• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown V Special is one of the most fun, accessible, and balanced fighters

Ooh!

Thanks for reminding me I have a copy of this from the NeoGeo Bundle ages ago!

Character wise, who's worth checking out? I like the look of Kusaregedo, and I'm sorely missing Gen-An.

Neith

Banned
That game needs ScaleFX on a big screen for me. I just can't get into these super old fighters. Needs a filter badly for my preferences.

ScOULaris

That game needs ScaleFX lol. I just can't get into these super old fighters. Needs a filter badly IMO.

It looks excellent with 100% scanlines and no smoothing under the Normal setting. This uses integer scaling to scale it up cleanly without adding artifacts, and then the scanlines take care of the rest.

Narasaki

Game got updated. Nothing substantial. Just some macro and languages fixes
https://twitter.com/CodeMystics/status/928691223241506816

If you like tense, methodical, excellent paced hard hitting-samurai-badass combat, this is definitely the best fighting game ever. Every match is unpredictaboo (take that Geese) and intense. I mean, look at high level japanese tournaments of SSVS. They're more entertaining than any modern american movie! Once you learn the multiple mechanics, especially the concentration time, you will feel like a badass.

(Great quality video of a japanese high level 2017 tourney)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8DAwaiLww

My favorite character is Mizuki
mizuki-aspecial.gif
aa.gif

For begginers, game may feel hard agaisnt the cpu (even impossible), but every character has a special move that "breaks" the CPU and leaves them defenseless. You just have to found the pattern (like all the old games)

Aesthetically, yeah... the game may not be Samsho 3 or even IV (few games are that beautiful), but certainly I prefer this colour palette and atmosphere than any SFV, edgy nethearream game or run of the mile-anime fighter.

yYQe23k.gif

CICSprF.gif

A46xD3Q.gif

ZlagEWe.gif

a4K7h4o.gif

I only dislike the Kusaredo sprite, mainly because he has like three frame animation per move. Luckily, you'll never see him online (Still, I prefer him than the chunli with crocs costume).

Narasaki

Is VI any good?

I personally don't like it. It is really just a "festival" game. There is CERO atmosphere, NO BLOOD, horrible 3D atomiswave era backgrounds, mash up mechanicsfrom all games, etc. It's just a really ugly mess of a game and brings nothing new to the table. Really the ugly sheep of the saga

Narasaki

Even if the Hamster ACA neo geo guys release this, would that be a 1:1 arcade port? doesn't this game was oficially released in a censored version because the Nevada-tan incident? The AES version was also censored.

The PS4 version is a frankenstein port of both, the AES-oficially censored release with training mode and the uncesored "unofficial" unfixed version of the MVS cartridge.

If aca ever release this, it will probably be inferior to this version

Narasaki

Man, If SNK really wants to bring this franchise back, I wish someone would tell them that this game is the finger print for gameplay mechanics. Visually, just make it as pretty as SSIII and then you've the only fighting game you'll ever need, for ever.

Also I forgot: if someone wants his Bushido Blade fix... this game also can fit that bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmFDtMw2Ee0

As a big fan of sam2, it wasn't the best SS. Nostalgia glasses. If I where to play something now and hope there was a scene for it, it would be 5 special.

Top Bottom