love this game but if I can't play people online, it's gonna get shelved fast.
I only played it online once.

Strait up stuck in another fighting game afterwards to make sure my internet wasn't dying, was just the game. All the accidental DP's.....

Last edited:
So, how is everybodys verdict now, that the game is out a bit?

I am super interested in it, since I loved the old Samsho games, but I don't have any current gen console to play it on..

So, how is everybodys verdict now, that the game is out a bit?

I am super interested in it, since I loved the old Samsho games, but I don't have any current gen console to play it on..
Well the recent patch improved online a bit, but it's still not that great (actually playable now though) and matchmaking still doesn't seem to work correctly when it comes to connection bar settings, it still gives me 1 and 2 bars when I specified no lower than 3.

The game also desperately needs a balance patch stat, seems like they were in such a hurry to get the game out for Evo they didn't properly test several characters and some mechanics, which has led to stuff like this.

Otherwise it's good if you're into classic SamSho.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah I quite enjoy it but I stopped playing because I couldn't find a match online, I didn't know they updated it, maybe I'll give it another shot tonight.

Top Bottom